Will 2 Gtx 780s (titan Le) Be Bottlenecked By A 3770k ?

Hello,

I plan on upgrading my 2 GTX 680s to 2 780s when they come out in may. Hopefully. So with my 680s in SLI the bottleneck caused by my 3770k (stock) running pcie 3.0 8x 8x is about 1%, so really not that big of a deal.

But I wonder if that changes with cards like the Titan/Titan LE. Will they use much more bandwidth? And can I compensate that by overclocking the 3770k to like 4.8 GHz?

Thanks for your help

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Not at all, no. 3770k is probably the best gaming processor out there today (tends to beat the 3930k and Extreme processors), by the time the 700-series comes out, the Haswells will be out, most probably.

I don't think that not bottlenecking in very high-end SLI configurations is actually possible, but you will have no problem with a 3770k for the next couple years.

Well you can't get any better really for gaming than the i7 3770k so even if it does bottleneck, there's no other CPU available that will close the gap more....

I doubt that any cards in the foreseeable future will saturate more than PCIe 3.0x16, and if you get a bottleneck it will be barely noticeable, you should have no problems pushing 50+ fps in games like Crysis even. If you do have issues, then overclocking should fix them.

Two 780's in SLI is going to be killer.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Not at all, no. 3770k is probably the best gaming processor out there today (tends to beat the 3930k and Extreme processors), by the time the 700-series comes out, the Haswells will be out, most probably.

I don't think that not bottlenecking in very high-end SLI configurations is actually possible, but you will have no problem with a 3770k for the next couple years.

I have never seen a 3770k beat a 3930k in any game or program to date. Especially once the 3930k is overclocked, or at least clocked the same as the 3770k, its not even a competition. Now that being said its $600 depending where you look. So its "you get what you paid for". I am not saying that everyone should drop their 3770k's and buy an 3930k but saying that it beats it is simply just not true. :P

http://youtu.be/eLrGJWw6P3M?t=3m23s (note that here, when the 3770k beats the 3930k, the 3930k is at stock speeds, and the 3770k is at "max overclock")

May I please have an image signature?

I have never seen a 3770k beat a 3930k in any game or program to date. Especially once the 3930k is overclocked, or at least clocked the same as the 3770k, its not even a competition. Now that being said its $600 depending where you look. So its "you get what you paid for". I am not saying that everyone should drop their 3770k's and buy an 3930k but saying that it beats it is simply just not true. :P

http://youtu.be/eLrGJWw6P3M?t=3m23s (note that here, when the 3770k beats the 3930k, the 3930k is at stock speeds, and the 3770k is at "max overclock")

Reviewers all have. The 3930k will beat it out under the condition that the game supports more then 4 cores. In most real world benchmarks they're pretty similar in terms of gaming performance outside of Crysis 3. Even that video review showed the 3570k and 3770k within margin of error of the 3930k in GAMING benchmarks (Going both ways.) Of course the 3930k will blast both in benchmarks that use more then 4 cores. But looking at the single threaded performance (What's typically more important in gaming today) the 3770k beats out the 3930k in Cinebench. So again, you can go either way. If say you want to run more then 3 GPUs then you'll need 2011 for all the lanes. But in a 2 GPU configuration I don't see anything that could warrant a 3930k over a 3770k any day.

Reviewers all have. The 3930k will beat it out under the condition that the game supports more then 4 cores. In most real world benchmarks they're pretty similar in terms of gaming performance outside of Crysis 3. Even that video review showed the 3570k and 3770k within margin of error of the 3930k in GAMING benchmarks (Going both ways.) Of course the 3930k will blast both in benchmarks that use more then 4 cores. But looking at the single threaded performance (What's typically more important in gaming today) the 3770k beats out the 3930k in Cinebench. So again, you can go either way. If say you want to run more then 3 GPUs then you'll need 2011 for all the lanes. But in a 2 GPU configuration I don't see anything that could warrant a 3930k over a 3770k any day.

That was only when the 3930k was at stock and the 3770k was at a super oc. Although I agree that it is not practical are is much more reasonable to get a 3770k and just overclock it. Especially if you only are going to have 1 or 2 GPUs. The only reason I said anything is because on an even clock field, the 3930k will be a 3770k. 

That was only when the 3930k was at stock and the 3770k was at a super oc. Although I agree that it is not practical are is much more reasonable to get a 3770k and just overclock it. Especially if you only are going to have 1 or 2 GPUs. The only reason I said anything is because on an even clock field, the 3930k will be a 3770k. 

No, that was at stock in BF3 and TW2. Actually, in most gaming benchmarks the 3770k tends to out the 3930k by a frame or two. In BF3 the 3770k at stock had a minimum of 115 and a max of 160, the 3930k had a min of 115 and a max of 163. Which is a mere 1% difference for an average. Difference in TW2 seems extremely off as the 3570k bested the 3770k by 2FPS for a minimum where as it suddenly gains that back overclocked. People seem to greatly overestimate the need for 2011 within a gaming environment. It's true that if newer games start to use more cores, then the need will arise, but since most games don't use more then 4 cores the difference is extremely minimal and the difference found in Linus' testing could have come from not replicating the test perfectly each time.

There is a need for 2011 in systems that use more then 2 GPUs, but if you aren't the preferred setup will still be whatever chip is running the latest architecture.

No, that was at stock in BF3 and TW2. Actually, in most gaming benchmarks the 3770k tends to out the 3930k by a frame or two. In BF3 the 3770k at stock had a minimum of 115 and a max of 160, the 3930k had a min of 115 and a max of 163. Which is a mere 1% difference for an average. Difference in TW2 seems extremely off as the 3570k bested the 3770k by 2FPS for a minimum where as it suddenly gains that back overclocked. People seem to greatly overestimate the need for 2011 within a gaming environment. It's true that if newer games start to use more cores, then the need will arise, but since most games don't use more then 4 cores the difference is extremely minimal and the difference found in Linus' testing could have come from not replicating the test perfectly each time.

There is a need for 2011 in systems that use more then 2 GPUs, but if you aren't the preferred setup will still be whatever chip is running the latest architecture.

I guess it all depends if all you're doing is gaming. 

• 4 weeks later...

How about three 780s or titans in triple-sli? will 3770k (or even 4770k) be the  bottleneck of the system? Thx~~

How about three 780s or titans in triple-sli? will 3770k (or even 4770k) be the  bottleneck of the system? Thx~~

If you are running a Z77 chipset you will be bottlenecked because Z77 chipsets only have 16 PCI-E lanes and you three cards would have to share the bandwidth. If you plan on getting three cards, I would go with the X79 platform since it has more lanes.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Why does the 3770K beat the 3930k in single threaded areas?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hello,

I plan on upgrading my 2 GTX 680s to 2 780s when they come out in may. Hopefully. So with my 680s in SLI the bottleneck caused by my 3770k (stock) running pcie 3.0 8x 8x is about 1%, so really not that big of a deal.

But I wonder if that changes with cards like the Titan/Titan LE. Will they use much more bandwidth? And can I compensate that by overclocking the 3770k to like 4.8 GHz?

Thanks for your help

Yes you will get some bottleneck, but only in applications/games that need more than 4 cores + HT, but that bottleneck is very small so you should not worry.

2 Titans work nice on the 3770k overclocked, the only problem will be if you want to go over that.

As Linus stated no matter what build you have there will be a part bottlenecking another part, so i wouldn't worry if i were you

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)