UnRAID not picking up DHCP

knightslugger

I've been at this for hours and cannot figure it out.

I've loaded version after version of unraid and keep hitting the same wall. KNOWN GOOD NETWORK INTERFACES. Been using them for years.

Upon first boot, ifconfig tells me br0 is set to a self- assigned IP. There is no Bridge connection. I've never HAD a bridge connection. It's a fresh install!

Checked to see if there was a eth0 interface. NONE.

When i edit the network config file for static settings, all it does is tell me the IP Address is what I plugged in as br0, and is not connected to the network at all.

I've tried my onboard NIC (Intel) and a two port PCIe card (also intel) and NOTHING WORKS.

I tried to see if maybe pulling br0 down would work. NOPE!

Set bonding to "NO" in the config file. didn't do anything.

tried deleting the config file and letting it rebuild (doesn't...)

remade the config file... no change.

Tried disabling on-board NIC with the intel card attached. again, no change.

tried the other port. no change.

So frustrating. I tried to make a DIAGNOSTICS file, and it runs, and tells me where it put it... SURPRISE! ...directory doesn't exist. no log .zip to even share.

I'm at my wits end here. UNRAID was supposed to be dead simple. this is anything BUT!

Current hardware:

Asus Z170-A (3802 BOIS)

Intel Celeron G3930

16 GB 2133 CL15 DDR4

4x1GB WD NAS (previously used in FreeNAS setup)

Whatever help you can give would be much appreciated.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I'm not familiar with unraid, but does it come with network-manager preinstalled? Otherwise, I assume you mean you edited /etc/network/interfaces, right? Maybe post the file so we can see what it looks like.

Your network interface isn't necessarily called "eth0" anymore. Mine is called "enp3s0" for example. I also have bridges that were created by docker and a docker0 interface. You should get the devices with "ip link show" (and "ip addr show" instead of ifconfig, which is deprecated).

For DHCP your config should look something like this:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

You'll need to restart network manager after modification, if applicable. (sudo service network-manager restart).

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

I'm not familiar with unraid, but does it come with network-manager preinstalled? Otherwise, I assume you mean you edited /etc/network/interfaces, right? Maybe post the file so we can see what it looks like.

Your network interface isn't necessarily called "eth0" anymore. Mine is called "enp3s0" for example. I also have bridges that were created by docker and a docker0 interface. You should get the devices with "ip link show" (and "ip addr show" instead of ifconfig, which is deprecated).

For DHCP your config should look something like this:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

You'll need to restart network manager after modification, if applicable. (sudo service network-manager restart).

Looks like this at the moment:

# Generated network settings
USE_DHCP="yes"
IPADDR=
NETMASK=
GATEWAY=
BONDING="yes"
BRIDGING="yes"

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 hours ago, knightslugger said:

Looks like this at the moment:

# Generated network settings
USE_DHCP="yes"
IPADDR=
NETMASK=
GATEWAY=
BONDING="yes"
BRIDGING="yes"

You have bridging enabled there.

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

16 hours ago, Ben17 said:

You have bridging enabled there.

Doesn't seem to matter what i put in there. I tried yet another fresh installation. br0 is always there with self-assigned IP,  and regardless of what i do in ifconfig or the config file, it does not connect to the network. the network link is up on the router as gigabit so SOMETHING is there.

One other odd thing that's been irking me... it's always named Tower, no matter what i change the name to at the USB Drive installer, it's ALWAYS Tower.

Is there something wrong with my installer perhaps?

System specs:

andbecause it continues to refuse to create the diagnostics file... see attached.

DSC00034.JPG

DSC00035.JPG

System specs:

i dont know then sry

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

• 1 month later...

Oh God... the internet has brought me here (absolutely identical issue) and there is no resolution.

Has anyone ever found a solution? I even tried a NEW computer with a NEW flash drive and NEW load of UNRAID. I'll try a new router, and then a new house after this. I'm lost!!!! All of my data is just sitting in a stack of drives on the floor.

I never figured it out, and abandoned the endeavor.

System specs:

• 7 months later...
On 1/11/2020 at 8:54 AM, FlexGunship said:

Oh God... the internet has brought me here (absolutely identical issue) and there is no resolution.

Oh good, me too... However, just in case the Internet continues to bring poor souls to this thread: Unraid 3.9-beta25 seems to have resolved the issue for it.  It turns out the I219-V NIC on my motherboard wasn't "quite" supported by Unraid 3.8.x.  ("Quite" because the I219-V is supported, but this particular one isn't somehow)

Not sure if that fixes anyone in this thread's problem, but hopefully it'll help other lost travelers.

• 5 months later...
On 9/7/2020 at 3:02 AM, Sammy1Am said:

Not sure if that fixes anyone in this thread's problem, but hopefully it'll help other lost travelers.

It certainly helped me. I was getting pretty hopeless but your advice to try the experimental version was golden. Thank you 😄

ps: Not quite sure about that but I guess you meant Unraid version 6.8 & 6.9beta? Either way it helped 🙂