Building a PC Case

CrusaderBug

So I've been looking for a good case all over the Internet but good cases are expensive as hell and then it hit me, why not build one on my own? 

Well I don't know how, I do to some extent though, I mean I know my way around acrylics, I can get my hands on it, get it cut, mold, or whatever and however I want but is acrylic good for a case? And you can't just build a case entirely out of acrylic (well you can but that won't be good right?) and that's where I'm clueless.

So any help regarding that and any other aspect will be highly appreciated.

I'll start working on it as soon as I travel to work (after 6-7 days from now)

A writer, a dreamer, a philosopher, a caring son, a loving bf & 13 other frightened individuals have filed restraining orders against me.

3 minutes ago, CrusaderBug said:

Well I don't know how, I do to some extent though, I mean I know my way around acrylics, I can get my hands on it, get it cut, mold, or whatever and however I want but is acrylic good for a case? And you can't just build a case entirely out of acrylic (well you can but that won't be good right?) and that's where I'm clueless.

You can in fact build the entire thing out of acrylic. Custom Cases from the Mid 2000's often used Acrylic and Cathode bulbs

Ultimate-UV-Reactive-Blue-Acrylic-DIY-PC.jpg

Google Search

Was it good? It didnt hurt the PC so long as you designed it correctly with proper cooling based on the heat you needed to dissipate, but does it look good? that's up to you.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

30 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Ultimate-UV-Reactive-Blue-Acrylic-DIY-PC.jpg

But does it look good? that's up to you.

This one? Looks ugly as hell, I mean this is pretty basic (and easiest) way to "build" a case and the transparent acrylic just screams cheap. I'd outdo this without even thinking about it, given all the tools and variety of acrylic i can get my hands on.

Also any design ideas are welcome.

A writer, a dreamer, a philosopher, a caring son, a loving bf & 13 other frightened individuals have filed restraining orders against me.

you could paint/ wrap the board to make it look better and maybe even cut slots for el wire if you have access to a cnc router

you could paint/ wrap the board to make it look better and maybe even cut slots for el wire if you have access to a cnc router

also here is another idea seen in the picture 

8 hours ago, jake1010 said:

8 hours ago, jake1010 said:

also here is another idea seen in the picture 

Yea i do have access to a cnc router and i already had wraps in mind and Im gonna get some el wires all thanks to you.

My case is gonna be majestic.

I'll update this thread once I start working on it.

1 hour ago, BlazeBird said:

I'm working on my own case too! Using overly thick steel as the main (and only) material.

Oh great! Keep me updated with the progress.

Two regular PC cases from scratch build behind me, Im working on my third. And when I say case...its more of a minimum space water cooling thingy. Radiators will be the sidepanels.

To build a case, you must focus on 3 areas: 

Material strength

airflow

post-build accessibility. 

If you can work out these three areas then everything else should be copy-pasta-assembly around existing parts. 

Material choice:

wood (plywood/MDF/edge glued panels): cheap, abundant, CNC friendly, forgiving when finishing-assembly. Downsides are moisture absorption and weight. 

Plastics: (Acrylic, polycarb): unique, wide range of colours/finishes. Easy to work with, stable material. Pain in the ass to finish and assemble, not CNC friendly, Needs experience to work with

Metals: strength per weight. Forgiving when finishing. Most stable material, forgiving when assembling. Most difficult to work with, requires power tools and proper workshop.

If you want design help, PM me