Changed cpu, Crashes kn boot

Yesterday I changed my cpu from a i5-9400F to a i5-9600K and suddenly my computer wont boot, and it says it’s missing winboot.efi, anyone knows why?

Head into BIOS and change the boot priority. It probably reset the BIOS settings and changed the boot drive to another one.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Head into BIOS and change the boot priority. It probably reset the BIOS settings and changed the boot drive to another one.

When i select the SSD where I have windows installed it just says “Reboot and Select proper boot device”

Go to bios and choose proper boot method. UEFI or legacy, depends on how your installation was made.

Select "UEFI only" at first then try.

If you want to choose boot order in case UEFI+Legacy mode, use "Windows Boot Loader" as priority drive, not just drive where your system is located (because UEFI+Legacy boot in bios will show you your devices both - as possible to boot in Legacy or UEFI mode, and you probably selected Legacy mode device).

Sorry for not so great explanation, but I hope you'll change it proper.

52 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Go to bios and choose proper boot method. UEFI or legacy, depends on how your installation was made.

Select "UEFI only" at first then try.

If you want to choose boot order in case UEFI+Legacy mode, use "Windows Boot Loader" as priority drive, not just drive where your system is located (because UEFI+Legacy boot in bios will show you your devices both - as possible to boot in Legacy or UEFI mode, and you probably selected Legacy mode device).

Sorry for not so great explanation, but I hope you'll change it proper.

We can say for sure its a UEFI installation as its using the EFI Boot Loader.

56 minutes ago, Liniz00 said:

When i select the SSD where I have windows installed it just says “Reboot and Select proper boot device”

If the above instructions don't work boot from your installation media, click Repair My Computer then select Boot Repair and see if Windows will repair it or not. If not then its BCD editing which in my experience rarely works.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If not then its BCD editing which in my experience rarely works.

Ay, that is a head ache and needs reading and understanding a lot of commands in command line. But it does work.

Easier (and probably faster)  would be doing an automated repair or refresh-install, keeping settings and files if it is possible, of course.

I edit my posts more often than not

Repair Windows or reinstall or anything like that is not necessary - especially when OP only replace processor. Accidentally resetting BIOS settings is what happend (95%). Some BIOS-es gives option like "load default settings" in case something was changed in hardware. If OP do not skip that but choose that option - the only he should do is to proper re-configure BIOS.

It turned out the 9600k where broken from store. It wouldn't even go into bios when they tested it in the store