Silent Mechanical for library use?

Trippsy

As holiday sales are approaching very soon, I am looking for a keyboard to use at my local library as I do quite a bit of typing there. These crappy keyboards you get with a Dell or HP are the worst keyboards I've ever used. I digress.

I'm looking for a cheapo (preferably sub $100) mechanical keyboard that is mildly quiet (enough so for library use). I hear Redragon is pretty good for being cheap.

I'd prefer not to spend too much money though, because my daily driver at home costed my a pretty penny, and I'd rather not throw a $100+ board in the backseat of a car to use at a public computer. As long as its not an absolute pain to type on I'm absolutely fine with it.

If you are ok with a 60 percent keyboard i would recommend the Dierya x Kemove 60% mechanical keyboard with your choice of switches i am pretty sure it comes in either blue brown or red gateron switches

it does have rgb though so idk if that is what you would want to use at the library but i think that it is a solid keyboard for the price of 50 bucks

3 hours ago, Trippsy said:

I hear Redragon is pretty good for being cheap.

I'm going to hazard a guess that these cheap Redragons will include Outemu Blues, which are among the worst-sounding switches in existence due to their extremely tinny, loud sound signature. They're the worst type of keyboard to use in a library.

Would you be up for a Ducky One 2 Mini or an Anne Pro depending on your budget tolerance? Those come with I believe Cherry MX Browns which are fairly quiet.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 hours ago, sowon said:

Would you be up for a Ducky One 2 Mini or an Anne Pro depending on your budget tolerance?

Would have to do more research as I only scanned through google before bed. Seems a bit on the expensive side for what little purpose I need it for, but thanks for the suggestion.

4 hours ago, Sub2pewdiepie said:

it does have rgb though

Does it have any software where I can change or turn it off? Lighting is fine but I don't want it to be distracting. Even on the board im using right now I turned off the flashy moving colors because it was too distracting for myself.

On 11/18/2019 at 11:48 PM, Trippsy said:

Would have to do more research as I only scanned through google before bed. Seems a bit on the expensive side for what little purpose I need it for, but thanks for the suggestion.

Does it have any software where I can change or turn it off? Lighting is fine but I don't want it to be distracting. Even on the board im using right now I turned off the flashy moving colors because it was too distracting for myself.

search rk g87, its probably the cheapest real mechanical keyboard that is also bluetooth wireless with rgb.

build quality is surprisingly good, its on the heavier side unfortunately if you plan to take it around with you.

i think it has a red switch option i really dont remember, i got the blue one since i type at home anyways and i like the noise lol.

bluetooth + usb C detachable wire mode + full rgb (you can install the software but there is nothing you cant do with just key combo anyways, and their software is crap so i dont recommend installing it anyways), at 40-50 bucks, its pretty hard to beat.