Building my friend a new PC for VR

Hi LTT community, I've been tasked by my friend to put together a new PC for him on a medium/good budget and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on the items I have chosen. (added a screenshot)
His current computer is roughly 7-8 years old in terms of it's parts and ehhh.... it shows. I have probably never seen a slower PC in my life and if I myself was confined to using it I most likely would have stopped gaming all together ?
He is looking for a completely new rig and want's it to run VR for when his budget allows him to buy the Valve Index.Other than VR he wants to run newer titles, but isn't exactly an FPS-snob like myself (probably cuz' he hasn't invested in a higher refreshrate monitor yet, give him time he'll come around ?) And really ANYTHING is an improvement on this guys old rig. My intentions with the parts I've chosen was to make it easily upgradeable whenever he feels like doing that. I felt the motherboard is key in that regard and chose one that I personally believe would fit, and then be capable of fitting upgrades such as CPU and GPU.

His budget is a maximum of 940 Usd (9000 swedish kronor) and these parts I've chosen is currently at 917 Usd. PLEASE NOTE that these items are also on sale; GPU -13%, Motherb. -17%, SSD -23%, Power supply - 42%. Which saves him around 144 USD, ending up at the total amount of 917USD as mentioned earlier.

Advice would be MUCH appreciated as we are taking advantage of the black friday sale and want to order it asap.

2010678794_Screenshot_2019-11-27Kundvagn.thumb.png.69f0b8678ebb5ef10fba5e71d0aee27a.png

Hardware choices look good. Can always check if faster RAM would be available without paying much extra, but it's not mandatory.

But it looks like you're buying from Komplett, which often costs a little more than necessary. For example, the Ryzen 5 3600 is 100SEK cheaper on Proshop.

Hello,

This looks good to me :) there is no case so I assume you plan to use the old one ?

I don't think a GTX 1660 Super has enough horsepower to drive the VALVe Index VR effectively.

Also the ROG Strix B450-F is one of the worst B450 there is... replace it with a Tomahawk.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I don't think a GTX 1660 Super has enough horsepower to drive the VALVe Index VR effectively.

It does. A faster card would be great, but would also break the budget.

12 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

This looks good to me :) there is no case so I assume you plan to use the old one ?

Plan was to use the old one, however airflow and space might be a concern. Current EXACT model on his case is unknown, but i know it's essentially the same model as Fractal design big tower "black pearl". It is very similar in appearance, just smaller.

8 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

It does. A faster card would be great, but would also break the budget.

It does not, you want a card like the GTX 1660 Super to drive 1440x1600p120hz PER EYE? what is the point on buying an overpriced VR set when you have to go all low on settings?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

it looks good.

but as suggested i'd advice to take care when buying from komplett since they use postnord to deliver their packages.

me personally i've had a lot of packages get delayed and i've even had a 3500dkk screen stolen from a postnord warehouse.

This could just be me who got very unlucky.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Solrosen said:

Plan was to use the old one, however airflow and space might be a concern. Current EXACT model on his case is unknown, but i know it's essentially the same model as Fractal design big tower "black pearl". It is very similar in appearance, just smaller.

Ah yeah that's the case I have at work, not the best for airflow but dead silent.

11 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

It does not, you want a card like the GTX 1660 Super to drive 1440x1600p120hz PER EYE? what is the point on buying an overpriced VR set when you have to go all low on settings?

It doesn't have to run at 120Hz. Also the minimum spec is a GTX 970. 1660 Super is considerably faster than that.

37 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Ah yeah that's the case I have at work, not the best for airflow but dead silent.

Well his PC atm certainly is not silent, however it's most likely the combined noise of old hardware (GPU fans, CPU fan and the HDD) it reminds me a lot of the "black pearl". But my guess it's just a typical Fractal Design case from 10-8 years ago (you know, dust filters on front and underside, very minimal sound proofing in comparison to the Black Pearl) It should fit everything, however we could remove the Storage mounts/shelves since he most likely wont need them considering the NVMe SSD. 900+ gb is enough for him, he is a light gamer overall and does not need much storage.

2 minutes ago, Solrosen said:

Well his PC atm certainly is not silent, however it's most likely the combined noise of old hardware (GPU fans, CPU fan and the HDD) it reminds me a lot of the "black pearl". But my guess it's just a typical Fractal Design case from 10-8 years ago (you know, dust filters on front and underside, very minimal sound proofing in comparison to the Black Pearl) It should fit everything, however we could remove the Storage mounts/shelves since he most likely wont need them considering the NVMe SSD. 900+ gb is enough for him, he is a light gamer overall and does not need much storage.

Yeah and with VR there is a headset I suppose so no problem with noise anyway.