Software to copy files of a damaged Hard Disk?

sdw123

Hi, Is there a software to copy a folder, but it can't read the file, software skip that immediately and move to the next file, etc... All software I tried, is just keep trying like 15 minutes before skipping, so it takes forever to copy few MBs.

if the drive is physically broken you should not try to use it anymore if it is important data. I would send it to recovery immediately but that will run you in the neighbourhood of 1000€ . What is on the drive?

My best guess for DIY solution is booting a linux and using 'dd' to make a bit for bit copy of what is on there.

i have had similar issues with non dead drives, like copying from my phone but i have not fix for that. Some things work shittily but may not be broken.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

4 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

if the drive is physically broken you should not try to use it anymore if it is important data. I would send it to recovery immediately but that will run you in the neighbourhood of 1000€ . What is on the drive?

My best guess for DIY solution is booting a linux and using 'dd' to make a bit for bit copy of what is on there.

i have had similar issues with non dead drives, like copying from my phone but i have not fix for that. Some things work shittily but may not be broken.

Thanks. Data isn't that important.(steam library and movie/tv collection) I'm thinking to copy everything I can and throw the drive away.

iirc you can set a copy speed for dd. I would just go slow and leave it running for long time (depending on the amount of data obv). That is your best chance imo.

I think I remember Linus described a similar process when he visited a professional business with a clean room and all that does data recovery. might be worth a look.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

32 minutes ago, sdw123 said:

Thanks. Data isn't that important.(steam library and movie/tv collection) I'm thinking to copy everything I can and throw the drive away.

honestly if the data is not important just dont copy anything because even if it works you cant be sure the data is not corrupted already.