What makes a shooter good

iLikeBananas

Hi

so I wanted to start a discussion about shooters, and what makes them good. I want to know how other people feel about them and I will share my opinion on it too.

Just gonna start with my opinion. Counter Strike, Half Life (first one), UT, Serious Sam and Painkiller are imo the perfect shooters. A enemy has to die in one hit, assault rifles need to be turned down and I need dozens of enemies coming at me at once. The games I named above have these things. Counter Strike, you headshot the enemy with a deagle or ak and they die. Half Life, you got the shotgun and gauss gun. You charge it up and one shot enemies. And what I love about all of those weapons is that you are basically dead if you miss your shot. The gauss gun takes a while to charge up, if you miss your shot you give your enemy time to turn around and kill you instead.

This automatically nerfs most assault rifles, because those usually need more than just one hit to kill you.

Well, and this is basically why I hate most modern shooters. Borderlands, Doom or all the zombie games that got released lately don't have these features. In most of them you get yourself a assault rifle and just shoot into the crowd. And worst off all, enemies are tanky as hell. It takes ages to take one down.

That's very subjective. CS is PvP and mostly geared towards realism. Something like Borderlands is PvM and having big tanky monsters that you have to take down in a drawn out firefight while attempting to survive can be more entertaining/engaging than simply one-shotting everything.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's very subjective.

Well yes, it's my opinion it's supposed to be subjective :D.

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Something like Borderlands is PvM and having big tanky monsters that you have to take down in a drawn out firefight while attempting to survive can be more entertaining/engaging than simply one-shotting everything.

Painkiller and Serious Sam are pve/pvm too and it works out for them. They are way more entertaining than Borderlands too in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, iLikeBananas said:

Well yes, it's my opinion it's supposed to be subjective :D.

Painkiller and Serious Sam are pve/pvm too and it works out for them. They are way more entertaining than Borderlands too in my opinion. 

Can't really discuss opinions though, since it's hard to reach consensus. Different people like different games for different reasons. Doesn't mean Borderlands is a worse game than CS, just a different game that doesn't fit your needs, but apparently fits the needs of many others.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

The physicality of the weapons.  FEAR does a great job of this.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Bullets ...

like in Stalker. Bioshock, MAss Effect or W:ET

Can't remember any other good shooters from the top of my head.

... of course the old classics too actually - Doom, Heretic, Hexen etc.

I edit my posts more often than not

How the guns in the game feel, sound, look and react are a big part to me. I played CSGO a lot back in 2015 but stopped after it got way too repetitive and boring. I got into R6S which is a lot of fun. It has unique mechanics that other games don't have, it's competitive, it has actual strategies, REQUIRES teamwork and sharing information in order to excel at higher ranks.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

Project Brutality 3.0

Thats what i call good shooting.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I can enjoy but don't prefer the "if you miss your shot you die" thing, i like having that element in any FPS but i dislike it being the sole element of a FPS. Its pretty fun in both CQC as well as sniper duels, but other games, even COD, namely stuff like BF, Rising Storm series, ARMA, Tarkov, or PUBG bring the element of being in the wild into the game, leading shots, learning how to use larger environments at longer ranges.  Likewise the way matches are set are great tests of skill in CSGO, but for relaxing while also keeping my wit up i prefer something like BF or Rising Storm where its just waves of enemies with territories to defend or capture, its more constant and more dynamic engagement (assuming good map design) then CSGO where 3/4 of the round is dashing from spawn, to pre-determined engagement zone, landing your shots or not, then to 1 of 2 bomb sites.

So far as "if you die your out" sort of thing, i think the BR genre made that interesting (even if sometimes respawns are possible, like with Fortnite or Apex), as searching for loot creates a extra reason you don't want to die.  The looting and time between engagements gives each match a more unique narrative, which is probably why they are arguably more popular for Streamers then they are for the general FPS playing community, it just works if you have a group of entertaining buddies or can run commentary over your solo match, whether streaming or not (internal commentary if regular joe, not streaming)

Final thing with BRs even if its a genre that is dying down, is in comparison to any other FPS its much more likely you will never have the same experience ever again between matches, assuming you don't drop exact same location everytime.

On 12/1/2019 at 11:40 AM, Eigenvektor said:

CS is PvP and mostly geared towards realism. 

Pet peeve of mine, I really wish people would stop saying CS is realistic.  Its a fantastic tactical shooter and a benchmark for the entire games industry of how to build good 3 lane maps, but nothing about the game, with exception of TTK is realistic.  Particularly if you get into competitive play most of the deep and interesting tricks there fly in the face of realism.  Again all this stuff is great for gameplay, great for aim training, im not trying to hate on the game but sprinting around and insta-stopping to shoot off-hand, with 100% predictable spray patterns with no actual ballistics, taking shots between strafing left and right, and pre-firing around corners in a tactical situations because you have 100% knowledge and know not only the entire map but exactly where enemies should be is not realistic.  All of this though is great for training aim, and learning how to move/engage in FPS in general, transferable to almost all other FPS, but not realistic. 

On 12/1/2019 at 11:35 AM, iLikeBananas said:

What makes a shooter good

Variety.

On 12/1/2019 at 11:35 AM, iLikeBananas said:

I want to know how other people feel about them.

Each game gives a different feeling and a different experience.

1 hour ago, Intransigent said:

Variety.

Each game gives a different feeling and a different experience.

after writing a small novel, i decided i like this guys answer more

i'd personally add that lack of input latency, and motion feeling intuitively fun, just running/jumping etc, is really key.  Some games start feeling muddy in the pursuit of realism, or likewise while chasing graphical fidelity rather then gameplay (crap frame-rates)

On 12/2/2019 at 11:43 AM, Tan3l6 said:

Can't remember any other good shooters from the top of my head.

add Titanfall 2 to that list i guess. 

17 minutes ago, Soag said:

To me: fluidity.

in other words. gunplay?