Battlefield V (Worth Playing Today?) (Plus Deals On The Game)

Crosseyed Sniper

Great deals to be had now on BFV Standard and Year 2 Editions https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/battlefield/battlefield-v/offer-selection

Is the game worth playing now? Are there plenty of East coast servers to choose from here in the United States? Or does the game seem to be dead?

Thinking of getting the game, just wanted to get your thoughts before doing so.

Thanks everyone!

I'm playing in the EU, so I can't speak for US popularity. But from what I've read on forums, East coast seems to be populated while West cost isn't.

As for the game itself, it is worth getting. There is a fair amount of content in it. Pacific content has just been released a few weeks ago. It includes 2 maps (Iwo Jima and Pacific Storm). Wake Island is set for December and another Pacific map is rumoured for January.

There is a good amount of content for a new player to explore. Weapon unlocks, vehicle unlock, weekly challenges, Tide of War grind, Mastery assignments etc. Plenty of maps too - 15 so far with a couple more on the way in the next couple of months.

There is 5.2 patch that is scheduled for early December. This patch will completely re-work most of the infantry weapons in the game. Basically they will make all weapons easier to use by reducing their recoil and increasing rate of fire. To counter this change, they're reducing damage of most weapons. I'm talking every primary weapon in the game except for bolt action rifles. This proposed change has created a serious crapstorm in the community. This change is pushed to make game more accessible for "low-skill" players that they want to lure in ducing Christmas sales. Have a read here if you want. Its community manager having full on Mexican standoff against an entire BF community. https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/196968/responding-to-your-concerns-update-5-2/p1

OR watch this video for a shorter version.

If you have any more question, ask them. I'm BF5 player with over 800 hours of playtime, you can trust me.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Thanks for the reply, bud! I truly appreciate it. 

Yeah, it seems Dice wants to keep screwing with the game mechanics. As soon as you get used to it being a certain way, BAM! They change things up on you. ? They've always been this way.

Again, thanks for the info!

14 minutes ago, Crosseyed Sniper said:

Thanks for the reply, bud! I truly appreciate it. 

Yeah, it seems Dice wants to keep screwing with the game mechanics. As soon as you get used to it being a certain way, BAM! They change things up on you. ? They've always been this way.

Again, thanks for the info!

They have a track record of changing Time To Kill in most BF games. But usually it was 1 extra or 1 less bullet to kill. This time they'll change weapons from "OK" to "WTF AM I SHOOTING? WATER BALLOONS?"

Some of the weapons will require 3-4 extra bullets to kill someone.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

I'd say yes, so long as you like breakthrough (rush basically) and conquest which are still populated.  If you only want to play Grand Operations stick with BF1. I'd say gameplay wise important thing is just getting used to changes in a lot of the maps designs, they are less strictly funneled then some previous battlefields, atleast some of the maps, so you have to kind of figure out routes a bit more like Rising Storm sort of games, rather then having obvious ABC routes on all maps between objectives, you still have cover but its less conveniently arranged more like a actual field less like a field designed to be in arcade/competitive shooter.  Likewise the guns are cool, the gunplays fun and a step up from BF1 imo (also i prefer having more wwii stuff), but if you are a huge vehicle fan you may find slightly less of them on the field then some previous battlefield games on certain maps, on average, depends on map ofc as obvious "Panzerstorm" has quiet a few.  Not important really but i'd add i like the feel of speedy transport (whether horse or halftrack) better in BF1 and previous BFs, jeeps and half tracks feel bouncier in BF5, but tanks and planes are still what ive come to expect.

You may need to take some time to set graphics config as DX12 vs DX11 performance varies wildly between systems.  DX12 can often push higher frames but can also stutter more (even a issue on brand new CPUs), however if you can run it then the way it renders outlines of soldiers makes spotting easier.  Id personally say its the worst optimized BF in regards to consistent frame-rates if you strictly run at DX12, DX11 is similar to BF1, but DX12 also looks rather nice, so its a trade-off. 

Finally if i was going to say one universally good thing about the game, even something people who may dislike it vs earlier BFs, they got rid of DLC with the game and they aren't launching another BF for atleast a year, so that just means more free content, no needed micro transactions to play all the maps or all the weapons, if you get bored of the content in the game you can pick it back up in 6 months or a year and still find new content, for free, like it should be.

If you are unsure you can get Origin pass and play both BF4, BF1 and BF5, cancel if need be, personally this is how i play BF games as its like 240$ to all the content of BF4, BF1, and access to BF5 otherwise

Oh, i'd add the issues of BF5 sometimes having insane CPU usage even with 9900ks is still a potential issue, again this goes back to playing around with DX11 vs DX12, vsync, future frame rendering etc.  There is something wrong somewhere with the programming but you can usually bandaid a fix if you need to playing around a few issues. Best bet is using DX11

Pacific DLC just dropped and the game isn't going anywhere. I'd get it if I were you.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering it through Best Buy instead of Origin. I bought physical copies of all my Battlefield games, so decided to do so for BVF. Got to order a new monitor and GPU soon as well, until then, I won't be gaming at all! ? Plus, I have a lot going on right now. 

