12gb ram install only 10gb shows up

Go to solution Solved by roadratt,

that's weird that the packaging states that

i mean i was gaming on 8gb for the longest time- i made the upgrade this summer to 16gb and it makes a little bit of a difference when gaming, but when multitasking it's definitely noticeable. 

hope i was able to help a little bit- troubleshooting older 115x and 775 socket systems can suuuuuck.

i got my old i7 pc out for my nephew it has 8gb 2x 4gb ram installed  motherboard is asus p8p67 first version

i got given some used working ram its the same speed and volts and size as ram already installed in the system

if i add 1 4gb ram stick 12gb bios only shows 10gb if i add another ram stick 4gb to make it 16gb pc will turn on but wont boot and there is no beeps
tested every ram slot they are all fine

so i looked for a bios update i found one here https://www.asus.com/nz/Motherboards/P8P67/HelpDesk_BIOS/ 
and looking at bios update there was Improve memory compatibility 

but i download the newest bios update on there i copy it to my usb stick go into bios ez flash and then choose the bios file and if i remember correctly it says bios file failed an integrity check

what i am thinking is i got the wrong bios file? but i downloaded the correct one for my motherboard as i still have the box it came in its not a deluxe rev 3.1 ect motherboard its just the standard one

what am i doing wrong

18 minutes ago, Calling John said:

i got my old i7 pc out for my nephew it has 8gb 2x 4gb ram installed  motherboard is asus p8p67 first version

i got given some used working ram its the same speed and volts and size as ram already installed in the system

if i add 1 4gb ram stick 12gb bios only shows 10gb if i add another ram stick 4gb to make it 16gb pc will turn on but wont boot and there is no beeps

so i looked for a bios update i found one here https://www.asus.com/nz/Motherboards/P8P67/HelpDesk_BIOS/ 

but i download the newest bios update on there i copy it to my usb stick go into bios ez flash and then choose the bios file and if i remember correctly it says bios file failed an integrity check

what i am thinking is i got the wrong bios file? but i downloaded the correct one for my motherboard as i still have the box it came in its not a deluxe rev 3.1 ect motherboard its just the standard one

what am i doing wrong

Bad memory controller?

Try reinstalling CPU and CPU cooler.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

21 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Bad memory controller?

Try reinstalling CPU and CPU cooler.

i will try that

edit still says 10gb

49 minutes ago, Calling John said:

what am i doing wrong

i know it sounds dumb, but use rufus or whatever usb format utility to wipe the drive again, and try to update the bios again,

what bios version are you currently running on the board now? i know some need bios updates in steps before installing the newest one vs. going from ie. bios 0804 (first released or something of the like) to bios 3602 (newest bios to date)

4 minutes ago, roadratt said:

i know it sounds dumb, but use rufus or whatever usb format utility to wipe the drive again, and try to update the bios again,

what bios version are you currently running on the board now? i know some need bios updates in steps before installing the newest one vs. going from ie. bios 0804 (first released or something of the like) to bios 3602 (newest bios to date)

gotcha.

i would try going from what you have on there (1305) to 1401, then 2103 since it states it "improves memory compatibility" and "system stability" (so 1305 ---> 1401 ---> 2103)

the last bios on that page that mentions "improve memory compatibility" is 3207, so if you still run into issues that would be the hail mary for me if you still have the patience after all that lol

12 minutes ago, roadratt said:

gotcha.

i would try going from what you have on there (1305) to 1401, then 2103 since it states it "improves memory compatibility" and "system stability" (so 1305 ---> 1401 ---> 2103)

the last bios on that page that mentions "improve memory compatibility" is 3207, so if you still run into issues that would be the hail mary for me if you still have the patience after all that lol

i will try now

let me know how that goes, i have a friend's lga 1156 build that is built around an asus motherboard as well and i'm running into the same issue with it not recognizing RAM. good luck! ?

38 minutes ago, roadratt said:

let me know how that goes, i have a friend's lga 1156 build that is built around an asus motherboard as well and i'm running into the same issue with it not recognizing RAM. good luck! ?

i tried P8P67-ASUS-2103.rom and it installed but still shows 10gb not 12gb

i find this stupid it says on the sticker model code on it says

4g but turned out to be a 2gb sick its labeled as 4g because it comes in a pack of 2 ram sticks that = 4gb
i looked up other modes of the same ram 1gb says 2g on the stick 8gb say 16g ect so annoying

But i have a problem if i use all 4 ram stick 2x4gb and 2x2gb the pc turns on but not booting all ram slots work find

i mean i was gaming on 8gb for the longest time- i made the upgrade this summer to 16gb and it makes a little bit of a difference when gaming, but when multitasking it's definitely noticeable. 

hope i was able to help a little bit- troubleshooting older 115x and 775 socket systems can suuuuuck.

13 hours ago, roadratt said:

Before upgrading to 64GB (I had 32GB) if I left chrome up games would lag because it was right at the 32GB used mark...  with 100+ tabs also edge and firefox open

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator