what to upgrade on my PC

Thomas_nerd

hi, at the moment I have a i5-4670K and a 660 TI and have 8 GB of DDR3, I mostly do video editing (4k) and at the moment I have to render overnight although this is not practical. if anyone could advise a upgrade (under $100) for my PC

thanks in advance

Tom

1 minute ago, Thomas_nerd said:

mostly video editing (4k)

sorry I already noticed. Based on my experience, video editing require a powerful CPU at the first place, then comes the GPU.

So, does your PS have enough room for an upgrade?

yes I upgraded to a hyper 212 Evo a few months ago because the stock cooler was thermal throttling it and it fits but I means I cant use the fans on the side because its supper tight, also what CPU would you recommend\/

Just now, Thomas_nerd said:

what CPU would you recommend

Based on your budget and motherboard, generally I recommend you to pick at least AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Just now, Thomas_nerd said:

thanks Kinantay 4

Your welcome

But please can you inform me what is your budget? It's hard to recommend you without knowing that

1 hour ago, Thomas_nerd said:

hi, at the moment I have a i5-4670K and a 660 TI and have 8 GB of DDR3, I mostly do video editing (4k) and at the moment I have to render overnight although this is not practical. if anyone could advise a upgrade (under $100) for my PC

thanks in advance

Tom

if you are doing video editing in 4k you need a decent i7 cpu so you could render faster and more efficient

if you want a 100$ upgrade maybe go for more ram or get a nice cooler and try to oc your cpu (if you know how to oc)

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

1 hour ago, Kinantay4 said:

Based on your budget and motherboard, generally I recommend you to pick at least AMD Ryzen 5 1600

not gettting a 1600X in an intel board, unless you know some space magic we dont

OP will have to get a new motherboard and Ram as well, so that kind of blows CPU upgrade right out of their $100 budget. Honestly with that low of a budget OP can get another 8GB of Ram, but 4k video editing is pretty intensive my recommendation would be to save up a bit more and go for a completely new system. A $100 budget is just too low to do any sort of major upgrade.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

23 minutes ago, LeeCope3 said:

not gettting a 1600X in an intel board

Sure, I didn't say you can attach it to your motherboard

Based on your budget and motherboard

I was talking generally here, I meant that he have to pay attention to what motherboard he is using. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough

17 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

so that kind of blows CPU upgrade right out of their $100 budget.

Sure, still it's better to go with AMD if he doesn't use the PC for gaming.

18 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

but 4k video editing is pretty intensive my recommendation would be to save up a bit more and go for a completely new system.

True. I asked him about the budget, if the budget is good enough, I would recommend him to get at least AMD Ryzen 7 2700 along with its motherboard, any CPU weaker than that will give him a hard time when editing 4K videos.

11 hours ago, Kinantay4 said:

True. I asked him about the budget, if the budget is good enough, I would recommend him to get at least AMD Ryzen 7 2700 along with its motherboard, any CPU weaker than that will give him a hard time when editing 4K videos.

Considering that it's only $30 more to get a 3600, and it's a significant performance increase, as well as a thermal and power decrease, I'd recommend that instead. Motherboard and RAM for that CPU are only about $140 if you're going for 16GB, or an extra $60 to go up to 32GB. (that's assuming you're getting good quality RAM and motherboard, and not some shitty el cheapo non-name stuff) The 3600 is only $200 as well, so it's not like it'll break the bank.

Overall, a full system upgrade that replaces the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and GPU, should only cost around $460USD for all new everything without any seasonal sales.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms