NAS/Firewall/Web cache/windows update on the budget :P

papajo

So I would like to start a project I want to make a (preferable mini ITX ) computer that will have 10Gbit connection and SSD cached hard drivers (not more than two physical 10TB ones or 3 5TB ones --> also advise me on that :P

Time is on the essence here I need to make that happen before Christmas I am a poweruser and also am familiar with linux and hardware in general it just happens that I was not into that network storage/home server scene so I need some cheat sheets and links/directions on how to start. 

What I want 

A computer to dump on my large files such as movie collection etc (NAS)

a Firewall 

A webcache proxy (so that sites that I frequently visit download faster) 

a Steam cache (to have all my 3 TB steam library there) 

a Chache for windows updates 

take my monitors signal (via capture PCI card) so that I can stream my games minimum req 1080p@60fps (just have that in mind for the CPU recommendation) 

So we are talking about linux docker Nginx etc (but please elaborate a little more on the software that is needed for that since as I said although I am technically inclined to fine tune such software I am out of the loop and am probably not aware of the latest trends and combinations to make that workflow happen thanks :)

My goal is to have a small box (preferably quiet ) that I can take with me when I travel  hock it up (via lan) to a computer (e.g in my summer house or the computer I have in work or at a hotel) and then just need to wait a few seconds to download (from said nas) my favorite (usually more than 50GB ) steam game have everything up to date and start gaming or watch my movies etc. 

Oh and it has to be cheap too!! :D by cheap I mean as low as it can get costwise without sacrificing any usecase quality (no crashes or slowdowns or unreliability) 

So maybe a yesteryear xeon combo? (are there mini ITX mobos for xeons lol I have to google that) 

or like a ryzen 3 kind of sollution? 

Some ARM/ SoC all in one solution e.g lattepanda? (in that case it must have 2 m.2 connections one for the ssd and the other for the capture card)  

Dont forget that the form-factor needs to be as small as possible preferably the hard disks should be a big chunk of the overall size. 

wifi+BT connectivity is not a must but is considered a plus.

Please HALP so that I can make a more educated guestimate on my budget and better plan my project in general thanks!!! :D

Sorry but the requirement sounds confusing. 

I dont understand why you need 10Gbit for travelling. 

I dont understand why you need to take a steam cache/proxy/firewall 'away' with you?

Surely if you're travelling youre travelling with a single computer most likely a notebook....just update it when you're at home. Windows has its own built in firewall, browsers already retain cache as long as you dont constantly have CCleaner running in the background, Windows Updates is no point in caching for a single PC...and just keep your movie collection on your travel computers drive / external drive?

P.S you aren't going to do portable, quiet, 10gbit, multithreaded anything for 'cheap'. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 11/24/2019 at 8:19 AM, Jarsky said:

P.S you aren't going to do portable, quiet, 10gbit, multithreaded anything for 'cheap'. 

I meant "cheap" comparatively as in the lowest amount of money possible to achieve the task at hand. (e.g instead of getting a server grade PCI find a USB 3.2 or integrated into the motherboard solution for 10gbit connectivity there are always ways to cut down on cost I dont need the fastest coolest newest xeon for example nor a top of the line threadripper ) 

On 11/24/2019 at 8:19 AM, Jarsky said:

Sorry but the requirement sounds confusing. 

I dont understand why you need 10Gbit for travelling. 

I dont understand why you need to take a steam cache/proxy/firewall 'away' with you?

Surely if you're travelling youre travelling with a single computer most likely a notebook....just update it when you're at home. Windows has its own built in firewall, browsers already retain cache as long as you dont constantly have CCleaner running in the background, Windows Updates is no point in caching for a single PC...and just keep your movie collection on your travel computers drive / external drive?

I apologise if I sound abrupt but you do not need to understand why I would like to do this project since I didnt ask for "workarounds" on a usecase I want to make a box with the above capabilities for my own reasons..

As a sign of good will though so that you dont think I am an asshole I will give you a couple ofvexamples on why I need it. I went to some relatives for a few weeks until xmass and I wanted to play The witcher 3, Elderscrolls online and the latest lotr... so about 250GB files, their internet connection is 4mbps... 

After that I made two PCs  for my nephews as a present but where I was I had a data cap on the connection at hand and I needed to download about 800GB worth of data or more to that rig (games, OS, other software etc) 

I like to game on my rig but I dont want to sacrifice resources for streaming (which I would like to do in 4k or atleast compress it to 1080p 60fps  if the cost margin increases too much)

I have a big bluray library that I update a lot and want to share stuff with friends and family if I stay at their homes 

And generally I happen to travel a lot not as a tourist or as in business meeting but I stay in places for a prolonged time but not permanently/

These are just some examples I hope that I quenched your curiosity 

Oh and by portability I didnt mean something that I could hold in the palm of my hand... I meant (as I mentioned above) that I want a small itx kinda boxie 

On 11/23/2019 at 5:20 PM, papajo said:

(not more than two physical 10TB ones or 3 5TB ones --

Id go bigger drives, less space taken in case, easier to upgrade, lower power. Id get those 10tb externals and shuck them.

webcache proxy (so that sites that I frequently visit download faster) 

Just saying https is gonna make this annoying. YOu can break that and put a cert on all the clients, but if you don't have many clients, the cache won't help much anyways.

Steam cache (to have all my 3 TB steam library there) 

How many users do you have? Id just store the games directly on the nas if you can instead of caching unless you have many users download games at once, like at a lan party.

But if you wanna cache downloads use lancache(google it, look at the github for guides)

a Chache for windows updates 

How many users again. Also your local network can already do this.

ALso use wsus/sccm if you already managing windows 10.

My goal is to have a small box (preferably quiet ) that I can take with me when I travel  hock it up (via lan) to a computer (e.g in my summer house or the computer I have in work or at a hotel) and then just need to wait a few seconds to download (from said nas) my favorite (usually more than 50GB ) steam game have everything up to date and start gaming or watch my movies etc. 

I really don't see the point of making it portable. Esp for a single user. Just get a large drive for your system, and don't bother with a cache that you can take with you.

or like a ryzen 3 kind of sollution? 

Thats probalby what id go. ARM is slow and limited in ram for all these uses, dual xeons are big and hot if you want it portable.

wifi+BT connectivity is not a must but is considered a plus.

Id just get a external ap and use that.

Please HALP so that I can make a more educated guestimate on my budget and better plan my project in general thanks!!! :D

Lets go a quick price guess.

So ryzen 3600 + mobo + 32gb ram. about 500 ish(just guessing now)

2x 10tb hdds($360) from externals

2tb ish of ssds for cache and vms and other fast things $200

Boot ssd $40

add case and software, 1000 is probably dooable