Anyone Else Use Linux, Terminal, And Plain Text Editors To Code??

RobL

I dont typically use Notepad ++ for java (I use eclipse for development) but for python / php & html; Yes I do use Notepad++ :D

Your not the only one

Well personally in my program at uni we all use basic gedit and terminal (whatever compiler for what ever lanuage ex. gcc g++) to code because it lets you learn more in the process. I also just personally love feeling like I made the program i am writing and no other progrm helped me with it to me you no?

Geany + Terminal in Linux :p don't really code on Windows except Java with Netbeans

i7 3770 - 16GB Patriot 1866 Mhz ddr3 - ASRock z77 extreme 6 - Radeon 7870 - Corsair 600T white - Kingston HyperX 120GB 

I use Kate for most stuff. :)

Except when I'm doing Java on Windows (doesn't happen very often), then I use Eclipse.

Now this is my kind of thread! B)

Distro: Arch Linux

Window manager: i3

terminal emulator: xterm + tmux

editor: Vim

Screenshot of my workspace when I'm working on web dev (24" screen with 1920x1200):

(click for full res version)

2013-04-14--22-56-38--workspace.png

I'm not a professional btw., so my coding practices are still in need of improvement,

but I'm working on that ;)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I'd check out Sublime Text editor if you're looking for a decent cross-platform editor. And yes, linux with sublime and the terminal are all that are required. IDEs are fantastic for getting things done, and I couldn't imagine Android development without Eclipse, but it's nice to be able to use the terminal and a text editor to figure out your mistakes on your own.

I use Sublime Text 2. The package manager is really nice and the number of plugins is as well. I'm dragging my feet purchasing a license (because it's an unlimited evaluation period with pop-ups), but I imagine it's only a matter of time before I do it.

Now this is my kind of thread! B)

Window manager: i3

terminal emulator: xterm + tmux

editor: Vim

Screenshot of my workspace when I'm working on web dev (24" screen with 1920x1200):

(click for full res version)

2013-04-14--22-56-38--workspace.png

I'm not a professional btw., so my coding practices are still in need of improvement,

but I'm working on that ;)

Crunchbang?

i7 3770 - 16GB Patriot 1866 Mhz ddr3 - ASRock z77 extreme 6 - Radeon 7870 - Corsair 600T white - Kingston HyperX 120GB 

Im glad to hear im not the only one who does this :)

also screen shot of my setup: (virtual box one one monitor windows on the other)

http://puu.sh/2IV7m.png

Gedit or Vim. Although I switched to Eclipse after I learned Java and to develop on Android.

In the rare occasions I have to code in Windows I use Eclipse for Java and Visual Studio for C# (only because I have to program in C#!).

Crunchbang?

How could I forget to mention that? :D Fixed.

Anyway, it's Arch.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

When I first started coding I used a plain text editor, then I went to a code editor and never turned back :P

Just wondering cause it seems like Im the only one!! :(

I use linux as well! gedit has always worked well for me - though im sure that there are other solutions.

When I first started coding I used a plain text editor, then I went to a code editor and never turned back :P

I use linux as well! gedit has always worked well for me - though im sure that there are other solutions.

Once you have acquired the necessary muscle memory and can actually work with it nicely,

Vim can be incredibly powerful as a code editor (I presume same thing applies to emacs).

There are some amazing addons/plugins that can do mind-boggling stuff when it comes to

productivity.

Once you have mastered some of this, you will be insanely fast and efficient at editing

code. :o

But: This takes learning, a lot of it. Persistence is absolutely key when it comes

to this. So it's not necessarily something I'd recommend to anyone. But if you can be

persistent enough and are willing to invest the time, you will get phenomenal results.

As a side note: I'm not yet there, but I am proficient enough to see how amazing things

can be once I have learned enough.

I use vim usually, but I sometimes use gedit.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Gasp! Heresy! :o

Na, I actually also use Gedit from time to time when I have to copy-paste a lot

of stuff from and to the system clipboard. It's just more convenient than vim for

that sort of stuff imho.

I have had some rather unpredictable results with Vim in that area :D

I just use linux and emacs it is all I need :) . I am not a big fan of IDEs I feel like they get in the way sometimes.

I dont really like vim as much as nano, however I dont have too much experience with vim. However I only use these when im SSHing into things though otherwise i will always use gedit, I just like to be able to see my code while im compiling or running. I know i could open another terminal window but I also like the ability to click where I want to go in my code. For me personally gedit and terminal is the most efficient way. :)

I dont really like vim as much as nano, however I dont have too much experience with vim.

Yeah it took me a long time to get somewhat efficient with Vim. The mouse thing wasn't really

a problem since I had never worked with the mouse when editing text anyway, but if somebody

has gotten used to that then the change from something like Gedit to Vim will certainly be

even more drastic than it was for me.

If you have the time and persistence to get proficient at using Vim it can be absolutely amazing,

especially once you start making your own custom commands and stuff, but I definitely would not

recommend it to just anyone.

Yeah it took me a long time to get somewhat efficient with Vim. The mouse thing wasn't really

a problem since I had never worked with the mouse when editing text anyway, but if somebody

has gotten used to that then the change from something like Gedit to Vim will certainly be

even more drastic than it was for me.

If you have the time and persistence to get proficient at using Vim it can be absolutely amazing,

especially once you start making your own custom commands and stuff, but I definitely would not

recommend it to just anyone.

What type of custom commands do u mean? Like I use bash scripts and such but like what r some examples of these custom commands??

What type of custom commands do u mean? Like I use bash scripts and such but like what r some examples of these custom commands??

One of the most important features is the <LEADER> key. Basically it's a shortcut that

allows you to be much quicker. If you press the <LEADER> key and then quickly after that

another key you get a special key combination that can do all sorts of commands.

So, I can do this:

<LEADER> q: quit (equivalent to :q)<LEADER> w: write (equivalent to :w)<LEADER> ~: force quit (:q!)
This avoids you to have to type "Esc Shift ; q Return", for example. So instead of 5 key

presses you only have two: "<LEADER> q". I know it doesn't sound like all that much, but

it makes things a lot quicker (and a lot more comfortable since you don't have

to reach for that out-of-the-way Esc key as often).

Also, you can configure key successions to mean special things, for example when I'm in

insert mode I can do this:

j l: Escj k: Esc :w
So any time I want to leave insert mode I can just hit j and k in quick succession and I

will be put into command mode and the document will automatically be saved.

Another thing is PAR. You can very nicely format your text with it. See here for an excellent tutorial.

I could upload my ~/.vimrc to my server if you like, then you could have a look at it.

One of the most important features is the <LEADER> key. Basically it's a shortcut that

allows you to be much quicker. If you press the <LEADER> key and then quickly after that

another key you get a special key combination that can do all sorts of commands.

So, I can do this:

<LEADER> q: quit (equivalent to :q)<LEADER> w: write (equivalent to :w)<LEADER> ~: force quit (:q!)
This avoids you to have to type "Esc Shift ; q Return", for example. So instead of 5 key

presses you only have two: "<LEADER> q". I know it doesn't sound like all that much, but

it makes things a lot quicker (and a lot more comfortable since you don't have

to reach for that out-of-the-way Esc key as often).

Also, you can configure key successions to mean special things, for example when I'm in

insert mode I can do this:

j l: Escj k: Esc :w
So any time I want to leave insert mode I can just hit j and k in quick succession and I

will be put into command mode and the document will automatically be saved.

Another thing is PAR. You can very nicely format your text with it. See here for an excellent tutorial.

I could upload my ~/.vimrc to my server if you like, then you could have a look at it.

I see what your saying now but im guessing it takes a long time to get used to am I write?? :P Also thanks for the offer but right now im pretty content with using gedit lol but if i ever want to try vim out I know how ill come talk to first :)