1660 vs 2070 super

kgcolbyiii

I'm really in a bind. I currently have a 6700K OC'd 15% (max it'll go) and i'm wondering if I'm wasting money on a 2070S I'm still within my 30 day return at best buy. I do 1080p gaming as it's my 120hz monitor while my 4k is dog poo in refresh.

do you think it's worth returning and grabbing the 1660 and do a real upgrade later down the line with a complete build or just stick with the 2070S. I'm sure some amazing tech will be coming out in the next year or two. When playing COD at 1080 max settings I see the GPU at nearly 95% and the CPU at 90+%

4 minutes ago, kgcolbyiii said:

do you think it's worth returning and grabbing the 1660 and do a real upgrade later down the line with a complete build

yeah do that!

I agree with above, you'll likely have to turn down some graphics settings in very recent games on a 4-core, with that in mind the 1660 (Super, ideally) will perform more then well enough.  For CPU see if you can get it below 70% utilization, some settings turned down, in games will run much better like that.  If its a option try to try different "API"s if game offers a selection of say DX12, DX11, or Vulcan. 

Personal preferences and all, but Ultra/Max/Highest settings are never a good idea on competitive online games, Medium or High sure, but Ultra/Max is literally only for taking screenshots, not for enjoying smooth gameplay.  Almost all the twitch streamers you know with rare exception run medium, or a combo like High Textures and Anti-Aliasing, but almost everything else on lowest.  (Shroud is decent example of this)

If you get used to optimizing for a 1660 and enjoy the look of the games (right settings its like +50% more performance but looks the same during actual play), then when you do upgrade you might start thinking more "Hey could i run a 144hz 1440p, or 240hz 1080p monitor on this?", which imo is more fun way to play anything fast paced.