MS Kinect Sensors used to monitor S.Korean De-Militarized Zone with North

nicehat

xbox-one-kinect-sensor_1280.0_cinema_640

MC's Kinect sensor is serving as the basis for motion tracking along the four kilometre wide by 248 kilometres long DMZ (a depopulated no-man's land of heavily fortified fences that bristles with the landmines and listening posts of two nations that technically remain at war).

The Kinect based software devd by Ko Jae-Kwan, founder/president of Saewan Co., has been bought up by the military because of its ability to differentiate between human and animal movement. "Existing sensors, which had been in place along the border, were highly efficient but could not tell the difference between humans and animals, sending wrong signals frequently," Ko said. The new sensors have been in place along certain sections of the DMZ since August last year, he added.

Fun fact: Five South Korean generals and nine mid-level officers were removed from their posts or disciplined in 2012 after a defecting North Korean soldier simply walked undetected across the border and knocked on the door of a guard post to surrender. I should mention that this old sensor array was powered by a Nintendo Entertainment System.  

So next time you feel like bitching about the "always on" functionality, remember, somewhere that functionality is helping keep the N.Koreans on their own damn lawn. 'Murica

epic-north-korea-military-funny-13655600

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/175955-south-korea-now-using-kinect-to-monitor-track-down-north-koreans-in-the-dmz

http://www.zdnet.com/xbox-kinect-guards-korean-border-7000026028/

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

WHY YOU INSENSITIVE LITTLE BASTARD I JUST, I JUST dont care

god's love ,Exodus 31:15 , Deuteronomy 17:2-7 , Deuteronomy 13:13-19 , Leviticus 24:16 , Leviticus 20:9, Leviticus 20:10 , Leviticus 20:13 , Deuteronomy 21:18-21 , Matthew 18: 7-9 , 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 , 1 Timothy 2:11-12 , Leviticus 25:44, Exodus 21:20 , Titus 2:9 , Isaiah 13:15/16/18 , Hosea 13:16 , Numbers 31:17-18

That's really interesting - I wouldn't have thought that the Kinect Sensors would have enough resolution to cover anything more than a area the size of a small room, especially considering that it uses reflected IR light - can those few LEDs in the Kinect really illuminate more than ~10 meters?

I need more SSDs.

@pcman2000

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it lsooks like they just bought the software. Meaning they can use their own higher resolution cameras with stronger lights in conjunction with it... So there aren't physical Xbox kinnects sat on the Sith Korean wall. That would look very strange indeed!

Biomedical Science undergraduate living in Oxford
-.-
PC specs: http://goo.gl/wiRFSi

@pcman2000

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it lsooks like they just bought the software. Meaning they can use their own higher resolution cameras with stronger lights in conjunction with it... So there aren't physical Xbox kinnects sat on the Sith Korean wall. That would look very strange indeed!

There is a quote button  ;) 

Its the software and not the sensors them selves, makes sense if the software can detect the difference between human and animal movement, it is probably a huge improvement 

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

There is a quote button  ;)

I couldn't find it on the mobile version of the site. 

Biomedical Science undergraduate living in Oxford
-.-
PC specs: http://goo.gl/wiRFSi

I couldn't find it on the mobile version of the site.

Touch the post and it will appear (I'm on mobile and quoted you).

Hey come on guys, be nice. After all Microsoft now has to somehow sell the kinect to someone since their plan to deploy it as an always-online NSA botnet has fallen short apparently and now they've got this useless tech nobody wants and nothing to do with it.

-------

Current Rig

-------