Windows problems on z370 w/9700k

TOdom
Go to solution Solved by TOdom,

Updating the BIOS solved the problem. The specific Z370 I bought at the time I bought it was earlier than the release of the 9700k so the BIOS didn't have support for it. Updated the BIOS and the ship is sailing smoothly again

I got a new processor and motherboard, the Asus z370-a ii and the Intel Core i7 9700k. I made sure they were compatible and slapped them in my PC and used the rest of my hardware from my "old" PC. I've confirmed all the old hardware works, it's when I put the new stuff in that I run into the problem. The problem occurs as soon as I try to get Windows to start in any fashion. It just freezes at the "Starting Windows" screen. I've tried booting normally from my already installed Windows 7 on my SSD. I've tried booting from my optical drive with a Windows 7 disk inside, and I've tried booting from a flash drive with windows 10. In every instance, it will freeze at the "Starting Windows" screen. I can get into the BIOS on both boards and I can get into safe mode on the previously installed Windows 7 on my SSD and I've tried finding solutions within safe mode and nothing that I did worked. If anyone has any solutions or tips they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Most likely cause: Different motherboard -> different drivers being loaded -> driver conflict.

Get a fresh install of Windows.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

I've tried:

Booting Win7 from optical drive with all other drives unplugged and plugged in(new hardware)
Booting Win10 from USB drive with all other drives unplugged and plugged in (new hardware)
Booting Win7 normally (new hardware)
Booting Win7 into safe mode and using CCleaner (new hardware)

Once I realized that booting from the new hardware wasn't going to work I put the old hardware back in. I got past the "starting windows" screen but all it led me to was my blank wallpaper with my cursor. I couldn't right click, CTRL ALT DEL, ALT F4, or anything. Safe mode didn't work and I eventually formatted my drive and reinstalled Win7 from my optical drive and it worked (thus ruling out the possibility of a bad CD or optical drive). From there I put the Win10 USB drive in to see if it was messed up and it loaded into the installation setup just fine. I didn't install Win10 though, just powered off the PC and booted from the now reinstalled Win7 on my SSD and that is where I'm currently at. 

TLDR, Windows, in any form or fashion, would not get past the "Starting Windows" screen for any reason on the new hardware

On 12/8/2019 at 11:31 AM, jj9987 said:

Most likely cause: Different motherboard -> different drivers being loaded -> driver conflict.

Get a fresh install of Windows.

I tried to fresh install windows by booting from my optical drive and it froze at the "starting windows" screen just like it did when booting from the SSD. Also tried booting from a USB drive with Win10 and it ALSO froze at "starting windows"

Sounds like you're not actually booting from USB or DVD. Make sure you have secure boot turned off.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 12/8/2019 at 11:39 AM, Vitamanic said:

Sounds like you're not actually booting from USB or DVD. Make sure you have secure boot turned off.

I spent like 16 hours on it yesterday and can't remember exactly what I have and haven't tried in terms of BIOS settings. I can tell you that I booted it from the optical drive / USB though because I tried it with and without all the other drives plugged in. I currently have the old hardware in though and I'm going to try and gather as much info/tips before placing the new hardware back in and trying again. I will definitely check the secure boot setting when I do though, thank you!

Coffee Lake isn't supported by Windows 7. There you go.

Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia Quadro P400 | Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX | Klevv Bolt XR 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS

• 3 weeks later...

Updating the BIOS solved the problem. The specific Z370 I bought at the time I bought it was earlier than the release of the 9700k so the BIOS didn't have support for it. Updated the BIOS and the ship is sailing smoothly again