New Power Supply needed. What do I need to know?

Hughie

My Power Supply broke down earlier, started to smell smoky. Not good. Need a new one quickly. The old one (and I mean old; from 2012) is a Dell 300W supply. I'm looking to upgrade a few components in the future. I'm thinking 400/450W will be good enough for now, but I'd like to know if all power supplied are the same size, will the screw holes in the case line up with the one I decide to pick? Do all power supplies offer the right cables for my pc? Are all supplies set up to suit most setups?

Cheers.

So you have a dell prebuild? Wich model?
If it is a standard unit this will help: 

but I guess it is something DELL properiary 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

There is the ATX standard, which decides the physical form factor (other than length), screw holes, cables, 'sort of power', etc.

But when we're dealing with a prebuilt, it's entirely possible it doesn't adhere to these standards.

Easiest way to check is to look at your motherboard. Does it have a large 24 pin (12x2 pin) connector on it? Or does it use something else.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

So you have a dell prebuild? Wich model?
If it is a standard unit this will help: 

but I guess it is something DELL properiary 

It was an off the shelf purchase from their website. Inspiron 660 I think? The supply model is a HU300PM-01

6 minutes ago, minibois said:

There is the ATX standard, which decides the physical form factor (other than length), screw holes, cables, 'sort of power', etc.

But when we're dealing with a prebuilt, it's entirely possible it doesn't adhere to these standards.

Easiest way to check is to look at your motherboard. Does it have a large 24 pin (12x2 pin) connector on it? Or does it use something else.

Yeah it is a 24 pin connector.

1 minute ago, Hughie said:

Yeah it is a 24 pin connector.

Yup the PSU seems to be ATX. So then go to the list and pic something from tier B+

Oh and the sort of price/perf champ is the Bitfenix formula gold. 550W are not that expensive but hella nice 

Just now, Metallus97 said:

Yup the PSU seems to be ATX. So then go to the list and pic something from tier B+

Oh and the sort of price/perf champ is the Bitfenix formula gold. 550W are not that expensive but hella nice 

Thx for your help. Something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020121-UK-CX550-Bronze-Supply/dp/B06X9BV5PR/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=corsair+cx+2017&qid=1576196328&sr=8-1

4 minutes ago, Hughie said:

yup :) 

Thats the non modular version wich is actually better it uses LLS topology instead of double forward like the CXm does. Therefore: nice to get the non modular one.

About cables: Since the your DELL uses ATX there should be everything you need on the PSU.