Scrapyard build randomly shutting down...even in UEFI

Hej Guys, 

So I've been trying to build a cheapo PC for my parents to use (its like my 8th "build" or so, never had any trouble)

First, Setup: 

I5 4460 (delidded - could have gone wrong, doubt it as it starts and its not my first delid)

H81M-E34 (used)

4GB DDR3 1333 (used)

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 (new)

No GPU as of yet. 

Second, Problem: 

It just random shuts down and goes into a bootloop after that. Windows install gets to about 35% (File Transfer) 

It also randomly shuts down after x min in UEFI

Temps are okayish (34 in idle, low profile cooler) 

I could try it with an haswell I3 and flash the newest firmware. 

But first Id like to ask if somebody ever had a similar problem?

Cheers, 

Johannes

If CPU isn't overheating, then run memtest on the ram in case that is bad? If you have access to other compatible parts, swapping things around could narrow it down.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Do you have an infrared thermometer or something to measure temps in arbitrary parts of the motherboard?
The i3 could come in handy to test the motherboard (it could have dying components, or partially failed VRMs, or something).

Also, switching the RAM stick(s) to different slots, connect only what is strictly necessary, etc

That seems to be a good idea. I do have an ir thermometer. Gonna try that tomorrow also the i3. ... 

I bet it's something rather simple in the end, as usual :D 

On 12/3/2019 at 6:48 PM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Do you have an infrared thermometer or something to measure temps in arbitrary parts of the motherboard?
The i3 could come in handy to test the motherboard (it could have dying components, or partially failed VRMs, or something).

Also, switching the RAM stick(s) to different slots, connect only what is strictly necessary, etc

The culprit was the firmware... Dang it... It was still on rev. 0 ... Plain luck that I had the i3 still in storage :D