Tablet or Chrome book

Donut417

Im looking for a device I can sit in bed with and surf. Im just not sure whats the best for the money. Im looking around $300 USD ish. Less is fine. All I really want is 1080p for any device. 

From Chromebook I will settle for 16 Gigs of storage, because I have 2 128Gig USB SSD's I can use to exapnd the storage if I need. For a tablet Id like at least 32, but would like 64 Gigs if I can, as not all tabets can use SD cards. I need the storage for movies, I will pull those off my Plex server and have them for when Im out of the house and im bored. I kinda like the idea of a keyboard, and I know a lot of tablets have 1st party or 3rd party keyboard. Screen size Id perfer at least 10 inch and no more than 14 inch. Looking for 8+ hours of battery life. Im familur with iOS, Android and ChromeOS. I have both an Apple account and Google account. 

So far I looked a few chromebooks over a Lenovo. Tabelt wise I have looked a the new Pixel tablet, a bit out of the price range. Ive looked at iPads again a bit out of the price range, the iPad Pro is like Jesus Christ out of my price range, though it looks good. I even considered an HP stream laptop and just throwing Linux on it, but it seems the very cheap ones have shitty hardware and the better ones are like $450 which is more than I want to spend. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If you want to just surf the internet in bed a tablet would be better, a chromebook would have a big bulky keyboard and are quite heavy since they're so cheap.

1 minute ago, Darpyface said:

big bulky keyboard and are quite heavy since they're so cheap.

As said in the post, I want a physical keyboard, I dont like typing on touch screen. And my dads 5 year old Chromebook is not that heavy. THe issue is finding the right device. As it stands I dont like Samsung's take on Android OS or its mobile products. Ive had bad luck with them. Im not sure what other companies are doing on the Android side for tablets. 

You could get a cheap 2 in 1 device running windows like this Lenovo. So you can have a keyboard but flip it out of the way when you're not using it. And windows 10 is better than Chrome OS

2 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

You could get a cheap 2 in 1 device running windows like this Lenovo

I rather stick a spoon in my eye than use Windows 10. I dont even use Windows 10 on my $1500 main desktop. I use Linux, becuase Windows 10 is a fucking mess. Just seen on facebook an hour ago, another update fucked a whole shit load of machines up again. Thanks but No Thanks. Also that machine is outside my budet by $300. 

An older used iPad perhaps? Like the Apple iPad Pro 10.5 from 2017 can be had on ebay for just over 300.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Import a Xiaomi Mi Pad 4

There are multiple versions. But they all don't have piss weak hardware unlike most budget Android tablets.

Never had imported anything before. Also how is their version of Android? Because from what I seen online it’s not the best. That makes or breaks a device. 

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

I’m not in to flashing roms. I’m more of a buy and it just works type of guy. 

I can recommend Acer's Chromebooks - right price to performance. My dad have one (that I found for him) for about 3 years. Works great and battery last for a long time 7-10 h of surfing. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

A used Chromebook Pixel from 2015 would actually be a steal. Since its a panel way above 1080p and its around $200-$300 these days while offering a 3rd gen i5 and 8 GB of RAM 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

3 hours ago, Silentprototipe said:

A used Chromebook Pixel from 2015 would actually be a steal. Since its a panel way above 1080p and its around $200-$300 these days while offering a 3rd gen i5 and 8 GB of RAM 

My only concern with used is the state of the battery. Because after a year or two the batteries start taking a toll. I will check out the pixel though. 

I might just pay the Apple tax and get iPad or maybe spend a lot more and get the MacBook Air. Though I need to see what issues the Mac book airs have. Seems like Apple has issues with its notebook line up.