little pads to put between CPU fan and heatsink

Thready

I need some padding to put between my new CPU fan and the heatsink it's connected to. The fan that came with it crapped out and I'm now using a new 120mm Noctua fan, but I would like some padding to put between it and the heatsink to minimize vibrational noise. 

I was thinking of tripling up on a bit of masking tape but I don't know if that would melt. Any thoughts?

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Masking tape is paper. It’s good to well over 400f.  The glue on the back could get sticky and nasty though.  Silicone would be the thing. It’s spongy and incredibly heat resistant.  Also great for absorbing vibration.  They make all kinds of really cheap stuff out of silicone. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

What cooler and fan are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Most fans come with pads. So if you bought Noctua fan, and it had broken pads, get it RMA'd. Or maybe even contact Noctua directly for replacements.

If you are looking at more DIY style, use those rubber pads people put under furniture to prevent movement. They have sticker to place them onto fan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What cooler and fan are you using?

Arctic Freezer 34. The fan that came with it whines a bit under load. I have a black noctua case fan I never used that I would like to put on there instead. 

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Just now, Thready said:

Arctic Freezer 34. The fan that came with it whines a bit under load. I have a black noctua case fan I never used that I would like to put on there instead. 

A case fan would be light on static pressure compared to a cpu fan.  Might not matter though.  The new noctuas come with silicone bumpers.  An old case fan might not have them I suppose.  This might be a non problem. If it doesn’t have rubberized corners I’m liking @LogicalDrm’s idea myself. The non skid ones will likely have silicone or silicon used plastic pads so win all around

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I've used lots of Noctua's, and none have vibrated unless its broken. Put it on and try it without worry first and see how it works, then decide if you need something in there...

ps: Noctua service is exceptional if you ever have a fan quit on you.

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit