Which is the best SSD ?

suraj ranjan
Go to solution Solved by Juular,
1 hour ago, serverbasket said:

You’ll find the SSD for you on our best SSDs list, no matter your budget and requirements.

Hello from 2019, we have better SSDs now. There's a lot of new NVMe SSDs on par with 970 Pro in durability and performance while being cheaper. Team MP34, Corsair MP510, Mushkin Pilot, ADATA SX8200 Pro, Inland Premium, Sabrent Rocket, all these SSDs generally hover around 100-110$ per 1TB, you don't need more for any PC be it exclusively gaming machine or high-end 4k video editing rig.

The only SSD from your list that still stands for it's place is Intel Optane but it's still fucking expensive too.

5 hours ago, suraj ranjan said:

Thanks for the suggestion guys but I have a confusion, there are different types in SSD. like m.2 and SATA 3, so what's the difference?

SATA and NVMe are interfaces. NVMe is the same thing as PCI-e which is used for GPUs mostly, just in M.2 form factor. It's therefore a lot faster than SATA, most cheap NVMe SSDs now have 2-3GB\s burst read\write speeds while SATA ones are limited to SATA3 interface speed of 550MB\s.

Crucial MX500 is SATA SSD, better than WD Green S240.

WD Blue S250 should be on level with Crucial MX500 but it costs more so it's out of consideration.

Kingston KC600 should be on level with Crucial MX500 too but it too costs more.

Samsung 860 EVO should be better than Crucial MX500 in IOPS and durability and it probably worth a bit higher price.

To get NVMe SSD you need a bit higher budget and it generally doesn't worth to get 250GB SSD at this point, aim for 500GB ones. But for gaming PC it doesn't really matter SATA or NVMe, just get what you can. It's just that NVMe SSDs are very cheap now and for higher budgets SATA SSDs don't worth saving a few bucks.

If you don't want to significantly raise your budget then this SSD is the only choice but i wouldn't say it's a good SSD, it's 2D TLC NAND but for SATA SSD it's probably still okay. For 3700k R you can get 480GB NVMe Kingston A1000 or if you don't have M.2 i'd recommend at least Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 EVO.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

10 hours ago, WillLTT said:

they are ok. Western Digital makes good drives.

but id go for samsung 860 maybe this one?

but thats up to you.

I agree abouttt the EVO but there is something fishy about that listing. Samsung does not make a 256GB 860 EVO. They make 250GB ones, though.

Also, any SSD that isn't a multiple of 250 GB or 256 GB is an inferior one. One that is 240GB has added overprovisioning in an attempt to compensate for inferior quality.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Thanks for the suggestion guys but I have a confusion, there are different types in SSD. like m.2 and SATA 3, so what's the difference?

And these are ones you guys have suggested, which is the best among all? 

Please do reply for both the questions

https://www.amazon.in/Crucial-MX500-500GB-2-5-inch-SSD/dp/B0781VSXBP/ref=sr_1_4?crid=DFH1CU2DZ7QP&keywords=ssd%2B860%2Bevo&qid=1574663183&s=computers&smid=A1QFJV05H9TXZX&sprefix=ssd%2B86%2Ccomputers%2C282&sr=1-4&th=1

https://www.amazon.in/500GB-2-5-inch-Internal-Solid-WDS500G2B0A/dp/B073SB2MXW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=DFH1CU2DZ7QP&keywords=ssd%2B860%2Bevo&qid=1574663183&s=computers&smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&sprefix=ssd%2B86%2Ccomputers%2C282&sr=1-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQU1UTExVR081UUU1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTEwNTc2Mlo2SENRRzBCUTRPSCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTc4NzI1M0xITExVWlY5QUNLSiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-250GB-Internal-Solid-MZ-76E250BW/dp/B079DTMNWC/ref=pd_sbs_147_2/261-5991753-7900443?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079DTMNWC&pd_rd_r=ac284812-b4fc-47ce-827a-ee2800e03581&pd_rd_w=qAF6X&pd_rd_wg=HXMIx&pf_rd_p=fbf43daf-8fb3-47b5-9deb-ae9cce3969a9&pf_rd_r=A52NA0VJ9BPFX499CCKP&psc=1&refRID=A52NA0VJ9BPFX499CCKP

https://www.amazon.in/Western-Digital-WDS240G2G0A-240GB-Internal/dp/B076Y374ZH/ref=pd_sbs_147_1/261-5991753-7900443?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076Y374ZH&pd_rd_r=ac284812-b4fc-47ce-827a-ee2800e03581&pd_rd_w=qAF6X&pd_rd_wg=HXMIx&pf_rd_p=fbf43daf-8fb3-47b5-9deb-ae9cce3969a9&pf_rd_r=A52NA0VJ9BPFX499CCKP&psc=1&refRID=A52NA0VJ9BPFX499CCKP

https://www.amazon.in/Kingston-256GB-Internal-SKC600-256G/dp/B07ZDBZDR9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=kingston+kc600&qid=1574653693&s=computers&sr=1-1-catcorr

You’ll find the SSD for you on our best SSDs list, no matter your budget and requirements.

