Cheat engine for Linux?

Go to solution Solved by CactusMan,
1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, you are. There is literally no law or anything saying you aren't. The only issue would be if you were sharing modded games with other people, since you'd then be committing copyright-violation, but modding games for your own use? That's not copyright-violation. Sharing custom mods or cheats? That's not copyright-violation, either, as long as you're not distributing any of the original files from the game or their contents.

As an example, writing a cheat with Cheat Engine wouldn't be a copyright-violation, because the file you create does not contain any of the original files from the game nor their contents. It will only modify files you already have, and since you're not sharing those modified files publicly, you have done nothing wrong.

hm.

that explanation made sense and i get the point that you've made.

so i was wrong.

but i think some game devs don't want people to mod thier games or add modded files to their games, that's the thing i'm talking about

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

*enters IDDQD

*joins Anonymous

:P

6 minutes ago, flashiling said:

most game companies who accept mods to their games have said so.

and if a game doesn't want people to mod their game then it's not allowed to mod it, even if you bought the game yourself and even if it's a single player game.

You know you are making that up, don't you? I don't think you are very aware of the history of game modding

if a game company allows mods then it's different many games allow mods, i play motor sport manager 2019 and i have an F1 mod so my drivers are the ones that are racing in F1.

That mod is okay since the guys who made the game has said that mods are okay for the game.

even if mods weren't allowed people would still do it yes. but that doesn't make it okay.

That is an extremely personal stance of yours. Perfectly reasonable to have it, but no reason for others to live by it.

mods are supported by many games and if they are then go ahead mod the shit out of it.

"Supported" meaning? Many modern games are harder to mod with builtin tools than some older games with no tools at all.

if they aren't then they probably don't want people to mod it.

Again, I don't think you know how game modding started, and how developers embraced modding and starting "supportingTM" it after the fact. Games like Sid Meier's Civilization and Colonization stored many game parameters in cleanly labeled plain text files, that people used to re-abalance the game if they deemed it necessary and creating custom scenarios. When developers saw it... they starting hosting many of the mods, and providing scenario creation tools in later editions of the game. It wasn't done that way on purpose for modding, but they didn't care you did either.

But more importantly, what does it matter what they wanted? Did they want you to play with non-modded files? Did they want you to play for 4 hours straight? Did they want you to play only on weekends? Did they want you to play while wearing pajamas? Doesn't matter, it's not for them to say. Buying a game is not some Faust-like contract where your soul becomes the developer's to command :D

4 minutes ago, flashiling said:

but i think some game devs don't want people to mod thier games or add modded files to their games, that's the thing i'm talking about

I think you're thinking about terms-of-service violations. Those are only relevant to modding and such if the game relies on some online-service. If it doesn't, then there's jack shit they can do about it and there is no law to back them up. There is no copyright-violation or TOS-violation if you're modding/cheating in a game that doesn't rely on an online-service in your private life.

If the game does rely on some online-service then, sure, they do have the right to ban you from their services, but even then, most companies would not even think about doing that for single-player mods or cheats, since they'd immediately get crucified on pretty much every social-media platform -- completely not worth the enormous amount of negative PR. Take e.g. Ubisoft: they added some modding-tools to one of their recent Assassin's Creed - games and someone obviously made cheat-mods for the game. Ubisoft banned those mods, not the player, and they still got a lot of negative flak for it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 hours ago, flashiling said:

most game companies who accept mods to their games have said so.

and if a game doesn't want people to mod their game then it's not allowed to mod it, even if you bought the game yourself and even if it's a single player game.

if a game company allows mods then it's different many games allow mods, i play motor sport manager 2019 and i have an F1 mod so my drivers are the ones that are racing in F1.

That mod is okay since the guys who made the game has said that mods are okay for the game.

even if mods weren't allowed people would still do it yes. but that doesn't make it okay.

cheat codes by devs were meant to be there and that's the difference.

making your own isn't okay in many instances.

mods are supported by many games and if they are then go ahead mod the shit out of it.

if they aren't then they probably don't want people to mod it.

Utter nonsense. If I buy something then install it on my PC I can do whatever the hell I want to it as long as what I am doing isn't illegal.

Case in point, Take 2 went after Open IV, the GTA V modding suite last year. Open IV is still available right now. Rockstar actually apologised to the community because Take 2 overstepped the boundary by issuing a C&D. The Open IV team have recently announced RDR2 support coming soon.

What they want it irrelevant, its my PC and those files are on it. Why do you think the creation of cracks isn't illegal but distributing them is? I don't know where you've had this from but it couldn't be any more wrong and wrong is an absolute statement.

Also fun fact, he isn't altering the software at all, he's changing a value of a piece of data that's stored in his RAM.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Anyone notice this "don't alter things companies don't want you to alter" guy's avatar is an altered Disney cartoon?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

• 2 months later...

Seeing as this thread has no been answered properly - here is your answer: Game Conqueror. It's share 95+% of Cheat Engines features, if not more. The UI nearly identical. Seeing as scanmem has been mentioned, I think it's worthed to point out that Game Conqueror is just GUI frontend for scanmem.

• 1 year later...

i suppose that hacking in games can be called hacking because with hacking in games.

it means that you find parts of the game that can be modifyed and you abuse them you find exploits inside a game and exploit the game and exploiting is under the category of hacking.

also you can actually hack memory or memory spaces on your system usually inacessable.
hacking has a large variety of meanings but it mostly means you abuse something or break into something or modify something you shouldnt be able to.

back to the topic:
use scanmem and gameconquerror

On 11/22/2019 at 4:34 AM, flashiling said:

i have used it before and that's how i know it's not hacking.

the gaining of unauthorized access to data in a system or computer.

that's the definition of hacking.

you are running a program that alters game data you're not accessing another system or computer that you shouldn't be able to.

That's not the only definition of hacking and you know it, stop being a dick. I also don't condone cheating in multiplayer games and won't help people cheat because "I, person on the internet, promise not to use this cheating software in multiplayer games, only single player" is not even remotely believable enough for me. But someone who "hacks" is "a computer expert who uses their technical knowledge to achieve a goal or overcome an obstacle, within a computerized system by non-standard means." There are kernel hackers and all sorts of other hackers who never gain unauthorized access to data in a system or computer. You nonce, even the official Linux Foundation website has a damn "Kernel Hackers Guide:" https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/kernel-hacking/index.html

If you're going to be a pedant, choose your battles wisely, or else you just look like a tool. 

But no, cheat engine ain't hacking. 

• 4 months later...

Bit of a necropost, but is there a linux alternative to cheat engine that has speedhack?

• 1 year later...

I just figured it out so I thought sharing is caring.

Cheat Engine provided some workaround for Linux-users.

Download CE-Server here
Run the executable, open port 52736 if you're using a firewall.

Now you can either run Cheat Engine 6.5 on a windows machine in your network or start it on your Linux machine with wine.

Open the list you'd use to search for a process, select network and type your IP (127.0.0.1 for local machine) and port 52736.

You're now connected and should be able to use Cheat Engine like on Window$.
Downside: You're stuck to version 6.5 of CE, I guess it won't get updated anymore.
This mostly means that you cannot use complete lists from the internet and have to search for the key values yourself.

Hope it helps!

I’ve done some research over the years. Cheat engine mostly works by scanning the memory address of a game application and then manipulating the value of that memory. For instance, if the value for a player health is located at memory 0xffffffff for example, the cheat engine can manually write to that address space, constantly incrementing or setting it to 100%.

normally, application can not write to another application’s virtual memory but on Linux, you can do this by writing to the target application’s /proc file(you do need root permission of course)

the tricky part is actually finding the right address space which is why the cheat engine memory scanner is so handy and in which I have yet to find an equivalent on Linux.

anyways, you can write your own memory manipulation tool, here is a tutorial how to, you can use a python script or any programming language like javascript, it doesn’t matter. It does the job of a cheat engine more or less, you just lack a scanner.

https://medium.com/@holdengrissett/linux-101-how-to-hack-your-process-memory-2514a3d0778d

Edit: make a new thread for this if you wanna continue the discussion.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 7/30/2022 at 9:06 PM, wasab said:

I’ve done some research over the years. Cheat engine mostly works by scanning the memory address of a game application and then manipulating the value of that memory. For instance, if the value for a player health is located at memory 0xffffffff for example, the cheat engine can manually write to that address space, constantly incrementing or setting it to 100%.

normally, application can not write to another application’s virtual memory but on Linux, you can do this by writing to the target application’s /proc file(you do need root permission of course)

the tricky part is actually finding the right address space which is why the cheat engine memory scanner is so handy and in which I have yet to find an equivalent on Linux.

anyways, you can write your own memory manipulation tool, here is a tutorial how to, you can use a python script or any programming language like javascript, it doesn’t matter. It does the job of a cheat engine more or less, you just lack a scanner.

https://medium.com/@holdengrissett/linux-101-how-to-hack-your-process-memory-2514a3d0778d

Edit: make a new thread for this if you wanna continue the discussion.

I know you said not to continue this thread, but I want to say sorry for what you had to go through. I think I lost 5 of my 6 remaining braincells.

On 11/24/2019 at 3:01 AM, CactusMan said:

On 11/24/2019 at 5:23 AM, wasab said:

sweet

there is an actual cheatengine like (looks are prettymuch identical) gui for scanmem : https://linuxhint.com/use-gameconqueror-cheat-engine-linux/

How to Use GameConqueror Cheat Engine in Linux

ps: the devs of Quake never made the original with the idea of strafejumping to become a thing, by version 3 they were expanding on the idea, so maybe sometimes gamers doing stuff that was not the intention of the devs can be a good thing...

and as far as i know thare are no rules against changing voltage levels of certain transistors located n dram , provided you own the dram ofcourse (or have permission to use them as such)

and for the person who believes that cheating in single player games should also be banned, you may try and explain where exactly the line should be drawn for wat is allowed and what is not , using gouranga as playername in gta2 allowed (was put there by the devs), using dnclip in dukenukem3d allowed (was also  put there by the devs but only for testing purposes, so testers could walk trough walls to certain locations in the game and test those without having to play the level over and over again to get to that spot) where a wall is actually no real thng in games its just the movement vector that gets clipped at that place hence noclipping or dnclip, how about manipulationg packed config files of soccerplayers in fifa so you can max out stats of players , or better yet give them stats of 255 (where max is 100) can one make an aimbot? whatabout a bot that actually aims using the mouse?

• 2 months later...

"Hey... It's me again"

So I already wrote you could use ceserver along with CheatEngine 6.5, but as of now I found two other ways.

The first would be that you can compile both yourself as they're open source (https://github.com/cheat-engine/cheat-engine)

The next cool thing, I had to dig quite a lot, is an elegant solution for proton.

Just use 

PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1 %command%

as a command-option for your game and start it.

Afterwards, you can use

/tmp/proton_$USER/run /path/to/cheatengine.exe

This way you can even load up readymade scripts like the ones from https://fearlessrevolution.com/

The way over the ceserver doesn't seem to be able to do that, so happy cheating! 🙂