Affordable Server 2019 License?

Jediguy

We're in need of a new server where I work and I've been tasked to figure everything out. The last piece of the puzzle is finding an affordable license. I've found them from anywhere between $40 to $800. I can't tell find a difference in them unless the cheaper ones are a scam or if they're legit and others are price gouging. 

The cheap one in question is here.

The more expensive ones are everywhere on google from Amazon, Newegg, etc.

Any suggestions?

Don't buy the cheap licenses, there not legit, server 2019 should be around 500, then extra for cores and CALs.

How are you doing CALs? Do you have VL?

No, I don't have a VL and I wasn't planning on doing CALs. I could be totally wrong as this is my first time doing a server install. I'm just the unfortunate "savvy" tech guy in the office that this got put on so I'm learning as I'm going. The only thing we use our server for is for a single piece of software that gets deployed from the server. We use it for data entry of records so we can search through them. Everything is done through the software that connects to the server but no one logs onto the server except for me to check that our backups ran successfully. Since no one is accessing the server directly I assumed I don't need CALs. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Edit: I should add the reason for the server upgrade is because of the end of life for Server 2008 R2. 

On 11/19/2019 at 7:17 AM, Jediguy said:

No, I don't have a VL and I wasn't planning on doing CALs. I could be totally wrong as this is my first time doing a server install. I'm just the unfortunate "savvy" tech guy in the office that this got put on so I'm learning as I'm going. The only thing we use our server for is for a single piece of software that gets deployed from the server. We use it for data entry of records so we can search through them. Everything is done through the software that connects to the server but no one logs onto the server except for me to check that our backups ran successfully. Since no one is accessing the server directly I assumed I don't need CALs. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Edit: I should add the reason for the server upgrade is because of the end of life for Server 2008 R2. 

Id get someone in there that knows what there doing, you don't want to mess this up.

You gonna need cals. Microsoft says you need cals for users or devices, does't matter how they are using the computer.

What software are you running are you running?