R5 3600 vs R7 2700x

I'm debating on which one to go with for my brother's Christmas gift. I'm leaning towards the 3600 because he mainly does gaming but the current price of the 2700x is very enticing. He does have 144Hz monitor and is running with a GTX 1060 6gb. He currently has an i7 2600k but lost the silicon lottery on it because we cannot get that thing on a stable OC over 4ghz. Thoughts? I am slightly on a budget but trying to make the best purchase for the money.

2700 non x at $166 is great value and OCs to match a 2700x.

With anything under a 2080 and/or terribly relaxed settings and certain games at 1080p, there won't be a big difference between these CPUs.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

if you live near a microcenter they have some incredible deals on 2700x combos. 

That said, shouldn't a i7 2600k be fine for gaming at 1080p? I don't think you are going to have a CPU bottleneck here. If anything you are looking at the GPU bottleneck trying to push 144 frames in non-competitive games. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

2 minutes ago, Skipple said:

That said, shouldn't a i7 2600k be fine for gaming at 1080p? 

Should be, yes. But he does plan on getting a newer video card this next summer and I don't think it'll handle anything beefy with his refresh rate for much longer. Plus I want to give him the option of exploring streaming and editing. Like I said, his cpu doesn't overclock worth a damn so he's getting to a point of borderline bottlenecks.. I'm just trying to give him some head room for the future. Plus he can't get an nvme drive on that old platform. Figure he's had that setup for 8 or so years, time for an update. If I buy him this part, he can swing a newer gpu sooner. He barely gets over 100 fps on low settings playing Apex Legends.

6 minutes ago, Skipple said:

That said, shouldn't a i7 2600k be fine for gaming at 1080p? 

And I'm within a few hours of a Microcenter. That's actually what I was just looking at. My dad lives like 30 minutes from there so I was looking at having him snag it for me and going that route. $200 gets me a 2700x and a motherboard (plus tax of course). That's crazy good.

6 minutes ago, LordSlimJimm said:

I want to give him the option of exploring streaming and editing.

This makes me want to lean on the side of 2700x then. Remember, he will have an upgrade path because of the AM4 sockets so he can upgrade to a 3XXX or 4XXX in the future if he wants to. 

4 minutes ago, LordSlimJimm said:

I'm within a few hours of a Microcenter. That's actually what I was just looking at. My dad lives like 30 minutes from there so I was looking at having him snag it for me and going that route. $200 gets me a 2700x and a motherboard

100%. I was able to grab a combo for under $185. 

Remember to take in account new RAM (3200) too. (and the NVME Drive if you want to be really nice) 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

This makes me want to lean on the side of 2700x then. Remember, he will have an upgrade line because of the AM4 sockets so he can upgrade to a 3XXX or 4XXX in the future if he wants to. 

100%. I was able to grab a combo for under $185. 

Remember to take in account new RAM (3200) too. (and the NVME Drive if you want to be really nice) 

Hell I was tempted to give him my 3600 and keep the 2700x. Though I don't know if I'd seem that much difference with my RTX 2070 doing that. I've also wanted to get into video editing and using programs like solid works.

Just now, LordSlimJimm said:

Hell I was tempted to give him my 3600 and keep the 2700x. Though I don't know if I'd seem that much difference with my RTX 2070 doing that. I've also wanted to get into video editing and using programs like solid works.

From what I have seen.... 3600 has the better gaming performance and 2700x is better for a workstation.

I don't think you would see much difference either way. 

ask me about my homelab

4 minutes ago, Skipple said:

From what I have seen.... 3600 has the better gaming performance and 2700x is better for a workstation.

I don't think you would see much difference either way. 

I think I'm going to drive up to KC to pick up this combo tomorrow. Just seems silly not to.

7 minutes ago, LordSlimJimm said:

I think I'm going to drive up to KC to pick up this combo tomorrow. Just seems silly not to.

gas ain't cheap either though. so factor that in as well.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Plutosaurus said:

gas ain't cheap either though. so factor that in as well.

Yeah doing that as well.. Might be better off ordering online on amazon or newegg. Gas would be about $50 round trip, plus turnpike fees, and sales tax it'll be closer to $300 and about 5-5.5 hours driving time. So in this case I may be better off getting the 3600 here in town and getting a motherboard off newegg. Damn that really sucks. I liked the idea of the combo. I wish they'd ship.