R5 3600 temps, stock cooler revving up

I have a X570 Aorus Elite with the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and stock cooler. Its in a large case with 2 front intake fans, 1 rear and 1 top exhaust.

My CPU temp is around 60 while browsing the internet. It seems to fluctuate a lot from 50 to as high as 70 while just watching a YouTube video. Even with a custom fan curve its very difficult to keep the stock cooler from constantly revving up and slowing down as the temps fluctuate so heavily. I'm using the thermal compound that was stock on the cooler. The cooler has been tightened down as far as I feel comfortable. The screws stopped and would've taken too much force so I don't believe its loose.

This constant revving is very distracting and the fluctuation in temps happening so frequently has me worried about the CPU itself. Seems like I do any minor thing and VRRRMMM its off and running.

Is it possible this is all due to the stock cooler? What else would I look at to determine the cause? Ordered from Amazon so I can return quite easily if I have too.

Edit: Seems the voltage is fluctuating from .9-1.4 while I'm sitting here staring at it. Have browser open and am downloading a game but that's it.

It can't be the cooler imo,  my 3600 is 33C-36C while idling or surfing,  watching videos etc. 

Now that you say it I remember thinking the fan noise was very annoying at first on a MSI B450 board,  which I meanwhile returned and am using my old B350 (MSI) instead.  I barely can hear the CPU fan at all now,  it's at stock settings, always between 1500 (idle) and ca. 2200 under load. 

I did change the thermal paste, naturally after switching boards,  however temps did *not* change much if at all. Actually I'm thinking it might have been the "big" NZXT case which was very flimsy and obviously poor quality materials (seriously sometimes I thought I'd break it by just installing fans etc,  the metal was so thin / soft) 

I'm using my old inwin 301 case now (after also returning the NZXT case which was just very disappointing overall) which is very sturdy - so it could be that also. 

But still,  your temps are way to high. 

What's your ambient temperature? Should always include this in posts on that subject honestly. 

Might be your thermal paste isn't applied evenly (can happen). 

I would probably try changing that first,  I used Arctic MX4,  was very easy to apply. 

PS: it's also not revving up as much anymore  very stable around 1500 while idling,  could be the motherboard or the thermal paste,  not sure 

Also attached a screenshot :

IMG_20191103_213859.thumb.jpg.052ab98e9ae58755a7a99e082fa4fe03.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'm in the midwest so its chilly here now. Room with the PC is high 60's low 70's depending on if the heats running.

The stock thermal paste on the cooler looked perfect but I could try changing it, wouldn't be hard and I do have some MX4 on hand.

the only reason i can think of is that you installed improperly the heatsink, or it is filled with lots of dust and fluff

iirc, you are the second person i hear that the fans on these stock coolers act up weird, so it is possible the fan itself is having problems

i would first check if the 4 screws are well screwed, if that is the case, see if the thermal paste is till is good to use, surlly is not or even if it was, checking it destroys the preapplied one so change it, you need to clean it and apply new one, buy some mx4 thermal paste

see if the space between the fan and the heatsink is not filled with fluff and dust, then check if the fan is spinning wel

cooler not properly mounted?
not enough mounting pressure.

Cooler is securely mounted, couldn't tighten the screws any more unless I really turn them very hard which I'm thinking would be bad. Shouldn't need to be forced with such pressure.

Case and fans were all fully cleaned before install.

I will change thermal paste to eliminate that as a culprit. Research I've done suggests that the paste on the cooler from the factory should be more than adequate but I might as well change it and see what happens.

17 minutes ago, MarleysBeard said:

I'm in the midwest so its chilly here now. Room with the PC is high 60's low 70's depending on if the heats running.

The stock thermal paste on the cooler looked perfect but I could try changing it, wouldn't be hard and I do have some MX4 on hand.

So about same ambient temps... 

Yeah try applying the MX4,  it can't hurt  and for testing purposes set the CPU curve to default - seriously mines always between 1400-1500 or so while idling, I know exactly what you mean it used to rev up for no reason, even though temps were low,  it doesn't do that anymore at all. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, MarleysBeard said:

Cooler is securely mounted, couldn't tighten the screws any more unless I really turn them very hard which I'm thinking would be bad. Shouldn't need to be forced with such pressure.

Case and fans were all fully cleaned before install.

I will change thermal paste to eliminate that as a culprit. Research I've done suggests that the paste on the cooler from the factory should be more than adequate but I might as well change it and see what happens.

Yes, that's correct the screws stop when tightened enough,  really not much one could do wrong about that. 

It's certainly weird your temps are that high - it could also be BIOS and chipset tbh,  I know my R5 is behaving completely different since I installed the latest chipset,  as in it actually parks it cores while idling,  it didn't do that at all with the older chipset! 

Still, my temps have always been low,  so I can only speculate on that part... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Ran Cinebench just to see what the temps would do, stopped it at 86. This thing is running hot as hell.

I think that's normal tbh.  Some chips go around 100C under heavy load so one could say yours is still pretty "cool"!

Did you apply thermal paste?  I'd do that and try again. 

Edit: 

I don't have that program,  but it does seem indeed a bit high for this processor. 

I'm not sure my processor can even remotely get that high,  I think 63C is max so far I've seen. 

But,  I'd really re apply thermal paste,  just because you tightened the screws correctly doesn't necessarily mean it's seated correctly. 

Also, again,  set the fan curve to default,  it really seems reasonable and to know what it does in my case. 

Just tested with prime95 btw,  exactly 5 minutes,  max temp 53C,  I know that doesn't help much, just for comparisons sake. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Also I just found this 

IMG_20191104_035229.jpg.affa5200ceb2081de65ad2d8801bfc52.jpg

So he did the same thing as me lol, except his temps were way higher... 

But check the time,  this is a really old post... 

What you need to do is

re-apply paste, already explained above 

Update the BIOS,  release BIOS are often sub optimal,  not to say trash... 

Update your chipset drivers,  that made a huge difference for me,  not for temps,  but for everything else... 

If your 3600 then still runs hot I think it's save to say that's not normal. Also check it has enough airflow,  I'd just leave the fans on auto for now.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Alright so I ran out to Best Buy and bought a Cooler Master 212 Black edition for $36 (price matched Amazon). Just got it all hooked up and ran Cinebench again to see what changed if anything.

Happy to say its a night and day difference. My max temp with stock cooler was 86c and now it maxes at 68c. I ran it twice and it topped at 68c both times. It also dropped back down to 33-38c within a minute of the test ending. The noise difference is shocking, right off the bat it was much quieter and even during the test wasn't nearly as annoying as the stock cooler.

Not sure if it was the stock thermal paste or cooler to blame for the temps but either way I'm relieved to have it fixed.

Glad you fixed it! Curious now if it was the paste or the cooler, we'll never know. I can only say my AMD stock cooler is excellent as was the one I had previously for my 2200G, I really do like the design also.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I liked the low profile look but the fan was just too loud. Of course my tower sits right next to me on my desk and has a large vent on the side facing me so it needs to be extra quiet.

Lots of people have had good luck with the AMD coolers. They are certainly better than Intels stock cooler offerings from what I've read.