New Computer Build Tips

Greetings. So I’ve got a question for anyone who is willing to provide feedback/advice. I’m less than 16 years old, and I am building a PC for the first time, and I’m a bit nervous. I’ve watched a whole plethora of PC building videos, however, I would appreciate any tips that any of you might have. Thank you for your time.

Stay whelmed,

INARG

Lay out your tools and parts so that you are sure you have everything before you start.  

The most delicate part is the CPU/Motherboard mount.  Do that part with the motherboard horizontal, not vertical. 

That and the Thermal paste, if you have to apply it.

Put the cables on the PSU that you will need before you mount it to the case.  It's hard to get them installed if it's already in the case.

These days it's pretty straight forward.  You'll do fine.

Thanks guys. I just seriously hope that I don’t screw up with the motherboard somehow.

Always read the motherboards manual.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

If you guys don’t mind I’m going to post my future computer specs so that I can get a second opinion for the parts before I receive and assemble everything.

GPU: Sapphire Nito+ RX 580 8 GB

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 (not k)

RAM: DDR3 Kingston HyperX 16 GB 1866 MHz

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155

PSU: EVGA 600 W ATX 12V/EPS 80 Plus

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB

I know, I should probably have an SSD. They’re just expensive. Oh and for my chassis I have a ATX mid-tower.

It's pretty hard to screw up. The hardest part is putting the CPU in the socket, and installing the cooler if you bought a cheap one.

41 minutes ago, drk said:

If you have any experience using LEGO you are more than qualified to click in a few parts to make a computer.

Exactly what I've been saying for years.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 minutes ago, ImNotARealGamer said:

If you guys don’t mind I’m going to post my future computer specs so that I can get a second opinion for the parts before I receive and assemble everything.

GPU: Sapphire Nito+ RX 580 8 GB

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 (not k)

RAM: DDR3 Kingston HyperX 16 GB 1866 MHz

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155

PSU: EVGA 600 W ATX 12V/EPS 80 Plus

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB

I know, I should probably have an SSD. They’re just expensive. Oh and for my chassis I have a ATX mid-tower.

Welcome to the forum! If I were you, I'd add an SSD to your rig. Depending where you live, they're fairly inexpensive and will have definite effect on the snappiness of your system. A 240GB drive will usually sell for $30 USD, and a 500GB drive hovers around the $45-$60 USD mark. 

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

34 minutes ago, xKyric said:

Welcome to the forum! If I were you, I'd add an SSD to your rig. Depending where you live, they're fairly inexpensive and will have definite effect on the snappiness of your system. A 240GB drive will usually sell for $30 USD, and a 500GB drive hovers around the $45-$60 USD mark. 

Thank you for the kind welcoming. I’ll definitely consider getting one. And I do plan on getting one at one point, I just don’t think I will now. I’m not sure though.

35 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's pretty hard to screw up. The hardest part is putting the CPU in the socket, and installing the cooler if you bought a cheap one.

Exactly what I've been saying for years.

Yeah I’m worried about my cooler’s size to be honest. It’s a Gamemax Gamma 500-Rainbow. 

4 minutes ago, ImNotARealGamer said:

Yeah I’m worried about my cooler’s size to be honest. It’s a Gamemax Gamma 500-Rainbow. 

You didn't check compatibility before you bought the parts?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

No I did, however I’m just worried that the GPU will be in the way of the cooler. There’s not really a way to find that kind of stuff out right?

4 minutes ago, ImNotARealGamer said:

No I did, however I’m just worried that the GPU will be in the way of the cooler. There’s not really a way to find that kind of stuff out right?

That cooler is about as small as you can get without getting into small form factor coolers. The GPU won't be in the way of the cooler.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

17 minutes ago, ImNotARealGamer said:

If you put all the parts into a PCpartpicker.com list it will let you know if there are any clearance issues or incompatibilities with components.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

If you put all the parts into a PCpartpicker.com list it will let you know if there are any clearance issues or incompatibilities with components.

I did do that, but I didn’t know they could identify clearance issues as well.

16 minutes ago, ImNotARealGamer said:

I did do that, but I didn’t know they could identify clearance issues as well.

Yes it will let you know in red if there are any incompatibilities with the parts including size and dimensions. If the case is too small, the GPU or cooler is too big etc.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

1 minute ago, ImNotARealGamer said:

Also, whilst installing the cooler which way do I want the fan facing?

You want it on the front side of the cooler blowing through it towards the rear of the case and exhaust fan.

15 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You want it on the front side of the cooler blowing through it towards the rear of the case and exhaust fan.

Alright thanks.

So... would you say that getting a used but “100% tested” mobo is a bad idea?

1 hour ago, ImNotARealGamer said:

So... would you say that getting a used but “100% tested” mobo is a bad idea?

I'd only get it if there's some sort of return policy.  

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

I see on the choice of mobo there's an mSATA slot. Not exactly an SSD, but if you get a smaller capacity that is big enough for at least installing Windows, it'll help in performance, vs having it all depend on a conventional hard drive. A $50 price point can get you 32-64gb of mSATA storage.

1 hour ago, xKyric said:

I'd only get it if there's some sort of return policy.  

Yeah there’s a return policy/warranty. I wouldn’t have gotten it if it didn’t 

57 minutes ago, Euchre said:

I see on the choice of mobo there's an mSATA slot. Not exactly an SSD, but if you get a smaller capacity that is big enough for at least installing Windows, it'll help in performance, vs having it all depend on a conventional hard drive. A $50 price point can get you 32-64gb of mSATA storage.

Ok cool. I’ll definitely look into it. So does that mean I can’t use SSD?