maximum capacity for sd card reader on a laptop

SaHaRzZz

I am planning on buying a cheap laptop/chromebook to run a lightweight linux system on, it has 32gb eMMC on it and it's enough for the OS but I'd like to get more from inserting a micro sd card in it.

Now it does have a micro sd reader, but is there a standard for a specific rated speed/capacity that I can be sure it can run at?

there isn't much info on the model/specs, and I want to get the fastest micro sd I can get with a reasonable capacity.

Or am I completely off and I can insert even a 512gb model and it'll run just fine?

Well, for a cheap laptop/chromebook with 32GB eMMC, your best bet is 32GB or 64GB SDHC card. Speed can be anything because the transfer rate will most likely to be limited by your laptop/chromebook. Depends on the laptop or chromebook, if you insert SD card with capacity higher than what it can handle, you might experience system instability, or it couldn't read your card at all.

Anyway, if you know the make and the model of your laptop or chromebook, you can search the Internet for information about it or how much capacity it can handle.

Oh, before I forget, if there is a label indicating SD type (SDHC or SDXC) in any part of your system, then it'll let you know roughly about how high your system can support. SDHC typically range from 4GB to 32GB (some 64GB also rated at that) and SDXC range at 64GB to 512GB (and probably 1TB and beyond).

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.