"There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made"

K i a r a

Hey 

so like the title says, I tried to wipe my drives, I do this like once every year. Also getting a new GPU so wanted everything clean

I just cleaned my computer, Taking everything out. 

and I went to go reset it, it did its normal like getting ready stages, Then made 3/4 random ticking sounds and shut off then I got the error of "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made"

Anyone have any ideas?

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

Usually caused by a f-ed up system configuration or files. 

Download latest Windows 10 ISO and do repair install or even better a proper clean install. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

10 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Usually caused by a f-ed up system configuration or files. 

Download latest Windows 10 ISO and do repair install or even better a proper clean install. 

Sorry I posted this before I went to bed. 

so doing the USB method should solve this issue? First time I’ve ever seem this issue 

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

M y  R e v i e w s 

More Coming Soon...

13 hours ago, K i a r a said:

tried to wipe my drives, I do this like once every year. 

Many problems people have on this forum because unnecessary and pointless reinstall or "clean install". If your system works - keep it that way and find different hobby. There are so many things you can do on your computer - all of them more interesting than installing system.

1 hour ago, K i a r a said:

so doing the USB method should solve this issue? First time I’ve ever seem this issue 

This is the only way this somewhat reliable works.  It's the same as DDU your GPU drivers before reinstalling them  

Honestly no idea why it's so hard for manufacturers to make working software / installers / etc but it just is. 

At least Microsoft provides this USB "workaround" 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I would not consider a clean install a "workaround". It's literally reformatting your drives and starting from scratch as if the drives were brand new out of the box. @Mark Kaine

5 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I would not consider a clean install a "workaround"

I do though.  Because the "normal" way would be using the internal reset function provided in Windows (which is very unreliable) 

It's like if I wanted to reset my phone, I would need to download the OS from Google first...  

Seems like you already accepted the workaround as the normal solution,  but it's still a workaround as Windows has this functionality built in (it's just broken forever) 

Also btw,  this method does not show hidden partitions such as hidden OEM partitions,  so it doesn't completely format either. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

I do though.  Because the "normal" way would be using the internal reset function provided in Windows (which is very unreliable) 

It's like if I wanted to reset my phone, I would need to download the OS from Google first...  

Seems like you already accepted the workaround as the normal solution,  but it's still a workaround as Windows has this functionality built in (it's just broken forever) 

Also btw,  this method does not show hidden partitions such as hidden OEM partitions,  so it doesn't completely format either. 

Fair enough. In the regard of using the internal reset function, how are you supposed to know what it's resetting to? If You had a Windows 10 OS since version 1607 and onwards... you'd have 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809, 1903, and now potentially 1909 as major feature updates to the operating system. Throughout all of those "upgrades" who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

The reason I accept a USB or DVD ISO as "normal" is because you know exactly what version you have and what's installing. No reverts or any of that nonsense trying to keep files.

This method does in fact let you remove OEM partitions. I've done so hundreds of times to our HP computers at work.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Fair enough. In the regard of using the internal reset function, how are you supposed to know what it's resetting to? If You had a Windows 10 OS since version 1607 and onwards...

Good point,  that maybe why it's broken or not working as it should. 

But theoretically it should reset to exactly the version that's already installed. 

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

This method does in fact let you remove OEM partitions. I've done so hundreds of times to our HP computers at work.

But where they hidden? 

I just know that didn't work on my Lenovo laptop,  I had to do some command (I think disk part)  and only then I could have one partition to install Windows on,  was good for freeing up like 20 GB or so iirc. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I just know that didn't work on my Lenovo laptop,  I had to do some command (I think disk part)  and only then I could have one partition to install Windows on,  was good for freeing up like 20 GB or so iirc. 

I'm assuming you just clicked "next" through most of the boxes. At some point there is an "advanced" mode or manual install option that is not selected by default. You have to go there to delete them. I've never worked on a Lenovo so there's a possibility they are different, although I doubt it would be hidden.

Just now, NinJake said:

I'm assuming you just clicked "next" through most of the boxes. At some point there is an "advanced" mode or manual install option that is not selected by default. You have to go there to delete them. I've never worked on a Lenovo so there's a possibility they are different, although I doubt it would be hidden.

That's exactly what it was though,  there were several hidden partitions... setup didn't show them and it was a pain to figure out how to remove them. 

Which is why I also initially said "hidden" OEM partitions it doesn't show them and it's not supposed to because then you would lose your very valuable Lenovo partitions!  Oh noes. ;)

I never said it's all manufacturers doing this,  but I also kinda doubt Lenovo is the only one doing it lol...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Clean install, reset windows, reinstall system... All of these gives lot of fun for people who literally do nothing interesting on computers. I bet that Microsoft give that "reset" option just for people who complain that they must reinstall Windows every month (week? day?) for "some" reason. So Microsoft made them happy. And what if it not working? Well, not so big problem - then Microsoft give you another toy to play with their operating system - USB creator tool, so you can reinstall system. Or made clean install, or whatever makes you happy. Mac users (and linux probably too) have lot of laugh about how Windows users treat their system - apparently Windows must be installed all the time, every week or month, or at least year!

Computers are for using them. Operating system is background for hardware and software, it's not final goal to have "system installed".

Anyway - if someone prefer made clean install every year, it's his choice. But then - why complain that something goes wrong? I can only agree - something was wrong at the beginning, when someone made a decission to reset / clean install.

31 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Clean install, reset windows, reinstall system... All of these gives lot of fun for people who literally do nothing interesting on computers. I bet that Microsoft give that "reset" option just for people who complain that they must reinstall Windows every month (week? day?) for "some" reason. So Microsoft made them happy. And what if it not working? Well, not so big problem - then Microsoft give you another toy to play with their operating system - USB creator tool, so you can reinstall system. Or made clean install, or whatever makes you happy. Mac users (and linux probably too) have lot of laugh about how Windows users treat their system - apparently Windows must be installed all the time, every week or month, or at least year!

Computers are for using them. Operating system is background for hardware and software, it's not final goal to have "system installed".

Anyway - if someone prefer made clean install every year, it's his choice. But then - why complain that something goes wrong? I can only agree - something was wrong at the beginning, when someone made a decission to reset / clean install.

Well it *did* free up space on my Lenovo desktop removing all those stupid apps Lenovo put there! 

It also made my Lenovo laptop working again, which it barely did after a *forced* windows update broke most of its functionality... 

I mean I definitely agree with you,  if someone resets their computer there's usually a reason for it. 

Most people don't do it for fun though,  some might though.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

why complain that something goes wrong?

? How is any of this complaining, I simply asked a question on a forum and was looking for help because I ran into an issue. 

M Y  S T U F F

M y  R e v i e w s 

More Coming Soon...

9 hours ago, K i a r a said:

You don't need to use USB. Download the ISO, mount it as virtual dvd drive with window explorer and click Setup.exe

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |