Do I need more cores for games

1 hour ago, Otto_iii said:

o wow, what type of tv if you don't mind me asking, sounds like a buy to avoid

It's an older model Vizio smart tv

13 hours ago, ThurraxKidd said:

That's not at all how vsync works.

Yes it is.  Vsync allows FPS at only factors of the refresh rate in double buffered display contexts.  15/30/60 for 60hz, 18.75/37.5/75 for 75hz, 15/30/60/120 for 120hz and so on.

Just confirmed this on Elite Dangerous using native fullscreen.  In an area where I would get ~45 FPS w/o vsync, I get 37 FPS with vsync because of my 75hz display.  In an area where I would have ~60 FPS I get 37 for a bit...  after a bit it does go up to 51, because the frame rate is swinging rapidly between 37 and 75 which is kinda nauseating.  This is the whole reason gsync and freesync are things.

Setting an FPS limit at 60 for a 60hz display is not vsync.

Using full-window modes instead of exclusive fullscreen also kinda works around this by using triple buffering, but it introduces significantly more delay from input to display response.

16 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Vsync will make it worse.  It will instantly jump from 60 to 30, even if you could maintain 40-50.  If you ever fall below 30 for any reason it drops all the way to 15.

That is entirely inaccurate.

17 hours ago, ThurraxKidd said:

I already have a system just need to upgrade cpu, mobo, and gpu man. Chill with all this stuff about getting case, psu, keyboard, and mouse. Though I will have to get a new keyboard once I upgrade mobo because my current one uses a ps2 connection

I say go for it...trust me, a 2200g will serve you well for what you need it for and you'll have a good upgrade platform if you choose to later.

16 minutes ago, steelo said:

That is entirely inaccurate.

It is entirely accurate unless the game or driver does not enforce vsync.

If it wasnt accurate, gsync and freesync would have no reason for existing.

9 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

It is entirely accurate unless the game or driver does not enforce vsync.

If it wasnt accurate, gsync and freesync would have no reason for existing.

vsync essentially caps the frame rate at the limit of the monitors refresh rate, preventing screen tearing. The issues are related to the monitor and game not being able to 'sync up' properly sometimes resulting in frame rate drops.

22 minutes ago, steelo said:

vsync essentially caps the frame rate at the limit of the monitors refresh rate, preventing screen tearing. The issues are related to the monitor and game not being able to 'sync up' properly sometimes resulting in frame rate drops.

No, this is not all that vsync does.  The cap functionality is only how it works if you are getting FPS above the update rate of the monitor.

If a frame is not ready on monitor sync, the same frame is displayed twice.  This gives you half the frame rate.  If you dont display the same frame twice, you would be displaying a partial buffer update, and thus not syncing to monitor refresh.  Vsync forces the GPU to sync to the monitor update rate no matter what, which is why you get stuck at 1/2 or 1/4 FPS if FPS falls below sync rate.

1 hour ago, steelo said:

I think you are confusing frame cap and V-sync.  Def can be confusing as some games will allow you to do one or the other leading some people to think they are the same thing or interchangeable.  There are actually a good amount of games that will allow you to cap FPS and/or turn on V sync separately as two different settings.  These are different things though.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar