New Monster Computer stuck at 60hz

Go to solution Solved by Slottr,

You'd need an active adapter

Either get one of those, or get a new monitor

Hello, I recently built my dream computer and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my gaming monitor to 144hz. I have tried through nvidia and have tried through windows 10. Only finding a single option of 60hz.

Specs: 2080 ti ROG strix

Asus PRIME Z390-A

i7 9700k

I have 2 monitors one is an Asus 60hz which I am using a HDMI cable for. The problematic monitor is my Acer GN246HL 144hz. I used to use a dual link DVI from it to my gtx 1080, but sadly the 2080 ti does not have a DVI port. I tried a displayport to hdmi because the Acer monitor does not have a displayport. (failed) I then tried a displayport from the GPU to DVI for the back of the monitor and thought that had to be the fix... it wasn't. 

If anyone could help me I would be extremely grateful. thank you

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

The monitor isn't an issue. I have the exact same display, but a direct DVI run from my GPU

EDIT: AFAIK, HDMI is not the best to use for high refresh rates. HDMI for the Acer GN246HL won't work.

Edited by Colt_0pz

Just now, Colt_0pz said:

The monitor isn't an issue. I have the exact same display, but a direct DVI run from my GPU

I know it's not. I'm saying they'd have to replace the display with one with modern I/O

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

I know it's not. I'm saying they'd have to replace the display with one with modern I/O

Maybe not. I also have a secondary screen running running at 60hz but again, connected via DVI so I don't know how it would affect the OP considering his GPU doesn't have DVI ports.

5 minutes ago, Colt_0pz said:

Maybe not. I also have a secondary screen running running at 60hz but again, connected via DVI so I don't know how it would affect the OP considering his GPU doesn't have DVI ports.

I'm not sure if youre following...

The OP either needs to replace his current display with one that has displayport or HDMI 1.3/2.0 

OR 

Get active adapters To move between displayport/DVI 

DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI cables/adapters exist if you want to keep the monitor. This will be your cheapest option, just make sure it is Dual-Link DVI, otherwise the bandwidth won't be high enough.

The easiest option would be to just grab a new monitor with DP, This would be a lot more expensive though.

Thank you for all of your responses! I appreciate them all. I just spent my budget on the new computer and wasn't looking to buy a new monitor. ( I agree that would be the simplest solution) I am currently using a Dual link DVI to Displayport cable and even that still shows 60hz as the only option. :( I did not know there were different types of adapters(adaptive and passive). I will look into them tonight and purchase one tomorrow and let you guys know what happens.

The active adapters all needed to be special order in most stores around my area so I did not get a chance to try it out. I Bought a cheap 144hz monitor and use the dp to dp cable I previously had and I am now running at 144hz! thank you for your help.