Computer hard crashes upon launching any video game [Ryzen 3600 + MSI B450 Tomahawk].

So just last night, I upgraded to a Ryzen 3600 on a MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard with DDR4 3200. My PC was gaming absolutely fine yesterday. However, today upon launching any game, sometimes my PC hard locks instantly, and other times I can play for about 5 minutes before my screen goes black and then my monitor proceeds to tell me that it is going to sleep. I'm given no error message, no BSOD, no nothing. It just hard crashes, I can hear the audio continuously loop, and the only way I get it to stop is by holding down the power button. I know this isn't detailed at all but I really have no fucking idea what is causing this crash. If anyone has run into this issue or has any possible idea please help, this has been the absolute upgrade from hell.

I've tried updated graphics drivers and updated the bios.

Thanks!

is it the temps?

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

6 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

is it the temps?

CPU temp is sitting around 65 C to 70 C when gaming which I assume is normal. It's a really bizarre issue where I can't even tell what is crashing because the screen instantly goes black and my only option is to continuously reset and run the same programs over and over again trying to figure out what exactly is causing the issue. 

15 hours ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

CPU temp is sitting around 65 C to 70 C when gaming which I assume is normal. It's a really bizarre issue where I can't even tell what is crashing because the screen instantly goes black and my only option is to continuously reset and run the same programs over and over again trying to figure out what exactly is causing the issue. 

well, i had the same issues with my old 1060 (before it died because of corrosion :/)

now do you have enough power from PSU?

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

1 minute ago, Martin2132 said:

well, i had the same issues with my old 1060 (before it died because of corrosion :/)

I would assume so. Got a 750watt PSU. I'm going to just unplug all the internal wires and pray that it is just a loose connection somewhere. 

is the motherboard new?

if yes, did you reinstall windows?

if no, did you update bios?

2 minutes ago, Derrk said:

is the motherboard new?

if yes, did you reinstall windows?

if no, did you update bios?

Yup, brand new motherboard and I did reinstall windows. 

1 minute ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

Yup, brand new motherboard and I did reinstall windows. 

is it a tomahawk MAX variant?

1 hour ago, Derrk said:

is it a tomahawk MAX variant?

no, it's just the basic Tomahawk. 

3 minutes ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

no, it's just the basic Tomahawk. 

it'll need a bios update to be fully compatible with ryzen 3000 series

6 hours ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

I had a very similar issue with R 3600 and MSI Tomahawk MAX,  except it would freeze / reboot / boot into bios *only* while idling   I had absolutely no issues whatsoever while gaming weirdly,  returned the POS and now am using my good old MSI B350M Mortar with the R 3600 and it's working fine. 

As an aside I don't think that's normal, my 3600 barely reaches 54C while playing demanding games (usually between 40-98% usage on all cores too so it's not like it's sleeping while I play) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Derrk said:

it'll need a bios update to be fully compatible with ryzen 3000 series

But would it even boot without the correct BIOS? 

I think you're right but that sure is weird that it even boots with a not compatible BIOS no?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Clear CMOS/load optimized defaults, disable PBO and set dram speed, dram voltage and timings manually.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

11 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

But would it even boot without the correct BIOS? 

I think you're right but that sure is weird that it even boots with a not compatible BIOS no?

im surprised as well. I've never been in that position, but i had assumed it couldn't boot with an incompatible bios. it doesn't hurt to try though! let me know if helps at all

another possibility is incompatible memory. ryzen is a bit finicky with ram, so you could try reducing the memory overclock below xmp. also check your motherboards QVL to see if your memory its listed as compatible.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 9:07 PM, Martin2132 said:

On 11/19/2019 at 3:03 AM, Mark Kaine said:

I had a very similar issue with R 3600 and MSI Tomahawk MAX,  except it would freeze / reboot / boot into bios *only* while idling   I had absolutely no issues whatsoever while gaming weirdly,  returned the POS and now am using my good old MSI B350M Mortar with the R 3600 and it's working fine. 

As an aside I don't think that's normal, my 3600 barely reaches 54C while playing demanding games (usually between 40-98% usage on all cores too so it's not like it's sleeping while I play) 

Any resolution to the MSI Tomahawk MAX, I have the same idle issue.

16 hours ago, MajorMaxima said:

Any resolution to the MSI Tomahawk MAX, I have the same idle issue.

Nope. It could have been the BIOS / chipset drivers but I never managed to actually update the BIOS since it's a very convoluted process on MSI boards and simply didn't work or was defective. 

After a few days I had enough and simply send it back to the seller and now am using my old B350M board,  where it was also really difficult to update the BIOS but I eventually managed... No big issues with that + Ryzen 3600, no crashes,  mysterious reboots etc.  :)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity