usb stick went from 64gb to 32gb

HardStroke

i have 64GB usb stick

i installed the win10 media creation tool and it turned my usb stick from 64GB to 32GB

now i can only format it to 32GB

how is that possible?

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

It probably created a 32 GB partition and left the rest unformatted. You should be able to use Disk Manager to extend the partition to cover the whole stick.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

7 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

It probably created a 32 GB partition and left the rest unformatted. You should be able to use Disk Manager to extend the partition to cover the whole stick.

yeah i do see here 30GB that are unallocated

do i just format the disk from disk management?

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

1 minute ago, HardStroke said:

yeah i do see here 30GB that are unallocated

do i just format the disk from disk management?

If you right click on the partition, there should be an option to resize/extend it. You could also remove the partition and create a new one that is 64 GB.

13 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

If this turns out not to be the case my mind floats towards the possibility of a counterfeit memory stick.  It’s apparently a thing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

This is what happened.  I've seen it before, that tool can only handle partitions up to 32 GB and will forcibly make one if the existing one is too large.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• 4 weeks later...

i have same Problem, a Sandisk 64GB USB, which some how turned into a 32GB USB. It's FAT32 and i can format the back 32GB but i cant remove the partition so now it shows as 2 x 32GB drives. It had single 64GB volume about a week ago?? i can delete back volume but cant extend primary volume??

Sandisk 64GB USB  volumes.JPG

Sandisk 64GB partition 1.JPG

Sandisk 64GB partition 2.JPG

Fixed it by deleting volume as mentioned above by @Eigenvektor, but had to format as NTFS and wont let me do FAT32. As far as i know, most tv's and media players will only accept FAT32 is there a work-around here??

Sandisk 64GB partition 3.JPG

You could try exFAT, which should be supported by newer media players. Try if you can select that when you simply try to format the disk in file explorer.

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You could try exFAT, which should be supported by newer media players. Try if you can select that when you simply try to format the disk in file explorer.

yeah exFAT is an option avail thanks :-))))