Again, thanks everyone!

On 12/2/2019 at 11:39 PM, Crosseyed Sniper said:

I ended up ordering it through Best Buy instead of Origin. I bought physical copies of all my Battlefield games, so decided to do so for BVF.

How much did you end up paying for the physical copy at Best Buy? You do realize you're only paying for the case right?

bfvbestb.png.thumb.jpg.eb13955391b390233b619751036d3088.jpg

I sure hope you didn't pay $43.19 vs the $14.99 Origin edition. Could have just paid $5.99 for the BFV Steelbook Case at Best Buy to throw on your shelf...

bbf5steel.png.thumb.jpg.f871305ce1445c1fadf3215e9a293765.jpg

On 11/26/2019 at 9:48 PM, Crosseyed Sniper said:

Is the game worth playing now? Are there plenty of East coast servers to choose from here in the United States? Or does the game seem to be dead?

It's worth playing if you're into Battlefield games. Servers are definitely not dead. Neither are the Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1 servers, which I highly recommend to pick them up when they hit $4.99 on Origin which is at least once a month.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:59 AM, Intransigent said:

How much did you end up paying for the physical copy at Best Buy? You do realize you're only paying for the case right?

bfvbestb.png.thumb.jpg.eb13955391b390233b619751036d3088.jpg

I sure hope you didn't pay $43.19 vs the $14.99 Origin edition. Could have just paid $5.99 for the BFV Steelbook Case at Best Buy to throw on your shelf...

bbf5steel.png.thumb.jpg.f871305ce1445c1fadf3215e9a293765.jpg

It's worth playing if you're into Battlefield games. Servers are definitely not dead. Neither are the Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1 servers, which I highly recommend to pick them up when they hit $4.99 on Origin which is at least once a month.

Yes, I knew what I was buying. I got BF1 this way as well. And I paid $14.99 for it. Will be another few days before I get it, but not in a hurry. There are a lot of delays during holiday shopping.

BFD.JPG.766c782673e5736bdf971e41c08e8374.JPG

Thanks for the heads up, anyway.

2 hours ago, Crosseyed Sniper said:

Yes, I knew what I was buying. I got BF1 this way as well. And I paid $14.99 for it. Will be another few days before I get it, but not in a hurry. There are a lot of delays during holiday shopping. Thanks for the heads up, anyway. 

Welcome. Glad to see you paid $14.99. I want to say that's $1.00 cheaper than Origins recent sale price so I guess getting the case for a dollar is worth it. That's a pretty sweet deal on that mouse as well, it's usually $49.99.

I'm mainly complaining about DX12 being so fucked rn in BFV, CPU Utilization Massacre, but main thing to remember that you really really should take note of is if you think the FG42 is bad you are bad and probably stink

G403 is genuinely cool and nice, enjoy the 3366 goodness, hope it fits your hand well

57 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

I'm mainly complaining about DX12 being so fucked rn in BFV, CPU Utilization Massacre, but main thing to remember that you really really should take note of is if you think the FG42 is bad you are bad and probably stink

G403 is genuinely cool and nice, enjoy the 3366 goodness, hope it fits your hand well

Thanks for the info. Also, this is the new G403 mouse with their top-end Hero sensor. Whether or not it makes a difference, is beyond me. ? They are using the Hero sensor in all of their higher end mice. I'm using the G400S mouse now, and love it's shape. Been using it since around 2012! And it's still going strong.

I cant recommend this game because imo the problems outweighs the good by a lot. Keep in mind this is just an opinion.

The game is completely unbalanced. There is no auto team balance what so ever so it's not unusual that one team is 2-5 people short. Especially in the squad conquest. Very often it's an 8v4 game - which is not fun.

Tanks are super inconsistent in strength. Some are super weak due to the turret rotation speed or damage output (turret rotation speed is super wobbly and “drunken” in first person). It's not uncommon to shoot multiple rounds (4-6) into another tank (Tiger especially) without doing much damage. The locational damage model is something to get used to but super inconsistent and weird to use (for example destroying the tracks of a tank) or shells that ricochet of a tank. - imo this doesn’t belong in this game. Too much randomness for an arcade shooter.

The maps are so clustered with stuff (trees, walls, debris, holes, leaves ...) it's very hard to spot someone. People are extremely well hidden and even on low graphics there is a ton of foliage visible which hides players.

The game looks beautiful but absolutely everything has some sort of animation attached to it. This game creates a bit of its own genre, I would call it "cinematic shooter" and I don’t like that because to much of the cinematic aspect messes with gameplay in the wrong way.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan