mining gpu

ScarrFxce

Hi im about to buy a rx 480 and im gonna change the thermal paste first but i have been reading about alot of people undervolting their gpu. Can anybody tell me how that works and what it really does

16 minutes ago, ScarrFxce said:

Hi im about to buy a rx 480 and im gonna change the thermal paste first but i have been reading about alot of people undervolting their gpu. Can anybody tell me how that works and what it really does

Basically gpu manufacturers set a default voltage for the card to make sure the card is running properly at set specifications, but most of the time they set it quite high to ensure most GPU pass the spec. 

Most of these gpu chip can take less voltage to run properly and reduce heat, you need to find the sweet spot yourself. Mostly related to AMD GPU and not Nvidia GPU, you can still undervolt Nvidia GPUs (1000 series and newer) but the result is not as significant as undervolting AMD GPUs. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

The idea is to reduce the amount of power that is used by the GPU without reducing its performance. This should improve profits and also reduce the heat produced by the card. Of course, whether you can still profit from mining is a different story.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

should have explained more...

there are rx 480s for sale on aliexpress for 88$ and i want to buy one for gaming

Just now, ScarrFxce said:

there are rx 480s for sale on aliexpress for 88$ and i want to buy one for gaming

Just be aware that if the card is a mining edition, it may be very restricted in terms of display output. Undervolting can still be useful, because, as I said, it reduces power used by the card, which reduces heat output and should keep it running more quietly, too.

If the card is too cheap, it might be a scam though. Plus, a mining card was probably run for 24/7, so if the miner didn't take good care of it, it may not be in best condition.

19 minutes ago, ScarrFxce said:

This sounds like a bery bad idea.  Mining cards sometimes have NO external outputs.  Even if they do they may be locked.  It can sometimes be gotten around, but it’s serious pita evil.

you need the exact model of the card and a pic of the actual card before you send a dime.  Even then it could be scammy.

Edited by Bombastinator
Addendum

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Not easy, almost impossible if you dont have the connections like the ppl in the video.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Well a mining GPU doesn't necessarily no video output,  they've used tons of regular cards for that,  hence GPU prices went up so much a few years ago... 

Still should check this obviously and be weary of scams. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

53 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well a mining GPU doesn't necessarily no video output,  they've used tons of regular cards for that,  hence GPU prices went up so much a few years ago... 

Still should check this obviously and be weary of scams. 

True, a card that was used for mining could just be a regular card. But there are special "mining editions" of some cards, which are basically the same card but either have no video output or very limited output. Those are usually cheaper then the regular ones, hence the warning that it might be one of those if the price seems low.

14 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

True, a card that was used for mining could just be a regular card. But there are special "mining editions" of some cards, which are basically the same card but either have no video output or very limited output. Those are usually cheaper then the regular ones, hence the warning that it might be one of those if the price seems low.

I agree,  what throws me off that card doesn't seem cheap at all... 

For example 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAPPHIRE-Nitro-AMD-RX480-RX-480-4GB-Graphics-Card-Radeon-580-FAST-SHIPPING/323990757843?hash=item4b6f5aa1d3:g:4BgAAOSwzvhdsGnl

Or this 

https://www.ebay.com/p/231964926?iid=143429190150

Doubt those are mining cards either (they aren't even suitable afaik) and look legit to me too?

(just literally the first Google results...  I bet there are cheaper ones ,  heck they sometimes go for like 110-130$ new) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

I agree,  what throws me off that card doesn't seem cheap at all... 

For example 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAPPHIRE-Nitro-AMD-RX480-RX-480-4GB-Graphics-Card-Radeon-580-FAST-SHIPPING/323990757843?hash=item4b6f5aa1d3:g:4BgAAOSwzvhdsGnl

And I doubt that's a "mining card"  :)

(just literally the first Google result...  I bet there are cheaper ones ,  heck they sometimes go for like 110-130$ new) 

Don't really know about prices in the US. I can see that Amazon is asking 170€ for a used RX 480. You can definitely get a cheaper one from eBay. If I look at completed auctions I can see the cheapest one sold for just 50€ but they seem to typically sell between 80-120€.

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Don't really know about prices in the US. I can see that Amazon is asking 170€ for a used RX 480. You can definitely get a cheaper one from eBay. If I look at completed auctions I can see the cheapest one sold for just 50€ but they seem to typically sell between 80-120€.

Yeah but those are rip offs, then you can just get a 580 *new*

https://m.ebay.de/itm/Sapphire-Pulse-Radeon-RX-580-4GD5-4GB-GDDR5-NEU-inkl-Rechnung-19-MwSt-/383039501608?ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F707-53477-19255-0%2F1%3Fff3%3D4%26pub%3D5574635388%26toolid%3D10050%26campid%3D5337770552%26customid%3DL8kEbKvNQ65jUmkZk5bAGg%26mpre%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fitm%2FSapphire-Pulse-Radeon-RX-580-4GD5-4GB-GDDR5-NEU-inkl-Rechnung-19-MwSt-%2F383039501608%26srcrot%3D707-53477-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D2195346697335%26rvr_ts%3Da2e4699b16e0aa415776ef09ffe91efd&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true

Those cards are dirt cheap,  especially used.  $88 seems very high for a "mining card"  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity