Torosus M.2 SSD?

aisle9

I picked up a tiny little baby laptop yesterday that has storage expandable via M.2-2242 or M.2-2260 SATA SSD. 2242 compatibility is better than 2260, so that's the direction I'm going in. There are some options on Amazon and, well, none are spectacular. In terms of price, this TOROSUS SSD looks like the best bang for the buck with ok-ish R/W speeds and 480GB of capacity for about $50 after coupon and tax. But, I mean, TOROSUS? Does anyone know anything about these guys or this drive/chip in particular?

The most appealing alternative is a KingSpec 512GB drive, but that one would run me $70 before tax, and while I do know more about KingSpec and have had a few good drives come from them, that price differential tho...

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

9 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Id be VERY hesitant with No name brand SSD's. 

I am too, but the pickings for the 2242 form factor aren’t exactly great. The few name brands that are out there are painfully expensive. KingSpec has always been good for me, but still, $70 for an SSD for a system that cost me $100?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

• 2 weeks later...