nvme compatibility

drRodneyMcKay

Hi!

I am planning a storage update to my pc. 

I have a gigabyte z170-hd3p otherboard and i have been using sata ssd so far, however now i would like to upgrade to an nvme one.  (i am not planning to replace the whole system)

Will it work?

Thank you for the answers

there is an m.2 2280/2242 slot on the mobo so you can place one there unless the m.2 slot shares a buslane with something else already in use.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

It will work.

image.png.87a1dfc46908281d5fa0df1471a1780e.png

Looks like there is no ports that will be turned off or something, so nothing to worry about there either.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

From the looks of it, the motherboard has room for at least 1 nvme m2 drive. So it should work. Be cautious though, sometimes motherboards disable a specific port when a drive like that is installed. 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

It will work.

image.png.87a1dfc46908281d5fa0df1471a1780e.png

Looks like there is no ports that will be turned off or something, so nothing to worry about there either.

Thanks. I was concerned, because nowhere on the product page can the term 'nvme' be found.

6 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

From the looks of it, the motherboard has room for at least 1 nvme m2 drive. So it should work. Be cautious though, sometimes motherboards disable a specific port when a drive like that is installed. 

Yeah, but the question is, will it run on nvme speeds? Or just sata speeds?

4 minutes ago, drRodneyMcKay said:

Thanks. I was concerned, because nowhere on the product page can the term 'nvme' be found.

NVME and PCIE seem to be used interchangeably.

The information above is from the manual. This is also from the manual:

image.png.a9ff28dc158cd1b41eccd4fbd84bf0bc.png

EDIT: the SSD will work at full speed too, as indicated by the 'x4' in the screenshot I posted before.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 11/7/2019 at 3:47 AM, drRodneyMcKay said:

Yeah, but the question is, will it run on nvme speeds? Or just sata speeds?

Sorry for not getting back to you. It will run at nvme speeds if you are using an nvme M2 drive. If using a sata m2 drive, the port should automatically run at sata speeds. 

This is assuming that I read the specs correctly.

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

On 11/9/2019 at 2:41 AM, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Sorry for not getting back to you. It will run at nvme speeds if you are using an nvme M2 drive. If using a sata m2 drive, the port should automatically run at sata speeds. 

This is assuming that I read the specs correctly.

Thank you very much!