1. Intel Optane 905P – best U.2 SSD
  2. Samsung 970 Pro – best NVMe SSD
  3. Toshiba OCZ RD400 – best PCIe SSD
  4. Adata XPG SX8200 SSD – best M.2 SSD
  5. Samsung 860 Pro – best SATA 3 SSD
  6. Intel 750 Series – best U.2 SSD
  7. Samsung 860 Evo – best budget SSD
  8. HP S700 Pro – best endurance SSD
  9. Intel 760p Series SSD – best SSD boot drive
  10. Samsung X5 Portable SSD – best External SSD

1 hour ago, serverbasket said:

Hello from 2019, we have better SSDs now. There's a lot of new NVMe SSDs on par with 970 Pro in durability and performance while being cheaper. Team MP34, Corsair MP510, Mushkin Pilot, ADATA SX8200 Pro, Inland Premium, Sabrent Rocket, all these SSDs generally hover around 100-110$ per 1TB, you don't need more for any PC be it exclusively gaming machine or high-end 4k video editing rig.

The only SSD from your list that still stands for it's place is Intel Optane but it's still fucking expensive too.

5 hours ago, suraj ranjan said:

SATA and NVMe are interfaces. NVMe is the same thing as PCI-e which is used for GPUs mostly, just in M.2 form factor. It's therefore a lot faster than SATA, most cheap NVMe SSDs now have 2-3GB\s burst read\write speeds while SATA ones are limited to SATA3 interface speed of 550MB\s.

WD Blue S250 should be on level with Crucial MX500 but it costs more so it's out of consideration.

Samsung 860 EVO should be better than Crucial MX500 in IOPS and durability and it probably worth a bit higher price.

To get NVMe SSD you need a bit higher budget and it generally doesn't worth to get 250GB SSD at this point, aim for 500GB ones. But for gaming PC it doesn't really matter SATA or NVMe, just get what you can. It's just that NVMe SSDs are very cheap now and for higher budgets SATA SSDs don't worth saving a few bucks.

5 minutes ago, Juular said:

Hello from 2019, we have better SSDs now. There's a lot of new NVMe SSDs on par with 970 Pro in durability and performance while being cheaper. Team MP34, Corsair MP510, Mushkin Pilot, ADATA SX8200 Pro, Inland Premium, all these SSDs generally hover around 100-110$ per 1TB, you don't need more for any PC be it exclusively gaming machine or high-end 4k video editing rig.

SATA and NVMe are interfaces. NVMe is the same thing as PCI-e which is used for GPUs mostly, just in M.2 form factor. It's therefore a lot faster than SATA.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, really appreciate that!

So then I will go for samsung 860 EVO.

And then for HDD I chose seagate barracuda 2tb, is it good to have that?

Just now, suraj ranjan said:

And then for HDD I chose seagate barracuda 2tb, is it good to have that?

Yeah, it should be good if you really need so much storage. If it's just for games i'd go for bigger SSD instead tho.

Just now, Juular said:

Yeah, it should be good if you really need so much storage. If it's just for games i'd go for bigger SSD instead tho.

Actually what I thought was, I will use SSD for C drive for some softwares and stuff and use the HDD for games and other media files.

And one more thing I noticed in the samsung was, it has mentioned about V NAND and others have mentioned 3D NAND, so is there any difference in that?

8 minutes ago, suraj ranjan said:

And one more thing I noticed in the samsung was, it has mentioned about V NAND and others have mentioned 3D NAND, so is there any difference in that?

V-NAND is just Samsung's fancy name for 3D NAND, as in Vertical-stacking NAND, 3D in several layers as opposed to just one layer 2D NAND.

Just now, Juular said:

V-NAND is just Samsung's fancy name for 3D NAND, as in Vertical-stacking NAND, 3D in several layers as opposed to just one layer 2D NAND.

Lol okay, thank you!

On 11/24/2019 at 10:43 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I agree abouttt the EVO but there is something fishy about that listing. Samsung does not make a 256GB 860 EVO. They make 250GB ones, though.

Also, any SSD that isn't a multiple of 250 GB or 256 GB is an inferior one. One that is 240GB has added overprovisioning in an attempt to compensate for inferior quality.

hmmmmmmm i didnt notice

On 11/25/2019 at 12:18 PM, serverbasket said:

1. Intel Optane 905P – best U.2 SSD
  2. Samsung 970 Pro – best NVMe SSD
  3. Toshiba OCZ RD400 – best PCIe SSD
  4. Adata XPG SX8200 SSD – best M.2 SSD
  5. Samsung 860 Pro – best SATA 3 SSD
  6. Intel 750 Series – best U.2 SSD
  7. Samsung 860 Evo – best budget SSD
  8. HP S700 Pro – best endurance SSD
  9. Intel 760p Series SSD – best SSD boot drive
  10. Samsung X5 Portable SSD – best External SSD

is it worth getting 970Pro instead of crucial MP600 when getting new mainboard PCI 4 ?