Question about upgrading intel to ryzen?

I'm planning to upgrade my intel cpu and motherboard to the AMD ryzens for increased cpu performance. At this point, I see that there are ALOT of generations of the ryzen CPUs. So I'm here to ask which generation is worth getting in terms of their price-performance ratio. Also after finding the best generation, which one would you recommend that would suit my needs (listed below)? Ensure that the cpu is under 300$ or slightly over that at the most

Needs:

-Playing cpu intensive games like Arma 3 with modding, including gta v with huge mods

-Some video editing (not too intensive)

-Won't bottleneck higher end GPUs like the rtx 2080

Optional question:

As you read before, I have to upgrade my motherboard also. What motherboard would you recommend me? Not doing anything crazy like OC'ing or SLI/CROSSFIRE but looking for one that has similar layout to my current asrock B250M PRO4 motherboard (has to be under 90$). 

Curr. system specs:

I7-7700

MSI RX 480 ARMOR OC 4gb 

Crucial (2x8) 16gb of DDR4-2400 RAM

EVGA BQ 500W

NZXT S340

AOC G2260VWQ6, 1080p 75hz gaming monitor

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

whats your total budget? 3700x is around $330 USD and about 12-15% faster than the 2700x which is around $200 now

5 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

question

the only options that spring to mind are

1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($194.79 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $309.78

or 2:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($327.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $417.88

both of them should be fine according to:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

wouldnt really go with any 2000 ryzen cpus as the 3000 ones are clearly better at gaming

depending on the resolution a 3600 might bottleneck your 2080

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

1 minute ago, Derrk said:

whats your total budget? 3700x is around $330 USD and about 12-15% faster than the 2700x which is around $200 now

wouldn't a 3700x be clearly better for gaming?

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

10 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

I'm planning to upgrade my intel cpu and motherboard to the AMD ryzens for increased cpu performance. At this point, I see that there are ALOT of generations of the ryzen CPUs. So I'm here to ask which generation is worth getting in terms of their price-performance ratio. Also after finding the best generation, which one would you recommend that would suit my needs (listed below)? Ensure that the cpu is under 300$ or slightly over that at the most

Needs:

-Playing cpu intensive games like Arma 3 with modding, including gta v with huge mods

-Some video editing (not too intensive)

-Won't bottleneck higher end GPUs like the rtx 2080

Optional question:

As you read before, I have to upgrade my motherboard also. What motherboard would you recommend me? Not doing anything crazy like OC'ing or SLI/CROSSFIRE but looking for one that has similar layout to my current asrock B250M PRO4 motherboard (has to be under 90$). 

You could try a ryzen 5 3600 and a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M, motherboard is 90 USD on amazon and the Ryzen 5 3600 is about 200 USD. The Ryzen 5 3600 is pretty nice I have one and while I’m still having trouble getting my new build to work it’s pretty damn good as far as I can tell.

1 minute ago, Derrk said:

Budget for mobo + cpu? Or just CPU? I already listed the approximate budget for the cpu. 

Do you want more slower cores or fewer faster cores? Because right now, the 8-core 2nd gen Ryzen chips go for around the same price as the 6-core 3rd gen chips. 3rd gen runs on 7nm TMSC (Which is equivalent to Intel's supposed 10nm), while 2nd gen runs on 14nm FinFET. 3rd gen will give you better single-core performance, but at the price range, will offer you fewer boards.

Motherboard options are far less important since all but the A-series boards (Which they seem to have discontinued past A320) are overclockable.

Based on price-performance ratios, it really depends on what your usage looks like and what you want.

16 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

What is your entire current system and monitor resolution/refresh rate

And what is your budget/country for the upgrades?

If you only plan to game at 60hz the 2000 series is plenty good enough.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, LauriHimself said:

wouldn't a 3700x be clearly better for gaming?

yes slightly since it has a faster single-core speed. 2700x is still pretty good for gaming

1 minute ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Budget for mobo + cpu? Or just CPU? I already listed the approximate budget for the cpu. 

total budget. i'll probably recommend a b450 tomahawk as the mobo either way lol

2 minutes ago, Derrk said:

yes slightly since it has a faster single-core speed. 2700x is still pretty good for gaming

total budget. i'll probably recommend a b450 tomahawk as the mobo either way lol

350-400 but no more

350-400 but no more

i'd recommend a 2700x and b450 tomahawk coming to around $315.

you could go with a 3600/3600x that has slightly faster single-core speed, which would give you a tiny fps bump in games, but it only has 6 cores. 3600x paired with same b450 would be about $350

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What is your entire current system and monitor resolution/refresh rate

And what is your budget/country for the upgrades?

If you only plan to game at 60hz the 2000 series is plenty good enough.

1.All that info is now included in the original post

2. 350-400 USD but no more

2 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

1.All that info is now included in the original post

2. 350-400 USD but no more

There shouldn't be anything wrong with using your i7 7700 for even 100hz gaming and basic video editing

If something is slowing down probably try reinstalling windows or adding an SSD.

If you are going to upgrade to a 144hz or 240hz display grab an R7 3700X + 3600mhz Cl16 memory

If you are going to upgrade to a 4k 60hz display at some point grab an R7 2700/X + 3200mhz Cl16 memory

Or buy my 1950X if you live in san diego.

I'd also just grab an RX 5700/XT whenever you upgrade your display, it's likely to still be the best value GPU in the future.

If you just want to improve your gaming experience upgrade your Display and GPU before your CPU.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

There shouldn't be anything wrong with using your i7 7700 for even 100hz gaming and basic video editing

If something is slowing down probably try reinstalling windows or adding an SSD.

If you are going to upgrade to a 144hz or 240hz display grab an R7 3700X + 3600mhz Cl16 memory

If you are going to upgrade to a 4k 60hz display at some point grab an R7 2700/X + 3200mhz Cl16 memory

Or buy my 1950X if you live in san diego.

I'd also just grab an RX 5700/XT whenever you upgrade your display, it's likely to still be the best value GPU in the future.

If you just want to improve your gaming experience upgrade your Display and GPU before your CPU.

There's nothing wrong performance wise except for Arma 3 (gets laggy with a good amount of mods installed), I just want to upgrade to the stronger ryzen cpus due to the good things I've been hearing about them + a new motherboard that has further upgrade paths (my mobo doesn't have much of that). It's not going to be 100% immediate upgrade. 

If the gpu guarantees a better framerate in Arma 3 modded though, I might look into it.

There's nothing wrong performance wise except for Arma 3 (gets laggy with a good amount of mods installed), I just want to upgrade to the stronger ryzen cpus due to the good things I've been hearing about them + a new motherboard that has further upgrade paths (my mobo doesn't have much of that). It's not going to be 100% immediate upgrade. 

If the gpu guarantees a better framerate in Arma 3 modded though, I might look into it.

You aren't necessarily making a significant change to your upgrade path with AM4. We've already had 3 CPU iterations for it, and AMD only promised to keep the socket up until the end of 2020. Unless it's just your inner enthusiast wanting an upgrade, you aren't going to see much difference with what you do on your computer if you get a new chip.

2 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Arma 3

That's just Arma 3 being Arma 3 I think.

Also double check benchmarks, and some Arma forum somewhere, but from what I've seen something is completely broken for Ryzen in Arma 3 and the fps is terrible in general.

There''s only going to be one more generation of Ryzen CPUs, and it's just a minor upgrade to Ryzen 3000, most likely just a 200-300mhz gain with 7nm + or something like that, minimal IPC gain.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

There''s only going to be one more generation of Ryzen CPUs,

Where did you get that idea from? AMD never said anything about the Ryzen branding changing, only that it guaranteed AM4 socket support up to the end of 2020. Ryzen refers to the CPU lineup, similar to the EPYC naming scheme, not just CPUs on the AM4 socket. They already changed the Threadripper socket without a name change to Threadripper itself.

2 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

Where did you get that idea from? AMD never said anything about the Ryzen branding changing, only that it

One more CPU release on AM4* most likely.

Unless they know they can get even more out of it for Ryzen 5000 near the end of 2020 or in early 2021.

At a certain point they're probably going to design AM4+ or AM5 for new features and just a new clean slate for the motherboard specs/design goals.

Spoiler