RX 5700: are the driver problems still there?

KayGames

Hi.

I am looking to buy an Sapphire RX 5700, but I read a lot about bad drivers. Is that still a problem? If so, what are the problems right now?

19.10.1 stable  19.7.1 stable,     and so far no probs on 19.11.3 ( but not sure if stable yet on 19.11.3 )

using sapphire 5700 xt

(◑‿◐)

I've got a gigabyte 5700 reference design and the only issues I've had with the newest drivers is that the custom fan curve for MSI afterburner will cause the screen to flash to black constantly.  I have no idea why, but using the AMD Wattman fan curve instead has fixed the issue completely.  I still use Afterburner for its hardware monitoring with no issues.

Since the latest drivers, I have had zero issues with my games.  I've played at least 20 since the newest drivers as a way of testing the new driver's stability across a variety of games.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

37 minutes ago, Polyvalent said:

I've got a gigabyte 5700 reference design and the only issues I've had with the newest drivers is that the custom fan curve for MSI afterburner will cause the screen to flash to black constantly.  I have no idea why, but using the AMD Wattman fan curve instead has fixed the issue completely.  I still use Afterburner for its hardware monitoring with no issues.

Since the latest drivers, I have had zero issues with my games.  I've played at least 20 since the newest drivers as a way of testing the new driver's stability across a variety of games.

yh only 19.7.1  /  19.10.1 stable   , still testing 19.11.3

(◑‿◐)

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

yh only 19.7.1  /  19.10.1 stable   , still testing 19.11.3

4 hours ago, Polyvalent said:

Thanks a lot! 

This is exactly my question.  I am seriously considering a 5700 XT but there are enough people complaining about issues that I am a bit hesitant to buy one.  It doesn't help that the biggest issue I see complaints about, the intermittent loss of display or video signal during gameplay, is still listed as a known issue on the 19.12.1 Hotfix updated yesterday on 12/2/2019.  Some people say this issue happens maybe once in a blue moon, others say they are having this issue constantly.

I guess the worse case scenario would be having to return the card because it appears you either have issues or you don't with most not really having many issues.  The problem may be some combination of hardware/software that only 2% of users have.

I recently switched back to Nvidia . But I was running a R9380 for almost 4 or 5 years (not sure about the timeline) and AMD performed well at some times and not so well at others . Sometimes they release bad GPU drivers but not long after they release updates to fix those issues . I'd say I'm still very impressed with AMD and my R9380 . And that gpu still works till today . I recently played borderlands 3 on it with medium-high settings at 60fps no problem 

10 hours ago, Polyvalent said:

I just got a GB 5700XT as well. and I  can't control the fan speed with this silly Wattman thing, it reads the rpm as insanely high some times at random (it adds a 0 on the end?!) and it maxes the fans so I have to reboot to fix it. Many driver crashes and hitching too so far with the newest ones...

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit

2 hours ago, IcarusLSC said:

I just got a GB 5700XT as well. and I  can't control the fan speed with this silly Wattman thing, it reads the rpm as insanely high some times at random (it adds a 0 on the end?!) and it maxes the fans so I have to reboot to fix it. Many driver crashes and hitching too so far with the newest ones...

Yeah the fan speed is one of the know issues though typically not a game breaking one.   The crashing and hitching though are a major concern.

Looks like Wattman is the main culprit. I've read other programs don't work with the AMD cards like Afterburner etc, but didn't try it out. Once the AMD drivers mature a little it will be a great card I think...

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit