Can you link two computers directly via Ethernet

ZcanKal

Hi, I've been having problems connecting to my Minecraft server, which is about 10 feet away, via internet, so I'm wondering if I just plug the two computers into eachother directly via ethernet if I could connect to the server that way?  And if it requires extra setup, what do I need to do?  I'd plug both into my router, unfortunately I can't do that due to the router being upstairs and at least through 2 hallways.

All you need to do is setup Static IP addresses on each machine. If windows is running on both they should both automatically receive 169.254.0.0/16 addresses but I'll assume the server address should be static.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

All you need to do is setup Static IP addresses on each machine. If windows is running on both they should both automatically receive 169.254.0.0/16 addresses but I'll assume the server address should be static.

Alright, that's definitely closer.  Might I ask, how do you set up a Static IP address?

Yes you can. Go to networking and sharing center, then click on Ethernet and properties, IpV4 and use the following IP:

for PC N°1 ip address 192.168.0.10 gateway you can set 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0

for PC N°2 ip address 192.168.0.20 gateway you can set 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0

1. Hit the Windows keys
  2. Type "Network Connections" hit Enter
  3. Right click the Ethernet adapter you want to configure -> Properties
  4. Double-click "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", a window will pop up.
  5. Change "Obtain an IP..." to "Use the following..."
  6. Here you'll have to decide on your own but personally if this is an closed P2P network I'd use:
    Server: 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252
    Client: 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.252
  7. Click OK, OK again.
  8. Check the IP of the interface by opening CMD and running:
    ipconfig

Your Ethernet adapter should show up with the information mentioned above.

9. You'll be able to verify that they can talk to one another by having them ping each other:

ping 10.0.0.1
    ping 10.0.0.2
  10. If the system says it got replies then you're good to go.

41 minutes ago, IgorM said:

Yes you can. Go to networking and sharing center, then click on Ethernet and properties, IpV4 and use the following IP:

for PC N°1 ip address 192.168.0.10 gateway you can set 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0

for PC N°2 ip address 192.168.0.20 gateway you can set 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0

When I click on networking and sharing center, all I get is just the regular settings page?

40 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:
  1. Hit the Windows keys
  2. Type "Network Connections" hit Enter
  3. Right click the Ethernet adapter you want to configure -> Properties
  4. Double-click "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", a window will pop up.
  5. Change "Obtain an IP..." to "Use the following..."
  6. Here you'll have to decide on your own but personally if this is an closed P2P network I'd use:

Server: 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252
    Client: 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.252
  7. Click OK, OK again.
  8. Check the IP of the interface by opening CMD and running:

ipconfig

Your Ethernet adapter should show up with the information mentioned above.

9. You'll be able to verify that they can talk to one another by having them ping each other:

ping 10.0.0.1
    ping 10.0.0.2
  10. If the system says it got replies then you're good to go.

I'm sorry, I'm new to networking.  I can't seem to find Network connections using the start menu, is this for Windows 10 or an older version?

1 minute ago, ZcanKal said:

I'm sorry, I'm new to networking.  I can't seem to find Network connections using the start menu, is this for Windows 10 or an older version?

It's for Windows 10 Pro Build 1903.

You can also get there by:

1. Right-click the Windows icon
  2. Network Connections
  3. Change adapter options

34 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

It's for Windows 10 Pro Build 1903.

You can also get there by:

1. Right-click the Windows icon
  2. Network Connections
  3. Change adapter options

Thank you.  The two are both receiving data now.  You wouldn't happen to know how to get a port to bind to the new IP, would you?

16 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

Thank you.  The two are both receiving data now.  You wouldn't happen to know how to get a port to bind to the new IP, would you?

Physical ethernet port or virtual port numbers?

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Physical ethernet port or virtual port numbers?

Virtual port numbers, I assume.  As I said in the original post, I was trying to get my Minecraft server on another machine to have a stable connection.

2 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

Virtual port numbers, I assume.  As I said in the original post, I was trying to get my Minecraft server on another machine to have a stable connection.

I can't help there. I haven't touched Minecraft in a very long time. Off the top of my head I'll guess perhaps the connection issues could be related to Windows Firewall.