Vega 56 crossfire extreme flickering

16 minutes ago, Juular said:

See, OP, do this occur in all\most games or only in GTA V ? Did you try running only one of the GPUs to see if they're stable one by one ?

Well I have only been able to try and see it in GTA V and call of duty black ops 3. Red dead redemption 2 isn't configured to use 2 GPU's so it works fine since it's only using one gpu and I see framerates around 60fps in 1080p with mostly high settings. GTA 4 crashes on startup but that's to be expected with this horrible optimized game. Half life 2 also work but that's only using one GPU as well but to be honest that game only use at most 20% of one gpu and cpu.

Yes both GPU's are stable one by one in any of the PCIe slots

5 minutes ago, Juular said:

Corsair CXm is like the cheapest PSU that could handle this config at all, that doesn't mean it's okay for it tho.

It is perfectly fine for this config. 

Its not great being singlerail and all, but perfectly workable.

6 minutes ago, vibbelito said:

Well I have only been able to try and see it in GTA V and call of duty black ops 3. Red dead redemption 2 isn't configured to use 2 GPU's so it works fine since it's only using one gpu and I see framerates around 60fps in 1080p with mostly high settings. GTA 4 crashes on startup but that's to be expected with this horrible optimized game. Half life 2 also work but that's only using one GPU as well but to be honest that game only use at most 20% of one gpu and cpu.

Yes both GPU's are stable one by one in any of the PCIe slots

Hmm, then it's probably the issue with drivers and GTA V not working together good enough.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

It is perfectly fine for this config. 

Its not great being singlerail and all, but perfectly workable.

I could try to power the second GPU from an external 500w psu to eliminate the psu being the cause.

1 minute ago, vibbelito said:

I could try to power the second GPU from an external 500w psu to eliminate the psu being the cause.

You could, but since crossfire really doesnt load the GPU fully. Shouldnt be an issue. 

Can allways try tho. 

I suspect the PCIe bandwidth being the issue.

10 minutes ago, Juular said:

Hmm, then it's probably the issue with drivers and GTA V not working together good enough.

Yeah but I see the exact same problem in black ops 3. But it could very well be driver issues somewhere in the system but I haven't red anywhere on the internet of someone else having this weird problem. I have also disabled ulps and manually activated crossfire in registry but that made no difference in game. It only made it so that both GPU's are utilized.

2 minutes ago, vibbelito said:

Yeah but I see the exact same problem in black ops 3. But it could very well be driver issues somewhere in the system but I haven't red anywhere on the internet of someone else having this weird problem. I have also disabled ulps and manually activated crossfire in registry but that made no difference in game. It only made it so that both GPU's are utilized.

Then i'm confident that it's PSU issue. Can you bring your friend's Corsair *something*850i to test it ?

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

You could, but since crossfire really doesnt load the GPU fully. Shouldnt be an issue. 

Can allways try tho. 

I suspect the PCIe bandwidth being the issue.

I could then instead try them in an older Dell optiolex with an i7-2600 which should actually be a little faster in games than my FX8350. But I don't know if the PCIe lanes in that pc is up to par either in case that's the problem. But that pc at least has a newly installed windows 10 os 

7 minutes ago, Juular said:

Then i'm confident that it's PSU issue. Can you bring your friend's Corsair *something*850i to test it ?

I don't think I can do that. I will however be getting a HP xw8600 in the coming week that should come with either an 800w or 1050w server workstation grade 80plus PSU

All of the image problem will be because of the crossfire profiles. Try Superposition and set up a profile for it.  When you get it running ok set one up for the games that you want. 

Be aware that unreal engine games cant run multi gpus , Dx12 does not depend of the drivers but the devs that built the game. 

Run the same clocks and setings on the cards. 

21 minutes ago, vibbelito said:

But I don't know if the PCIe lanes in that pc is up to par either in case that's the problem.

ideally you would want 8x pcie 2.0 to each card. ideally a touch more. 

something not all mobos offer. 

11 minutes ago, vibbelito said:

I don't think I can do that. I will however be getting a HP xw8600 in the coming week that should come with either an 800w or 1050w server workstation grade 80plus PSU

If it has PCI-e power connectors to start with.

2 hours ago, vibbelito said:

GPU 1 - Sapphire AMD RX Vega 56 with 64 bios

GPU 2 - Sapphire AMD RX Vega 56 with 64 bios

Latest amd drivers.

CPU - AMD FX8350

MB - ASUS M5A97 R2.0

RAM - corsair vengeance ddr3 1600mhz 3x4gb 12gb

PSU - corsair CX850m

OS - windows 10 on a 240gb SSD

Games on a 7200rpm 500gb HDD

Looks like someone dropped ALL his budget on the GPUs!

I don't usually judge people's builds. It's their computer, their money and ultimately; their headache but this build is very VERY questionable! I just can't help myself here, hence I'll ask it out loud:

What possessed you to pair a bloody FX8350 with 2x Vega 56s, which are practically Vega 64s?! I mean, that CPU can't even keep-up with an ancient i5-3570K!

I'm sorry mate but this build is simply... Bananas! I mean, you bought two very VERY hot GPUs, then you flashed each of them with an 'overclocked' BIOS, then you just jammed them together inside your PC with a very VERY hot CPU that can barely keep-up with a Vega 56 running solo, let alone a Vega 64.

It'd have made perfect sense if you were a YouTuber seeking as many views as possible! I mean, I find this 'rig' oddly satisfying to my curiosity bug. In fact, I'd PAY to see a small 'documentary' about it!

In any case, I'd suggest you to partially dismantle this furnace of a PC, sell one of the GPUs, buy a Ryzen 5 1400 (Dirt cheap on ebay & AliExpress) and pair it with a cheap, yet still very capable B450 motherboard. You'll also have to replace the RAM, BTW. 

Lastly, I've never had any experience with Crossfire/SLI systems so can't be of any help in that regard, sorry. 

44 minutes ago, Xkillerpn said:

All of the image problem will be because of the crossfire profiles. Try Superposition and set up a profile for it.  When you get it running ok set one up for the games that you want. 

Be aware that unreal engine games cant run multi gpus , Dx12 does not depend of the drivers but the devs that built the game. 

Run the same clocks and setings on the cards. 

I will try superposition and see what I can come up with. And set the GPU's at exactly the same settings if that will help.

A single OC Vega 56 isn't a slow card still so I will be fine in the few games I play that doesn't support multi gpu. I'm really not a hard core gamer and has barely touched this pc in 3 years so I only have a few select titles that I play.

50 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

ideally you would want 8x pcie 2.0 to each card. ideally a touch more. 

something not all mobos offer. 

The hp xw8600 has dual 16x 2.0 ports so I could try the cards in that ones I get it. Althoug that pc with dual 4 core xenon processors would bottleneck the cards even more.

49 minutes ago, Juular said:

If it has PCI-e power connectors to start with.

It probably doesn't. I have aslo Access to a FSP 650-80EGN 650W psu. But that would probably not have enough power.

50 minutes ago, Man said:

I'm sorry mate but this build is simply... Bananas!

B. A. N. A. N. A. S !

3 minutes ago, vibbelito said:

It probably doesn't. I have aslo Access to a FSP 650-80EGN 650W psu. But that would probably not have enough power.

Looks like you have a lot of hardware lying around, how about just selling it and buying a new up-to-date PC instead ?

1 hour ago, Man said:

Looks like someone dropped ALL his budget on the GPUs!

I don't usually judge people's builds. It's their computer, their money and ultimately; their headache but this build is very VERY questionable! I just can't help myself here, hence I'll ask it out loud:

What possessed you to pair a bloody FX8350 with 2x Vega 56s, which are practically Vega 64s?! I mean, that CPU can't even keep-up with an ancient i5-3570K!

I'm sorry mate but this build is simply... Bananas! I mean, you bought two very VERY hot GPUs, then you flashed each of them with an 'overclocked' BIOS, then you just jammed them together inside your PC with a very VERY hot CPU that can barely keep-up with a Vega 56 running solo, let alone a Vega 64.

It'd have made perfect sense if you were a YouTuber seeking as many views as possible! I mean, I find this 'rig' oddly satisfying to my curiosity bug. In fact, I'd PAY to see a small 'documentary' about it!

In any case, I'd suggest you to partially dismantle this furnace of a PC, sell one of the GPUs, buy a Ryzen 5 1400 (Dirt cheap on ebay & AliExpress) and pair it with a cheap, yet still very capable B450 motherboard. You'll also have to replace the RAM, BTW. 

Lastly, I've never had any experience with Crossfire/SLI systems so can't be of any help in that regard, sorry. 

This made me crack up a little since I do know it's a really unbalanced rig and the whole thing is rather silly and me to would enjoy seeing this thing covered on a reputable YouTube channel. ? 

