Help me choose the right PSU for my system

Hello,

So few days earlier I have decided to change my PSU since system was crashing on high loads. My old PSU is EPS ENERGON Gaming power supply 650W semi-modular, and as I looked it up on google people were saying that its a junk psu ( correct me if I am wrong.) So I decided to go with CORSAIR CX 650W semi-modular also, but with that one my system refused to boot longer than 1 second, so I switched it back to my old psu again and it booted properly but crashed again on high loads. I managed to refund the corsair psu and now I am in search of PSU that will work on my specs and not sbut down my system immediately.

My sytem is 3 years old and after 2 and half years of use shutdowns and restarts began on high loads, its not the temperature, as I checked the temps and changed termal pastes on cpu and gpu, so I suspect its the PSU.

Cpu at idle : 25C
Cpu at load: 48C

Gpu at idle: 50C ( fans only spin at 60C)
Gpu at load: 69C

Pc is clean and cables are all checked.
Power outlets are fine.

Ram is reseated and Cmos battery is changed.

Here are the specs:

motherboard: Gigabyte ultra durable h110m
cpu: Intel i5 6500 3.2ghz 3.2ghz 4 cores
gpu: XFX AMD RX 480 8gb vram
ram: 2x 8gb Hyper x
hard drive: 1x Toshiba 1tb drive

Coolers: cpu stock cooler, 1 front panel intake cooler and double stock gpu coolers

1x 60hz acer monitor
1x keyboard
1x mouse
1x Headset

No speakers

Since Corsair cx650W didnt worked on my machine, I dont know which one to buy for my system and I need help to solve this annoying issue

Mybe its just a faulty one out of the box, But I dont think so it gave the power to the mother board, when I pressed the power button everything lighten up and spinned for a second and then shutdown

The old psu crashes only on high loads.

Thanks for future advices, I appreciate everyones advice :) Help!

Since the old PSU and the new PSU both have problems, it seems some other piece of hardware is at fault. Try booting without the graphics card, see what changes.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

48 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Since the old PSU and the new PSU both have problems, it seems some other piece of hardware is at fault. Try booting without the graphics card, see what changes.

Since old psu boots the system and fails at high load that symptom points me to PSU,  new psu wouldnt even boot the PC for more than 1 second. 

Prime95 cpu test doesnt crash the PC but Furmark Gpu test crashes the PC. 

Meh. 

5 minutes ago, Lethiferous72 said:

Since old psu boots the system and fails at high load that symptom points me to PSU,  new psu wouldnt even boot the PC for more than 1 second. 

if it were the power supply at fault and not the system, and both power supplies have separate problem. One is dying, and one is Dead on arrival. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, Lethiferous72 said:

Prime95 cpu test doesnt crash the PC but Furmark Gpu test crashes the PC.

And that points you to the... PSU? Not, you know, the GPU?

It's a pity you already returned your Corsair CX650M. "Booting the PC for just 1 second" is more than likely caused by user error (using incorrect cables or connecting them wrong) than the PSU malfunctioning, and if you still had, we could troubleshoot that.

10 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

And that points you to the... PSU? Not, you know, the GPU?

It's a pity you already returned your Corsair CX650M. "Booting the PC for just 1 second" is more than likely caused by user error (using incorrect cables or connecting them wrong) than the PSU malfunctioning, and if you still had, we could troubleshoot that.

I actually still have it. 

but its not a science fiction you know

My cpu power is 4 pins so I splited the 8 pin and connected only 4, I connected the sata to my cdrom and toshiba hard drive,  24 pin,  and ofcourse 6 pin PCIe to the gpu. 

Yeah it points me to the gpu because old psu crashes only at high loads and its more than likely that psu is having trouble to deliver the power gpu needs. 

Prime95 is not that power watage hungry as furmark gpu test. 

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

if it were the power supply at fault and not the system, and both power supplies have separate problem. One is dying, and one is Dead on arrival. 

That is what I think the problem is,  why would one boot the PC and the other refuse to boot the PC? 

6 hours ago, Lethiferous72 said:

My old PSU is EPS ENERGON Gaming power supply 650W semi-modular,

https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/psu/atx/eps-650-cm

Were you using the old power cables from the energon power supply with the new Corsair PSU? Or did you use only the cables that came in the box with the Corsair power supply?

What happened with the Corsair power supply when you tried booting the system without the graphics card installed using the i5 6500 integrated graphics for display output?

7 hours ago, Lethiferous72 said:

gpu: XFX AMD RX 480 8gb vram

5 hours ago, Lethiferous72 said:

and ofcourse 6 pin PCIe to the gpu. 

6pin? Shouldn't an rx480 have at least an 8pin, or 8+6?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/psu/atx/eps-650-cm

Were you using the old power cables from the energon power supply with the new Corsair PSU? Or did you use only the cables that came in the box with the Corsair power supply?

What happened with the Corsair power supply when you tried booting the system without the graphics card installed using the i5 6500 integrated graphics for display output?

6pin? Shouldn't an rx480 have at least an 8pin, or 8+6?

I am sorry its 8 pin for gpu.  I used only the brand new cables that came with corsair even the power outlet is used that they provided. 

Now pc without gpu still booted for a second and craahed. 

I have a question that bothers me,  I connected my CD-ROM and my 1tb hard drive with the same SATA power cable I used two connectors on the same cable for them,  but on my EPS I used 2 different SATA cables for each. 

Could that be the issue? 

4 minutes ago, Lethiferous72 said:

I have a question that bothers me,  I connected my CD-ROM and my 1tb hard drive with the same SATA power cable I used two connectors on the same cable for them,  but on my EPS I used 2 different SATA cables for each. 

Could that be the issue? 

No.

4 minutes ago, Lethiferous72 said:

Now pc without gpu still booted for a second and craahed. 

This sounds like CPU isn't getting power.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

No.

Wanna hear the funny thing?  Sometimes the pc booted up to a minute right when all the apps and windows loaded then it woukd crash,  but in most cases boot woukdnt last more than a second,  and the longer I try to press the power button in a row the quicker it would fail,  until it wouldnt even light up or spin anymore and the only things left powered on are power button ( since its trying to boot loop)  and keyboard,  monitor and mouse. 

This is a strange situation and probably a dead psu out of the box. 

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

No.

One more thing bothers me,  when I jumped into the bios today with the old psu I noticed it reads 1.111W shouldnt it be atleast 1.200W to work properly on high loads.  1.2V is clearly written on its side.  

I might sound stupid,  but this problem is annoying me so hard.