Should I install an M.2 SSD or an SATA SSD?

MTLPGaming

Hello,

A few months ago I build myself a gaming rig out of used parts (Some were mine already and some I bought) and the problem is that my hdd (From my Old Laptop , Yeah I know but the budget didn't allow more) is slow as heck. But, I have more money now and wanted to buy a new one. So here I am, looking for someone that can help me. My problem is that i don't know what to be beware of when buying, and installing an M.2 drive. My Mainboard is an "ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME". I'll be gratefull of any help or even sugestion you can give me.

PS: I'm sorry for my bad english, I'm from germany and not so good at speaking/writing english

It looks like your Motherboard only supports NVMe M.2. SSDs and not SATA M.2. SSDs. But you could still get a 2.5" SSD that connects over the normal SATA port of your mainboard. It's up to you what you want.

Looking at you motherboard specs on Newegg it says “m.2 socket 3 with m key”.  Figuring out what that even means is difficult.  My information is there is two different kinds of m.2;  nvme (very fast) and sata6 (same speed as sata 6)

If “m.2 socket 3 with m key” means sata 6, there’s no real reason to even fill the slot.  The thing has a bunch of data 6 ports already.  Now if you wanted a sata 6 SSD and the m.2 was the cheapest option it might be worth doing.

If “m.2 socket 3 with m key” means nvme, then you have something to think about.  Nvme is fast.  Fast enough to saturate 4 lanes of pcie 3.0.  So fast that there is almost no real advantage for current games.  It’s mostly useful for transferring very large files.  If you’re someone that does that kind of thing it might be worth getting one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Medicate said:

It looks like your Motherboard only supports NVMe M.2. SSDs and not SATA M.2. SSDs. But you could still get a 2.5" SSD that connects over the normal SATA port of your mainboard. It's up to you what you want.

Is that what “m.2 socket 3 with m key” means? Nvme?  I read the m.2 wiki, the sata wiki, and the nvme wiki and none of em were clear about it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

a majority of NVMe drives are M-key 2280 which your board supports.

30 minutes ago, MTLPGaming said:

PS: I'm sorry for my bad english, I'm from germany and not so good at speaking/writing english

Your English is better than some native speakers don't worry about it.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Is that what “m.2 socket 3 with m key” means? Nvme?  I read the m.2 wiki, the sata wiki, and the nvme wiki and none of em were clear about it.

I looked at the manual and it says there that it only supports PCIe drives and not sata drives in the M.2 slot