Anything on PIA?

KageSong

Hey guys especially @Linus, I'm about to get a VPN for the first time. I really need one, and I've just been waiting til I can afford to commit. I was going to go with PIA, but now I'm less sure. If you thing it's safe enough to bear trying, that's great. Hell, I'd even be willing to go nice and slow through install and setup, and kind of try to dive into to it and let you know if anything seems fishy. But, if I shouldn't go PIA right now, where should I look?

18 minutes ago, KageSong said:

Hey guys especially @Linus, I'm about to get a VPN for the first time. I really need one, and I've just been waiting til I can afford to commit. I was going to go with PIA, but now I'm less sure. If you thing it's safe enough to bear trying, that's great. Hell, I'd even be willing to go nice and slow through install and setup, and kind of try to dive into to it and let you know if anything seems fishy. But, if I shouldn't go PIA right now, where should I look?

pia pays linus for ad space so of course linus is going to promote pia

2 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

pia pays linus for ad space so of course linus is going to promote pia

Linus suspended the sponsorship for a while, he talked about it on the wan show.

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

Linus suspended the sponsorship for a while, he talked about it on the wan show.

ok thanks

i dont watch any of linus videos for a long time now

though i still saw a pia ad up on this ltt website, so he must've just done it yesterday (fri) because i think i saw that ad on thu or it might have been wed

ok thanks

though i still saw a pia ad up on this ltt website, so he must've just done it yesterday (fri) because i think i saw that ad on thu or it might have been wed

If you want to listen to what he said, go to the wan show episode and look for timestamps, either in the description or in the comments.

Iirc, they will suspend pia sponsorships until pia can explain themselves and/or until the community tells them if they should stay or look for another vpn sponsor. Don't quote me on this tho, it's best to hear it from the man himself. 

18 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

ok thanks

Most likely you watched a previous video rather than a current one. With that said, I don't understand what your reasoning is for wanting a VPN beyond 'oh hey that sounds wicked cool man!' . Fun fact: It's not a need. It's a want. And it's not a want that should be prioritized over other wants. If it were a need, you wouldn't be making this post right now. 

Regarding this aspect of the OP

Hell, I'd even be willing to go nice and slow through install and setup, and kind of try to dive into to it and let you know if anything seems fishy.

The 'fishy' part of PIA and other VPN providers is not the installer or program itself. it's how secure and private the data handled by that program truly is. That's not something any random person can just take a look at and go 'that feels fine'.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

Welcome to Google ads. 

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

3 minutes ago, DKL said:

Welcome to Google ads. 

is that what it is, so linus is getting paid

nice

is that what it is, so linus is getting paid

nice

There's a thing called hosting fees.

You're very pessimistic.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Thread locked.

Please read the Tech News section's Posting Guidelines before submitting a topic. This topic was already posted here.

Edit: Additionally I've removed a few replies to this thread which were blatantly unhelpful or unconstructive. If a thread is posted to the wrong section please report it to the mod team, don't reply to it with condescension or spam.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff