CPU usage (laptop) is always 90+%

Hi there,

So a few days ago I noticed something... 

My laptop's processor (i7-8750H) is basically always above 90% usage, also in idle! It even hits 100% a lot of the times. I have no clue what to do... is it okay that this happens or is there something severely wrong?

I also have 16GB of Ram and a GTX1060 6GB if that's something that you have to know.

Thanks in advance!

Elwyn

image.thumb.png.5a9c7db8fa75c466e5d65166bd84e721.png

19 minutes ago, ElwynSB said:

Hi there,

So a few days ago I noticed something... 

My laptop's processor (i7-8750H) is basically always above 90% usage, also in idle! It even hits 100% a lot of the times. I have no clue what to do... is it okay that this happens or is there something severely wrong?

I also have 16GB of Ram and a GTX1060 6GB if that's something that you have to know.

Thanks in advance!

Elwyn

image.thumb.png.5a9c7db8fa75c466e5d65166bd84e721.png

You may have downloaded something nefarious that is using your cpu to do something for itself. Anything you downloaded in the past little while before it happend? This is 100% not normal behaviour

When you click the processor precentage, what programs come on top of the list? You can check the details tab and sort by CPU precentage there too

3700X | NH-D15 | X470-F | 2x16GB @3200MHz | RTX 2060 Ventus OC

RM650x | Fractal Design R4 | NVMe 970 EVO Plus 512GB | SATA 850 EVO 512GB

<Build Log>

image.thumb.png.0b5b9a368313dc1cd7fe2ff7ec3bdba4.pngWhen I go to the details tab, it shows me that "Non-active systemprocesses" is using the most processing power. I have no clue what it could be though, is there any way to find out what it is?

*Sorry for the late reply too, we're breaking down our kitchen

"System Idle Process" is how much your PC is not using. Check the graph. Is it full?

https://www.howtogeek.com/411569/what-is-system-idle-process-and-why-is-it-using-so-much-cpu/

[edit]

This won't turn the graph high, or the system process list red. You need to see which process is turning it red (get the list up, click order when it is red, the post you gave above shows it yellow and 50% system idle).

If only on boot, it might be drivers loading up etc. If all the time, might be windows update. System monitor can help find it.

Hmmm yeah.. I think they might have been updates then, since it's all fine now

Thanks for the replies!