HDR screen weird colors

Thomas.dk

Hi All.. First tread on this forum. Long time viewer of linus tho..

Just got my "new" LG 38WK95c monitor and was looking forward to finaly got HDR screen. But when i turn on HDR in windows i get a really doll picture and really what not what i expected

The colors are way more vivid without HDR enabled.. Of cause i tried diffrent settings but no luck.. Also installed drivers and so on

Any tips?

I attach 2 pictures taking with my phone..

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

Most images and GUI elements are designed with "SDR" in mind. When Windows switches to HDR, it changes the so-called color space from sRGB to something that covers a wider area. Windows doesn't try to map "SDR" elements to "HDR" directly, because it may lead to undesirable effects like blasting your eyes with a super bright image.

So there's no features that can enable HDR when playing a game and then disable it again when on desktop?

5 hours ago, Thomas.dk said:

So there's no features that can enable HDR when playing a game and then disable it again when on desktop?

You would think they would have this but no. If your game has an option to enable HDR you don’t need to enable it in windows, just the game. When the game is closed you will go back to SDR. 

• 2 years later...

There is something I found that works for me.

Go to Windows HD Color settings.
Scroll down and under the HDR/SDR brightness balance set it to max = 100.

This fixed it mostly for me you still can adjust the colors in your display drivers or monitor settings.

It's not the best but acceptable.

7 hours ago, A_hungry_tall_dutchman said:

There is something I found that works for me.

Go to Windows HD Color settings.
Scroll down and under the HDR/SDR brightness balance set it to max = 100.

This fixed it mostly for me you still can adjust the colors in your display drivers or monitor settings.

It's not the best but acceptable.

This slider doesn't change anything about colors. It's only a slider to adjust how bright SDR content will be while you have HDR enabled.

A higher brightness does look more saturated to your eyes, but the values don't change.

If the HDR implementation on a monitor is so bad that the Windows desktop looks washed out it's probably best to leave it disabled all the time.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Configure it then just win+alt+b when you have a game that supports it.  I didn't mess with it with normal monitors with crappy HDR but it is a huge improvement on my 48in OLED.

Not sure how a proper LCD HDR implementation works but the TV also automatically boosts from my SDR brightness of 50/50 to 100/100 when it detects HDR.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator