NAS Build with SSD Cache - Advice Needed

hkeatmy
26 minutes ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

Or consider this.

2 IronWolf 6TB drives will cost you $140 each.  Run them in a simple mirrored config.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-IronWolf-7200RPM-Internal-3-5-Inch/dp/B07H1W6214/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=ironwolf+6tb&qid=1572451603&sr=8-2

You'll spend $280 on two 6TB drives, instead of near $390 on 6 2TB drives.

Your array will have the same capacity, use less power, greater reliability, and you'll get the 10 year warranty.

Thanks for sharing! I didn't check prices before, but this could be a good deal. Less redundancy but still with high endurance due to the nature of Ironwolf.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

@seagate_surfer @Thirdgen89GTA

okay great guys. I've decided to buy it during black friday sales and ship to my country. Because after chatting with Amazon Support Staff they said that the coverage will extend to where they ship the products and I can ship it back for any RMA on their expense. Thanks a whole lot!

8 hours ago, hkeatmy said:

okay great guys. I've decided to buy it during black friday sales and ship to my country. Because after chatting with Amazon Support Staff they said that the coverage will extend to where they ship the products and I can ship it back for any RMA on their expense. Thanks a whole lot!

You'll want to research how to burn-in a drive.

Burning a drive in is basically hitting the drive with a heavy workload to find any faults before you actually put your data on it.  That way if it fails due to MFG defect you know before you put any data on it. Burn in can take 2-3 days to complete.

As for Warranty?  You'll want to register the drives with Seagate when you get them, and then if something happens do an Advanced RMA.  With an advanced RAM you pay a fee, and send your drive in.  They immediately send you out a new drive before receiving yours.  When they receive your drive they refund the fee.  I'm not sure how Seagate handles it, but WD has always made it super easy to deal with.

Keeping the drives cool is paramount to longevity.  The operating range is usually listed something like 10-50°C for most drives.  The Iron wolfs say 60°C max.  But honestly I'd shoot for sub 40°C operation.  They'll last a lot longer.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

On 10/30/2019 at 12:10 PM, hkeatmy said:

Oh, yes! These are great news, do it! 

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 10/30/2019 at 8:45 PM, Thirdgen89GTA said:

You'll want to research how to burn-in a drive.

Burning a drive in is basically hitting the drive with a heavy workload to find any faults before you actually put your data on it.  That way if it fails due to MFG defect you know before you put any data on it. Burn in can take 2-3 days to complete.

As for Warranty?  You'll want to register the drives with Seagate when you get them, and then if something happens do an Advanced RMA.  With an advanced RAM you pay a fee, and send your drive in.  They immediately send you out a new drive before receiving yours.  When they receive your drive they refund the fee.  I'm not sure how Seagate handles it, but WD has always made it super easy to deal with.

Keeping the drives cool is paramount to longevity.  The operating range is usually listed something like 10-50°C for most drives.  The Iron wolfs say 60°C max.  But honestly I'd shoot for sub 40°C operation.  They'll last a lot longer.

This is the link to check the warranty and down below in the page you will find the option to register and to open an RMA case if needed:

@seagate_surfer 

I just realized, but are you part of the customer service team of seagate? Judging by your comments on various posts, you look like you work in seagate!

If so, could you tell me if my product warranty is valid for an RMA locally in my region if I buy from somewhere else like the US? In another words, is there international warranty on the products?

21 hours ago, hkeatmy said:

@seagate_surfer 

I just realized, but are you part of the customer service team of seagate? Judging by your comments on various posts, you look like you work in seagate!

If so, could you tell me if my product warranty is valid for an RMA locally in my region if I buy from somewhere else like the US? In another words, is there international warranty on the products?

Yes and yes! I work for Seagate and I am multilingual too, not part of customer service exactly thou. I create content here and also in Latin American and European forums and yes you are covered, I have seen people getting stuff from the states getting coverage in their mother countries, as long as you are not in a embargoed country or restricted country you should be fine:

https://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements/embargo-country-notice/

If you wanna know if we have distributors available out of the states you can filter by country the resellers and distributors using the following link:

https://www.seagate.com/where-to-buy/