Transfer Windows 10 from old HDD to new SDD

Cat Graphic
Go to solution Solved by Cat Graphic,
On 11/17/2019 at 3:52 PM, mhdshoukry said:

Hi! i'm basically planning to do the same thing. So from what I understand I should:

• Install my ssd in my computer
  • migrate OS to said ssd using some sort of partition software (for example: mini-tool partition wizard)
  • go to bios to make ssd have first boot priority
  • then im done?

Sorry for the late reply. I've successfully migrated my old hard drive to my new SSD and it works flawless!

Here are the steps I've done:

1. Plug your SSD in your computer with a power cable from your powersuply and sata cable (make sure you have a sata cable since my hard drive didn't came with one and I had to use the dvd player's sata cable)
  2. Boot the computer.
  3. Download the Samsung Data Migration Software.
  4. It'll ask you to make a backup of your old hard drive on a usb key or another external harddrive that has more than 8gb of space. I did it just in case, but I didn't use it at the end. Also take note of your serial key seen under Control Panel > System and Security > System > Windows Activation.
  5. Make sure that your Windows 10 has an account with an email, as I realised the computer I migrated had a Windows 7 version and went to Windows 10 without an actual account. From what I readed, it could cause some issues if you don't have an account.
  6. Use the Samsung Data Migration Software to migrate from the old hard drive to SSD (Make sure you have enough space, otherwise clean up space. I use WinDirStat to locate hidden heavy files and CCleaner for an overall cleanup.
  7. After the Migration, shut down the computer and unplug your old Hard Drive as it might boot on it and create issues.
  8. Boot your computer and hold F8 or F12 or which ever options to start in the BIOS.
  9. In the BIOS, set the default hard drive to boot to your SSD.
  10. Start your computer and make sure everything's fine.
  11. Shut down and replug your old hard drive.
  12. Start up again and check if both hard drives shows up. I didn't cared about my other drive so I've formated it, but I'm not sure if there'll be issues having windows installed on 2 hard drives.
  13. Make sure you re-install windows as there might be issues with future updates. Use this tool to re-install windows. This is where you need your Windows account setted up before re-installing Windows.
  14. Follow the straightforward tool. It takes a while to re-install and your good to go!

Good luck!

Good afternoon,

I just bought an SSD (Samsung 860evo) for my desktop. I wish to transfer or clone my windows 10 from my old HDD to the new SSD. I've never did this process in the past but am willing to learn!

I've readed that there are some softwares like EaseUS Todo Backup or aomei that makes it easier to mirror a copy of the OS and files from your previous hard drive, but I'm not quite sure which software would be the best and if possible free.

Any suggestion is appreciated, thanks!

5 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Use Samsung's Data Migration tool. However, whatever you do, do not verify the clone was successful by trying to access the drive while booted from the HDD. Verify it by booting from the SSD.

I see, so immediately after the migration, go in the BIOS and boot from the SSD instead of starting regularly? Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Cat Graphic said:

I see, so immediately after the migration, go in the BIOS and boot from the SSD instead of starting regularly? Thanks!

Even better, remove the HDD.

You should do a clean install, unless you don't care about having problems in the future with windows updates or other software issues.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Even better, remove the HDD.

What if I wish to keep the old HDD as extra storage but only keep the OS on the SSD?

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You should do a clean install, unless you don't care about having problems in the future with windows updates or other software issues.

Is there a way to extract the current windows license and install it on the new SSD? Or do I have to buy another Windows license?

1 minute ago, Cat Graphic said:

What if I wish to keep the old HDD as extra storage but only keep the OS on the SSD?

For that first boot after the clone, i would disconnect power to the drive to make SURE you boot from the SSD.  After you confirm everything is good, then you could shut down, reconnect power and reboot.  Then reformat in disk manager

Just now, Cat Graphic said:

Is there a way to extract the current windows license and install it on the new SSD? Or do I have to buy another Windows license?

Windows license will be cloned over too.  Just reformat the old HDD so windows doesn't see the same license on 2 devices.

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

For that first boot after the clone, i would disconnect power to the drive to make SURE you boot from the SSD.  After you confirm everything is good, then you could shut down, reconnect power and reboot.  Then reformat in disk manager

I see, makes sence, I'll do that thanks!

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Windows license will be cloned over too.  Just reformat the old HDD so windows doesn't see the same license on 2 devices.

Perfect! I feel confident to try it out now, thanks for everyone's advices!

5 minutes ago, Cat Graphic said:

You don't need to extract anything.

It will activate itself automatically if you didn't change the motherboard.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Cat Graphic said:

Perfect! I feel confident to try it out now, thanks for everyone's advices!

Worst case scenario, something goes wrong in the clone and it hangs up or errors out and you have to start over.  Just remember the clone isn't doing anything to your HDD except copying it.  It's pretty low risk.

12 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Worst case scenario, something goes wrong in the clone and it hangs up or errors out and you have to start over.  Just remember the clone isn't doing anything to your HDD except copying it.  It's pretty low risk.

Really reasuring to hear! I was afraid that it would be similar as having no power in the middle of bios updates.

Hi! i'm basically planning to do the same thing. So from what I understand I should:

• migrate OS to said ssd using some sort of partition software (for example: mini-tool partition wizard)
  • then im done?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 3:52 PM, mhdshoukry said:

• then im done?

Sorry for the late reply. I've successfully migrated my old hard drive to my new SSD and it works flawless!

1. Plug your SSD in your computer with a power cable from your powersuply and sata cable (make sure you have a sata cable since my hard drive didn't came with one and I had to use the dvd player's sata cable)
  2. Boot the computer.
  4. It'll ask you to make a backup of your old hard drive on a usb key or another external harddrive that has more than 8gb of space. I did it just in case, but I didn't use it at the end. Also take note of your serial key seen under Control Panel > System and Security > System > Windows Activation.
  5. Make sure that your Windows 10 has an account with an email, as I realised the computer I migrated had a Windows 7 version and went to Windows 10 without an actual account. From what I readed, it could cause some issues if you don't have an account.
  6. Use the Samsung Data Migration Software to migrate from the old hard drive to SSD (Make sure you have enough space, otherwise clean up space. I use WinDirStat to locate hidden heavy files and CCleaner for an overall cleanup.
  7. After the Migration, shut down the computer and unplug your old Hard Drive as it might boot on it and create issues.
  8. Boot your computer and hold F8 or F12 or which ever options to start in the BIOS.
  12. Start up again and check if both hard drives shows up. I didn't cared about my other drive so I've formated it, but I'm not sure if there'll be issues having windows installed on 2 hard drives.
  13. Make sure you re-install windows as there might be issues with future updates. Use this tool to re-install windows. This is where you need your Windows account setted up before re-installing Windows.
  14. Follow the straightforward tool. It takes a while to re-install and your good to go!

Good luck!

55 minutes ago, Cat Graphic said:

2. Boot the computer.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for this.