What would yew say the best programming language or languages are to learn to GET A JOB >:D ( what to learn as first language

WolfLoverPro

Never learnt a programming language before so might as well pick one and only learn it instead of trying to learn loads at once 

what’s the best one to learn first  or what one to get a job? 

I know all languages can have a job role but I mean the one that would be most successful getting me a job

I've heard that a good programmer learns at least one new language every year. That's good advice, and I hold myself to it.

In terms of the best language to get you a job:
- Python, unfortunately

- C++, for more involved development

- Javascript, for web development

Scala is consistently among the highest-paying programming jobs, but it's by no means the most common.

Thing is, though, if you want to get a programming job, don't think about it as learning a particular language for a particular job. If you go into a job with experience in only one language, you'll be an absolutely useless developer for two major reasons:
-  Different languages have different purposes. You use C and MATLAB for completely different things, you don't use Javascript for HPC or embedded computing, you don't use Python for... Well, I'm biased there. If you don't know what to use when, you'll only ever be using the right language by coincidence.

- You need perspective to really know what you're doing. Programming is more of a creative work than a raw technical one, and you can use a lot of different techniques and a lot of different styles, of which different languages tend to encourage different ones or present them in different ways. The more languages you know, the more experience you have solving problems in different ways -if you only know one language, you'll generally only be comfortable with one way of thinking.

So I say start with C++ or Python, and do not stop. Ever.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Start with a general language like C++ or Python. It will give you a good base to learn other languages from. If I were evaluating a job app I'd be looking for someone with a wide breadth of experience which shows they will be ready to learn and develop new skills as technology and demands evolve. We might be using Python a lot today, but we may be using something entirely different in ten years.

C++ is too much for beginner.

I would say learn these in order. 

1st Python: teaches basic like variable, function, data types(int, string, ect), data structure(dictionary, tuples, array, ect). Maybe also a little bit of classes and oop concepts alongside functional programming with lambda. You also learn regular expression too so it's like a little bit of everything but not too in depth. 

2nd Java: hardcore oop. If you have good solid foundation from the things learned in python, picking up java should be simple. Learning this language will seriously make you skilled in object oriented programming paradim as well as teaching you different software engineering  design patterns and advanced data structures. 

3rd learn C this language is barely one layer above assembly code. Learning this language will teach you a lot more about how proccesor and how operating system kernels do things under the hood than higher lanaguge like java which abstracts things away from you. You will learn how memory is allocated, how data is actually stored, manual memory management, operating system level APIs, pointer arithmetic, and bitwise operations. 

4th learn JavaScript (and also html and css I suppose): I would learn these because if you are interested in world wide web(www), these technologies are a must. You learn mostly about restful APIs and HTTP protocol out of it. At least that's what I get out of learning JavaScript. I would suggest learning  a software stack centered on JavaScript like MERN(mongodb, express, react, node.js). It will make you very employable in the job market. 

5th learn c++ or c#. Pick whichever or better yet, learn both. C++ is most difficult language in my opinion. Think of it as C but with oop. Learning c# will teach you .net. I have no experience with C# cuz I don't use windows but I heard it is very similar to java. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 11/30/2019 at 8:06 AM, Dash Lambda said:

I've heard that a good programmer learns at least one new language every year. That's good advice, and I hold myself to it.

In terms of the best language to get you a job:
- Python, unfortunately

- C++, for more involved development

- Javascript, for web development

Scala is consistently among the highest-paying programming jobs, but it's by no means the most common.

Thing is, though, if you want to get a programming job, don't think about it as learning a particular language for a particular job. If you go into a job with experience in only one language, you'll be an absolutely useless developer for two major reasons:
-  Different languages have different purposes. You use C and MATLAB for completely different things, you don't use Javascript for HPC or embedded computing, you don't use Python for... Well, I'm biased there. If you don't know what to use when, you'll only ever be using the right language by coincidence.

- You need perspective to really know what you're doing. Programming is more of a creative work than a raw technical one, and you can use a lot of different techniques and a lot of different styles, of which different languages tend to encourage different ones or present them in different ways. The more languages you know, the more experience you have solving problems in different ways -if you only know one language, you'll generally only be comfortable with one way of thinking.

So I say start with C++ or Python, and do not stop. Ever.

20 hours ago, harryk said:

Start with a general language like C++ or Python. It will give you a good base to learn other languages from. If I were evaluating a job app I'd be looking for someone with a wide breadth of experience which shows they will be ready to learn and develop new skills as technology and demands evolve. We might be using Python a lot today, but we may be using something entirely different in ten years.

15 hours ago, wasab said:

C++ is too much for beginner.

I would say learn these in order. 

1st Python: teaches basic like variable, function, data types(int, string, ect), data structure(dictionary, tuples, array, ect). Maybe also a little bit of classes and oop concepts alongside functional programming with lambda. You also learn regular expression too so it's like a little bit of everything but not too in depth. 

2nd Java: hardcore oop. If you have good solid foundation from the things learned in python, picking up java should be simple. Learning this language will seriously make you skilled in object oriented programming paradim as well as teaching you different software engineering  design patterns and advanced data structures. 

3rd learn C this language is barely one layer above assembly code. Learning this language will teach you a lot more about how proccesor and how operating system kernels do things under the hood than higher lanaguge like java which abstracts things away from you. You will learn how memory is allocated, how data is actually stored, manual memory management, operating system level APIs, pointer arithmetic, and bitwise operations. 

4th learn JavaScript (and also html and css I suppose): I would learn these because if you are interested in world wide web(www), these technologies are a must. You learn mostly about restful APIs and HTTP protocol out of it. At least that's what I get out of learning JavaScript. I would suggest learning  a software stack centered on JavaScript like MERN(mongodb, express, react, node.js). It will make you very employable in the job market. 

5th learn c++ or c#. Pick whichever or better yet, learn both. C++ is most difficult language in my opinion. Think of it as C but with oop. Learning c# will teach you .net. I have no experience with C# cuz I don't use windows but I heard it is very similar to java. 

Okay, it seems like it’s a good idea to learn one and then straight after learning one language learn another and keep repeating. 

Maybe ill start with python

does anyone know the best free place to learn? Like I have an app called SoloLearn & mimo 

but people say there’s no point as it teaches terminal only or something like that they said?? 

So would the the best place to be YouTube? I also have a few free Udemy courses. 

But wondering whats the most beneficial if some people said the apps ain’t worth it