ASUS P9X79 WS/IPMI BIOS updates

Hello folks!
I have Asus P9X79 WS/IPMI on my hands and it seems like this board doesn't get much love from Asus for some reason - there is no page on Asus site for it, only for P9X79 WS, yet boards look quite different.
The only BIOS update I could find  for IMPI version is 1208 curtesy of https://www.win-raid.com/ and it came from a seller with non-IMPI 4901.
With any luck, are there any users of this board, are there any benefits of going stock BIOS?
Thanks!

I had the exact same board. I bought it on eBay as a "normal" ASUS P9Z79 WS, but it turned out to be the IPMI version. I returned it for the reason that it was too expensive to have those kinds of quirks, such as not finding BIOS versions for it. It was also very very picky in terms of RAM.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/18/2020 at 1:31 AM, Sir0zero said:

Any update on this at all?

Not really, still using non-IMPI 4901 bios version

• 10 months later...

@Avicorn do you have any tips for getting this board working?  I've tried everything and can't get an image to display.  Such a pain.  I believe I'm on the stock 1208 bios from Asus, at least it seemed to take through the Flashback function.  The machine starts up, runs through some startup tests, and lands on "A0" in the display.  This seems to indicate it's fine?  But I don't get any GPU output.  I've tried a few cards, in different slots, and have stripped down to just 1 stick of RAM + 1 SATA drive trying to get this working.  No dice!

Was there anything you had to do to get it to boot?  Do you have an AUX jumper in place? (the other bios form seemed to mention that)

Thanks for any pointers you might have, would love to get this up and running.

On 11/17/2019 at 5:03 AM, Avicorn said:

Hello folks!
I have Asus P9X79 WS/IPMI on my hands and it seems like this board doesn't get much love from Asus for some reason - there is no page on Asus site for it, only for P9X79 WS, yet boards look quite different.
The only BIOS update I could find  for IMPI version is 1208 curtesy of https://www.win-raid.com/ and it came from a seller with non-IMPI 4901.
With any luck, are there any users of this board, are there any benefits of going stock BIOS?
Thanks!

Use afudos and flash the non ipmi bios at your own risk, if you are gonna bios mod anyways might aswell flash to a higher end board

Ive done some bios flashing on my p5q and p5q pro boards mainly for ocing and it seems to work fine and overclock ability on my modded p5q with a p5q pro turbo bios is much better than stock