New to CPU Please Help

I'm incredibly new to the PC World and not too seasoned in forums so forgive me if this is poorly composed. Lifetime console gamer but was recently gifted a pc to play games on with a buddy. Since then I have been trying to get decent at it and learn what makes up a pc and how it all works. That being said I really don't know much yet. But I am having an issue with my CPU showing core temps running into the yellow and even red at times, and my game and sound start lagging when or if it gets into the red. Red has only happened once but I'd like to avoid it and know the causes potentially of it. What I know of/ i have:

CPU: i7 5960x 

Motherboard: GA X99

H105 Cooler ( pretty sure)

Ax1200i Power supply 

3 front corsair fans in the front, 1 in back 

Believe its all in a big obsidian case 

2 EVGA GTX 980ti in SLI 

32 GB DDR4

BenQ XL2730Z monitor (1080 at the moment)

Idle is mid 40's which i have been reading some places is normal it seems. But Apex Legends at mid-high settings 1080 and all low 1440 are running it well into the 75-80 range. This is mostly what I play, and I keep hearing that for what I have that's not good. So I've been trying to trouble shoot by dimming settings and resolution and changing the thermal paste thermal paste and figure out what the issue may be if any at all. Like I said I really don't know much so I don't know if this request is missing more info. My friend most recently said it may be my voltage which idle seems to be around .75-.9 which he said seems to mean that isn't the issue. I just don't want to push anything too hard or fry anything before tax time when I would be able to replace or upgrade any of it. I have to mention that I have never really had any lagging in game or in game sound wise until recently, and that was playing at low setting 1440 for the past two or three months and just recently started getting hotter. I feel I should maybe also mention that the night this first happened I had just downloaded an Nvidia update, was told I should maybe revert but haven't yet. I can explain more in comments but don't know if or want to make this too longwinded. Thanks to anyone who reads and especially anyone with more knowledge lol.  

1 minute ago, ThatNewGuy01211 said:

I'm incredibly new to the PC World and not too seasoned in forums so forgive me if this is poorly composed. Lifetime console gamer but was recently gifted a pc to play

Does the case have glass on every side restricting airflow?

How old is the CPU cooler? Might just need to replace it. a Scythe Fuma 2 should be fine as long as it supports that socket.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

9 minutes ago, ThatNewGuy01211 said:

Idle is mid 40's which i have been reading some places is normal it seems. But Apex Legends at mid-high settings 1080 and all low 1440 are running it well into the 75-80 range.

not really a big deal, anything 80 or lower is a perfectly fine temp. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I have one side of glass and that is it. Top of case has the cpu Radiator.  PC itself is i believe from 2015 and I would imagine the cooler is from initial purchase. Sctyhe appears to be able to fit from what I am reading about it 

16 minutes ago, ThatNewGuy01211 said:

make sure your fans are running at full speed and your pump on your aio is working

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

not really a big deal, anything 80 or lower is a perfectly fine temp. 

So I don't have to worry about long term-ish use under those conditions? Or high 80's, pic is after one game on high 1080 settings 

image.png.67d68385a795adf2390dcd9611d64438.png

2 minutes ago, ThatNewGuy01211 said:

So I don't have to worry about long term-ish use under those conditions? Or high 80's, pic is after one game on high 1080 settings 

Getting up to 87 is fairly high, if it was only 80 it wouldn't be a big deal.

Is your CPU overclocked?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

not sure how to know if pump is working and I have afterburner for my GPU fan speed but I need different software for the rest of my fans correct? 

9 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

make sure your fans are running at full speed and your pump on your aio is working

3 minutes ago, ThatNewGuy01211 said:

You could try applying new thermal paste and making sure everything is dust free.

Could also remove the side panel to eliminate any airflow issues.

Images would be useful.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You could try applying new thermal paste and making sure everything is dust free.

Could also remove the side panel to eliminate any airflow issues.

Images would be useful.

When we changed the thermal paste we wiped and blew down everything before applying new and I've thought about doing so with the front panel since the fans would still have the cover 

When we changed the thermal paste we wiped and blew down everything before applying new and I've thought about doing so with the front panel since the fans would still have the cover 

The AIO may just be getting old then

don't know if intel was using thermal paste under the IHS or soldering it, that'd matter a lot for temps.

Spoiler

That's what I will have to try next I'm thinking. 

Looks like it's thermal paste

but I really wouldn't bother delidding it in general, or of effort, and there's no real chance for future resale.

Spoiler

Not sure if thermal paste as we just changed it and the same has happened. Unless its pooping out ( if it even does that) way fast for some reason. I am going to try to get an AIO this weekend, not sure how to tell if this one is still working or not especially considering core temps. I work in a warehouse and had decent temps there after cleaning and reapplying new paste. And seemed to stay below 80 even during gameplay. Brought it to a maybe 10 ( work 60-65F vs home 72) degree difference back at home and it's high again. Not on carpet, but would that external temperature difference cause that much change internally? 

1 minute ago, ThatNewGuy01211 said:

Not sure if thermal paste as we just changed it and the same has happened. Unless its pooping out ( if it even does that) way fast for some reason. I am going to try to get

I'd just go with a D15 from noctua so you never have to worry about it breaking down.

Spoiler

I like the idea of these air ones but is it safe to set something like that up vertically? I would love to update the graphics card and cpu in a few months but would hate for something to happen to it 

16 minutes ago, ThatNewGuy01211 said:

I like the idea of these air ones but is it safe to set something like that up vertically? I would love to update the graphics card and cpu in a few months but would hate for something to happen to it 

Depending on the game a 980ti with an OC is still good enough for 1440p high settings gaming.

CPU coolers are normally installed like that.

Just get an AM4 version of the D15 or the Dark Rock Pro 4 comes with AM4 brackets, so it'll work with the likely Ryzen 4000 CPU upgrade next year.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ThatNewGuy01211 said:

Not sure if these picture are adequate enough 

867D9AEF-20AB-4BC4-B804-B4C6DB6F79D4.jpeg

DB0D8FDD-1CB3-486E-AFBF-1079A77DACEF.jpeg

6B958BB9-C8C0-4E6D-8931-2B68051CFB32.jpeg

NO WHY THE SLI!!!!

AMD blackout rig

38 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

NO WHY THE SLI!!!!

?? Not sure what you mean explain please 

51 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Depending on the game a 980ti with an OC is still good enough for 1440p high settings gaming.

CPU coolers are normally installed like that.

Just get an AM4 version of the D15 or the Dark Rock Pro 4 comes with AM4 brackets, so it'll work with the likely Ryzen 4000 CPU upgrade next year.

I have access to a maximus xi hero z390 once im able to upgrade the cpu be able to use it so I was gonna try and shoot for a 9700k and then graphics upgrade. Always mentioning I'm not the most knowledgable to all of this. I won’t upgrade til around march-april and im sure things will come out by then but that was what i was initially shooting for 

Amazoning a Scythe Fuma 2 today and will install tomorrow and give updates, thank you to everyone for your help so far :)

Also figured out I should download Corsair Link and see what happens with my pump while i wait 

9 hours ago, ThatNewGuy01211 said:

?? Not sure what you mean explain please 

why would you spend money on sli when so few programs support it 

AMD blackout rig