Adding a filter when changing usernames

piemadd

Hello all. I was joking around just a few minutes ago, where this mistake happened:

image.png.9ba1f0b6f96c0c8a3a139e9640a7eb6f.png

it might be a good idea to prevent things like this from happening lol, as with some people not being very old on this forum, it might not be the best way they find out about... fun times..... to put it appropriately

i like trains 馃檪

HAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHAHA.

That was.... a poor decision.

Congratulations for reserving the best username possible for at least 6 months!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses:聽https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards work:聽https://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It's not possible to make a filter that that doesn't have false positives and that couldn't be bypassed without too much effort - for example, banning "cum"聽 anywhere in a username would cause issues with "Cumberbatch", and requiring word breaks would still cause issues with legitimate uses, like the latin phrase "cum laude" (why you would put it in a username is another matter, but in principle it would be valid and not disallowed). Instead, usernames are just moderated reactively.

HTTP/2 203

It's not really possible to change your username by accident.聽 You have to navigate into account settings, then click on "Change", then type in a new name and hit the button.聽 For this reason I don't believe more protections are necessary, but if anything such an addition would consist of a popup saying "Your new username will be xXx_1337hax0r_xXx for the next 6 months, do you wish to proceed (Cancel/OK)" or something of that nature.聽 I don't believe this is strictly necessary though since given the significance of the event, it would be normal to take care and ensure everything is correct before proceeding.

A filter for bad words, as mentioned, would be ineffective as well as cause unintended side-effects.

Solve your own audio issues聽 | 聽First Steps with RPi 3聽 | 聽Humidity & Condensation聽 | 聽Sleep & Hibernation聽 | 聽Overclocking RAM聽 | 聽Making Backups聽 | 聽Displays聽 | 聽4K / 8K / 16K / etc.聽 | 聽Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme. 聽You can change it at the bottom.

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's not really possible to change your username by accident.聽 You have to navigate into account settings, then click on "Change", then type in a new name and hit the button.聽 For this reason I don't believe more protections are necessary, but if anything such an addition would consist of a popup saying "Your new username will be xXx_1337hax0r_xXx for the next 6 months, do you wish to proceed (Cancel/OK)" or something of that nature.聽 I don't believe this is strictly necessary though since given the significance of the event, it would be normal to take care and ensure everything is correct before proceeding.

A filter for bad words, as mentioned, would be ineffective as well as cause unintended side-effects.

Ryan, internet points are a hell of a drug.聽

Essentially, me and my friends on Discord were joking around about 'Linus (insert verb here) Tips' and i was like, "HAHA lemme do this on the forum but not actually cuz thats stoopid". After receiving my internet points, I went back to the tab, but instinctively hit the big orange button instead of closing the tab, thanks brainfart. The rest is history.

i like trains 馃檪

42 minutes ago, pierom_qwerty said:

Ryan, internet points are a hell of a drug.聽

Essentially, me and my friends on Discord were joking around about 'Linus (insert verb here) Tips' and i was like, "HAHA lemme do this on the forum but not actually cuz thats stoopid". After receiving my internet points, I went back to the tab, but instinctively hit the big orange button instead of closing the tab, thanks brainfart. The rest is history.

and hopefully a big lesson learned that internet EPEEN points are pointless and mean absolutely squat.聽

Community Standards聽| Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @聽me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer.聽

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop |聽Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)聽| RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36聽3600mhz聽

1tb Samsung 970 Evo |聽2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming聽Rig

聽Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix聽| 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |聽聽Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Seems like it'd be pointless changing because you made a mistake. If one genuinely makes said mistake and they wanna change their name back because they didn't intend to change their name, why not just PM a moderator to get your name changed back?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.