Anyway I built this pc back in 2014/2015 and was paired up with a radeon HD7970. That was passed down to me since I was still in school back then = no money. So I now decided to start upgrading the bloody thing and started with new gpu which I felt would make the largest impact (which it did, almost double performance by a single card) and based on that I would evaluate how much of a bottleneck the ancient FX cpu is mostly for fun while I'm waiting for the i7-4770 rig to arrive which costed me 40usd including 16gb ram and a 250gb ssd . And if that still isn't enough I will start looking at building a ryzen 9 3950x setup which surely won't bottleneck any gpu for a few years to come. 

52 minutes ago, Juular said:

Looks like you have a lot of hardware lying around, how about just selling it and buying a new up-to-date PC instead ?

Nah that PSU is currently installed in my brother's pc that's also running an FX8350 and a R9 390 gpu.

All other hardware I have lying around is pretty much worthless today except maybe a Dell optiplex with an i5-2500 that currently sits unused. But not really worth the hassle trying to sell the things.

What sold me on dual Vega 56 was this video showing them destroying an RTX 2070

And since that when they are overclocked basically becomes a vega 64. And crossfire vega 64 mostly come out ahead of a single RTX 2080ti in most games tested in this video

So this is why I would want this setup to really work and not be all flashing like this.

10 minutes ago, vibbelito said:

What sold me on dual Vega 56 was this video showing them destroying an RTX 2070

And since that when they are overclocked basically becomes a vega 64. And crossfire vega 64 mostly come out ahead of a single RTX 2080ti in most games tested in this video

Thing is, comparing nVidia and AMD gaming performance is a very tricky stuff, it might be a huge difference in favor of AMD in some games and exactly huge difference in favor of nVidia in others. But, you forgot about AMD Navi, RX5700XT is faster than both Vega 56 and 64 on average and it's AMD to AMD comparison so situation would be pretty much the same across the board, it would've been way better choice than two 300W GPUs. And you really forgot that you will need a very good PSU for them, again, Corsair CX is nothing but fine for them but i would've recommended way better PSU for them, on the level of Corsair RMi\HXi\AXi 1000W while you coudl've been good with Corsair CX850m for RX5700XT (i'd still recommend getting smth better but it's at least not so grossly inappropriate).

Okay so according to my power meter consumption at idle was about 115W and I couldn't get it to draw more than 380W through the meter for some reason Running RDR2 on only one gpu and whilst powered through the meter GTA V saw even more and longer blackouts and unresponsiveness which is weird. It's like the pc isn't able to draw enough current through the wall and therefore almost crashing the game when trying to draw more than around 350w on about 40-60% load. Then cpu and gpu utilization dropped down to barely anything and screen going black for a second and then coming back.

I have also tried to power my second gpu via an external 500W psu with the same results so I now know my psu can't be to blame. 

I have also tried to move the pc to a different circuit of the house and connecting it to a normal Dell monitor over display port with the exact same result.

x4 slot likely the culprit - I would assume you need x8 x8 for this to run smoothly in crossfire.

Also I have to also point out, the already pointed out - FX 8350 - that CPU is choking the ever living hell out of a single, let alone dual Vega 56's - My FX 8350 running in my house right now in crossfire with 2x HD7850 GPU's is like...barely not a bottleneck lol.  Im assuming that the x4 is choking the second card out causing the flashing but you aren't going to get any performance gain in Crossfire with that CPU as its not fulling utilizing 1 of those GPU's - my 2 copper coins.

EDIT - just to see, there is a 350% difference between a HD 7850 and Vega 56, so it may just be a combination of CPU and x4 bandwidth or the x4 bandwidth alone.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

x4 slot likely the culprit - I would assume you need x8 x8 for this to run smoothly in crossfire.

Also I have to also point out, the already pointed out - FX 8350 - that CPU is choking the ever living hell out of a single, let alone dual Vega 56's - My FX 8350 running in my house right now in crossfire with 2x HD7850 GPU's is like...barely not a bottleneck lol.  Im assuming that the x4 is choking the second card out causing the flashing but you aren't going to get any performance gain in Crossfire with that CPU as its not fulling utilizing 1 of those GPU's - my 2 copper coins.

EDIT - just to see, there is a 350% difference between a HD 7850 and Vega 56, so it may just be a combination of CPU and x4 bandwidth or the x4 bandwidth alone.

You are probably correct in that these fast cards aren't able to communicate fast enough with each other over that PCIe gen 2 x4 slot. I have ran a few tests wit the superposition benchmark and by the looks of it the flashing is much less visible when running a 720p test and when running a 4k test the screen is more black than anything else which to me indicates that it isn't able to synchronize the frames between the two cards. 

I will do one final test today and that is to swap out the FX-8350 and MB with an i7-2600 with DELL oem MB. Which I guess also only have a x4 slot. But it's worth a try.